PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] No tune on some cable channels

jsjazz
03-10-17, 23:34
Hi- apologies if stupid question, but I have a VU+ Duo2 running release 5.0.027 with twin satellite tuner and cable tuner. I can use ABM to get my cable channels (can't get cable channels using cable scan or manual scan with cable tuner), but a few of the channels e.g. BT Sport 1 (HD or SD) come up with error "Tune failed". Searched for this error and most comments are about satellite rather than cable, talking about alignment and so on. Presumably with cable if I can get a ignal for most channels I should get all channels?

I ran software update- no updates. I think I am on the latest version of the image.
If I try to update ABM config files I get error Incompatible versions 2.7>2.8. What does this mean? Is this relevant?

Thank you.

timofee
04-10-17, 14:02
Do a full manual scan - menu - setup - service searching - tuner config - select Tuner that says DVB-C (normally C)

Set used service scan type to provider and provider to scan to VM

Then back to service searching - manual scan - set tuner to Tuner C - set type to complete - ok

That should find about 500-600 channels within five minutes

jsjazz
04-10-17, 22:22
Thanks for the reply. Did that- Main Menu, Setup, Tuner Config, Tuner Setup, Tuner C DVB-C NIM (SSH108) (DVB-C). Tuner type DVB-C, Configuration mode enabled, Network ID 41011 (I am in E. London- I think this is right?), Used service scan type Provider, Country United Kingdom, Region VM UK (All Systems)
Main Menu, Setup, Tuner Config, Manual Scan, Tuner C, Type of scan Complete, Network scan yes, Clear before scan no, Only free scan No. Pressed OK, got only 400 channels. Still quite a few channels "Tune failed", and a few really glitchy, like poor signal- (but why should that happen with a signal down a cable?).
Any other ideas?

abu baniaz
04-10-17, 23:48
If signal is too strong, use an attenuator. If signal is too low, use a powered splitter.

jsjazz
05-10-17, 09:49
Picture is fine on 95% of channels- so I assume the signal is OK. Would there be different levels of signal for different channels even though the signal is coming down the same cable?
Anyway, these faulty channels were working fine a few weeks ago, but now I'm getting a tune failed error, while the vast majority still work fine. Interestingly, the SD version of BT Sport 1 is fine just the HD version says no Tune. BT 2 and 3 HD are fine.

abu baniaz
05-10-17, 12:04
They are on different frequencies.

timofee
05-10-17, 13:16
Try the manual scan again, but use some different parameters.

Configuration mode.............................................. ......enabled,
Network ID .................................................. ........0000 - not 41011
Used service scan type.............................................. ...... Provider
Provider to scan.............................................. ..................try VM UK ex CW - if that doesn't work try one of the other VM UK options

If that still only gets you 400 channels, with some channels glitchy, then follow the other advice in this thread about checking the signal.

abu baniaz
05-10-17, 13:30
I think you have wrong netid. unless you are more essex than london.

netid does not matter if you are using the scanning in E2 instead of ABM

jsjazz
05-10-17, 22:06
Ok used Network ID 00000 and tried all 5 VM options. Got most channels with Region VM UK (all systems) - 516. Others were less e.g. VM UK (ex CW) 477, VM UK (Telewest) 277. Even with 516 channels detected, no BT Sport HD (SD version found), no Sky Hits SD (HD found), no sky Thriller HD (SD found), no Sky sports cricket SD (HD found). At least one channel still glitchy.
I suppose thats why when I run ABM and zap to BT Sport HD it says No tune- because the channel isn't being picked up!
So how can I check the signal strength for cable? On satellite channels it just comes up in the info bar.

jsjazz
05-10-17, 22:27
OK update. I have a splitter for the cable and remembered that sometimes VM adjust the power settings depending on the signals bouncing back. I disconnected and reconnected the main cable and voila! All channels back!
Thanks for the help guys- I've learnt something.

One last question- how do I chack the signal power level? Do I need a stand alone meter or is there a reading somewhere in the image?

timofee
06-10-17, 13:34
There is nothing in any enigma2 image that helps with cable signal strength.

You can see the SNR and AGC displayed, but the data has no useful meaning.

jsjazz
06-10-17, 19:11
Ok cheers- thanks for all the help guys.