PDA

View Full Version : Pixelation - drop outs

Hamram
14-10-17, 00:27
My Ultimo has the dual tuner block for satellite, and it is working just fine, until the rain starts. In heavy rain, the picture gets pixelated and sometimes drops out. Not necessarily the whole picture, but maybe the lower 25% of it, or scattered around the whole screen, or maybe a stripe in the middle or in the top of the picture, and only for a second, befor it goes back to normal for a few seconds. The signal ratio is unaffected and still strong, but the picture is unstable. If I test under this conditions with the original box or with my Duo, the picture is just fine. Any ideas on what might be wrong..?:confused:

Hamram
16-10-17, 16:10
Nothing..?

roybach
16-10-17, 20:29
Looks like a weak signal problem which gets weaker when it rains ,first check dish aligment , the ultimo may have a slightly lower sensative tuner than the other boxes and as the signal is border line the rain might be enough to cause pixelisation.

Hamram
22-10-17, 14:12
The dish is aligned just perfect, so thats why this is so strange. My other boxes are not affected at all, even if the rain is really heavy, but the Ultimo is useless in just ordinary/heavy rain. Bear in mind that the signal indicator isn't affected, as it shows good signal even if the picture is actig strange.

adm
22-10-17, 18:10
The dish is aligned just perfect, so thats why this is so strange. My other boxes are not affected at all, even if the rain is really heavy, but the Ultimo is useless in just ordinary/heavy rain. Bear in mind that the signal indicator isn't affected, as it shows good signal even if the picture is actig strange.

The difference between boxes could be a damaged down-lead from the LNB which could be getting internally wet when it rains rather than a reduction in signal received by the LNB. Does the degradation of the picture extend beyond the period when it is actually raining, possibly indication a damp cable problem rather than signal rain fade. With some cable it is possible for water to run down the hollow dielectric if the F connection at the LNB has been waterproofed.

thecaretaker
22-10-17, 19:14
My original Ultimo did this. When the wind blew and slightly wobbled the dish arm it would pixelate for just a second. Usually worse on HD channels. The Ultimo was very susceptible to any small movement. I took the motor off my dish to try to eliminate any play on the feed arm. But it still did it in windy weather.

Yet, same dish (and cable) on different boxes or directly to the Samsung TV it didn't happen. Now I have an Ultimo 4K and despite storm Brian it didn't fail to provide a perfect picture. I get Magpies sitting on my LMB and even they don't upset it on the Ultimo 4K. For some reason I could never fix the older Ultimo tuners had an extremely narrow tolerance. I contemplated getting a dish with a feed arm that was brased but loved my Fracaro square dish and didn't really want to replace it.

Hamram
07-11-17, 14:54
The difference between boxes could be a damaged down-lead from the LNB which could be getting internally wet when it rains rather than a reduction in signal received by the LNB. Does the degradation of the picture extend beyond the period when it is actually raining, possibly indication a damp cable problem rather than signal rain fade. With some cable it is possible for water to run down the hollow dielectric if the F connection at the LNB has been waterproofed.

I've tested this, and changed around, but still the only box making trouble, is the Ultimo. I even put i a brand new cable, switch and LNB. The tuner block in the Ultimo is of the twin type. Maybe the problem can be related to this..? Anybody..?

Hamram
07-11-17, 14:56
My original Ultimo did this. When the wind blew and slightly wobbled the dish arm it would pixelate for just a second. Usually worse on HD channels. The Ultimo was very susceptible to any small movement. I took the motor off my dish to try to eliminate any play on the feed arm. But it still did it in windy weather.

Yet, same dish (and cable) on different boxes or directly to the Samsung TV it didn't happen. Now I have an Ultimo 4K and despite storm Brian it didn't fail to provide a perfect picture. I get Magpies sitting on my LMB and even they don't upset it on the Ultimo 4K. For some reason I could never fix the older Ultimo tuners had an extremely narrow tolerance. I contemplated getting a dish with a feed arm that was brased but loved my Fracaro square dish and didn't really want to replace it.

So you suspect the Ultimo itself? Did you ever find any fix for this..?

Hamram
07-11-17, 20:19
I just noticed that the problem seems to be worse on high frequencies. On Thor, 12015H is one of the worst.

twol
07-11-17, 20:26
Out of curiosity:) At the start you say that your dish alignment is perfect - how do you know this?

Hamram
08-11-17, 21:04
Out of curiosity:) At the start you say that your dish alignment is perfect - how do you know this?

1. My satellite finder tool says so
2. Only a millimeter off in any direction, gives lower signal
3. None of my other four boxes are affected, and they give perfect picture in wind and rain, even snow.

Sicilian
08-11-17, 23:25
3. None of my other four boxes are affected, and they give perfect picture in wind and rain, even snow.

Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe....

twol
09-11-17, 08:38
1. My satellite finder tool says so
2. Only a millimeter off in any direction, gives lower signal

Which country are you in???

Hamram
10-11-17, 14:54
Sorry, but I find that very hard to believe....

What..? Well, that's the way it is. Two Vu+ Duo and two original from Canal Digital. What exactly is so difficult to believe..? :confused:

Hamram
10-11-17, 14:55
Which country are you in???

South western coast of Norway. 70 cm dish is the usual size, but mine is 105 cm.

twol
10-11-17, 15:54
South western coast of Norway. 70 cm dish is the usual size, but mine is 105 cm.

OK, which satellite(s) are you picking up and if more than one is the issue with all satellites or just one?
28.2E can be difficult from Norway due to the tight beam for the FTA channels.

Hamram
10-11-17, 23:08
Only Thor, 1W. But the strange thing is that only the Ultimo is affected. I just thought I'd ask if any of you maybe knew something about this. As I see it, it is either the Ultimo itself or the tuner block. The one I got, is the dual tuner.

twol
11-11-17, 07:25
Certainly some tuners are better than others, as I went through the Xtrend range I found that the samsung tuners they were using on later models to lack sensitivity on weak or 8psk signals.