PDA

View Full Version : rootfile system

softlad
09-10-17, 09:02
ok where to start..im trying to update my sf4008 ,,but no matter what usb flash drive 8gb I use or which usb slot on the box I use,,i cannot get it too work,,on the display I get rootfile system then booting...that's as far as it get..it just hangs on booting.yes ive wiped the pen drive using the hp file .
and tried 8 different pen drives..all 8gb or under,,ive got nothing connected too the box only the power.been trying all weekend but getting no where ,,any help or advice please..thank you

Emulated
09-10-17, 09:12
Try flashing with a different image or a previous one to the one you are using. Try a flash drive with less capacity.

softlad
09-10-17, 09:16
Try flashing with a different image or a previous one to the one you are using. Try a flash drive with less capacity.

thx..yes ive tried with 2gb and 4gb pen drives..and also used various openvix images

Willo3092
09-10-17, 09:43
This recovery option from twol sorted the same problem for someone I know:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?55733-Unable-to-flash-the-Octagon-SF4008-by-USB&highlight=Unable+flash+the+Octagon+SF4008+USB%3F%3 F

twol
09-10-17, 09:49
Have a look at this post .......... http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?55733-Unable-to-flash-the-Octagon-SF4008-by-USB and follow.

Also some people forget the SF4008 usb flash process, namely:-
1) Switch off the device (without power) at the mains switch.
2) Insert the USB stick into the USB port on the front.
3) Switch the appliance on at the mains switch.
4) Press the front power button.

Just realised beaten to the post!!

softlad
09-10-17, 10:12
This recovery option from twol sorted the same problem for someone I know:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?55733-Unable-to-flash-the-Octagon-SF4008-by-USB&highlight=Unable+flash+the+Octagon+SF4008+USB%3F%3 F

Have a look at this post .......... http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?55733-Unable-to-flash-the-Octagon-SF4008-by-USB and follow.

Also some people forget the SF4008 usb flash process, namely:-
1) Switch off the device (without power) at the mains switch.
2) Insert the USB stick into the USB port on the front.
3) Switch the appliance on at the mains switch.
4) Press the front power button.

Just realised beaten to the post!!

thx for your help and advice lads,,but still having same problem..it goes through the rootfile system,,then shows booting on the front display,,but just hangs there,,it doesn't restart ,,the only booting it will be getting is from my size 10's :smash:

twol
09-10-17, 10:58
Does your PC/router show any IP address for the box? If so is there any internet access to the box?

softlad
09-10-17, 11:23
Does your PC/router show any IP address for the box? If so is there any internet access to the box?

the Ethernet is flashing flickering on the back of the box

twol
09-10-17, 11:44
If the receiver is on a lan, then see if there is an IP address and try a login connect with Putty.
If you get there issue an Init 4 and then enigma2
The box is probably not to that stage but worth trying

softlad
09-10-17, 11:48
If the receiver is on a lan, then see if there is an IP address and try a login connect with Putty.
If you get there issue an Init 4 and then enigma2
The box is probably not to that stage but worth trying

sorry but that has gone right over my head :confused:

kipp3r
09-10-17, 14:38
I had same problem after updating online a few days ago and it ended up that the "update bin" file was missing from my back up image on my memory stick.

softlad
09-10-17, 17:02
would anybody have a back up file they could send me at all please..ive followed all I can but seem too be stuck at a dead end,,the box goes through the rootfile system then shows up booting,,but just hangs there...I really don't no what else too do or try..:(

twol
09-10-17, 17:17
As a kind of last resort:) download latest from OpenATV and try that

softlad
09-10-17, 17:20
As a kind of last resort:) download latest from OpenATV and try that

I'm afraid I already tried that about 10mins ago...it goes through same set up,,but hangs on booting side...just wont go past that...I just want too thank you all for your help and advice,,but I'm now at a loss,,,

twol
09-10-17, 18:13
Ha√e you actually tried to see if you can access the receiver still through its IP?

1999gtv
09-10-17, 20:29
Did you follow Willo's advice in post 4 and download the recovery zip. Extract it and copy the 2 files into the folder of the image you are attempting to flash as this was the resolution to someone on another forum who had the same issues as you are having.

softlad
10-10-17, 12:01
Did you follow Willo's advice in post 4 and download the recovery zip. Extract it and copy the 2 files into the folder of the image you are attempting to flash as this was the resolution to someone on another forum who had the same issues as you are having.

hi..yes done and followed the recovery zip...but still same,,goes through the process..just hangs on booting,,.it doesn't restart ..just hangs ....
again I cant thank everyone enough for help/advice..i just don't no what else too try...

Tunder
15-10-17, 18:25
Hello softlad
I had the same issue before, try the recovery file and it did not work, What I did was , got a new USB memory stick and loaded the Egami image from May/2017 and that work for me and haven't seen this issue again.
Regards.
Chewie

twol
15-10-17, 19:40
If you can load an image, you can flash any image:)

softlad
16-10-17, 08:09
Hello softlad
I had the same issue before, try the recovery file and it did not work, What I did was , got a new USB memory stick and loaded the Egami image from May/2017 and that work for me and haven't seen this issue again.
Regards.
Chewie

If you can load an image, you can flash any image:)

hi lads...again I just cant thank you enough for your help and advice...ive brought 5 different flash drives..along with my existing flash drives 4gb to 8gb.had all kind of boxes in the past and never had any problems flashing boxes..tried all images possible,,,it just goes too the rootfile system then wont go past the booting stage,,just hangs..so I guess I'm going have too send it back too wos :(

john doe
16-10-17, 10:15
hi lads...again I just cant thank you enough for your help and advice...ive brought 5 different flash drives..along with my existing flash drives 4gb to 8gb.had all kind of boxes in the past and never had any problems flashing boxes..tried all images possible,,,it just goes too the rootfile system then wont go past the booting stage,,just hangs..so I guess I'm going have too send it back too wos :(

when I received my sf4008 for the first time (flashed with openatv, as vix was not out) . I had the exact same issue as you. I tried 5 usb stick and non of them would take. I went out and bought a new usb stick (sandisk 3.0 16gb) used the documents attached and flashed successfully with openatv.

I looked into this after, to see why the 5 various usb sticks didn't work. I found that the laptop I was using had some setting in device manager that was corrupting the sticks, as they would not even store documents on them. if you google this there is info out there to correct this issue. if you have access to another pc try that with the new usb or look on google. its defo from the device manager on your pc.

softlad
19-10-17, 13:03
just a quick update..ended up sending the box back too wos..and ive now received a email saying its been sent back too octagon for repair as its still under warranty...thx for help and advice