PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Sky HD

dvce
21-01-11, 18:51
Hi Chaps,

I am looking to get an HD receiver, I like the look of the Vu+ Duo and will go down this route but my quandary is this, I now have Sky plus, with all the packages, films & sports etc. but how do I get sky to turn on the HD if I don’t have a Sky HD box? I understand how to get the card to work with a linux box but I don’t know how to get the HD entitlements onto my card. Is it just a matter of phoning up sky and requesting HD and paying the money or is there more to it than that

Any thoughts.

fintannl
21-01-11, 19:31
you would need to ring sky and sign up to their hd package which is a further cost on top of your existing sd subscription. even if you had a hd box you still would not have he ability to view pay hd channels without paying for the hd package. buying a vu+ duo does not solve this problem. no matter what the box you must have access to a hd subscription to watch hd channels

sanderson82
21-01-11, 19:54
Also, if you ring sky don't just say I want 12mths HD, haggle with them :-)

I added it to my package recently and got 6 mths free and free sky hd box.

Done it just to get the box so I can use anytime+

dvce
21-01-11, 19:57
Hi, I understand this, this is what I want to do, I want to pay for and watch HD but on a box of my choice, my question is - can I get the HD switced on card without a sky HD box.

Stanman
21-01-11, 20:52
probably not without raising eyebrows at SKY, I think it in there T&C that you use a Sly box.

fintannl
21-01-11, 21:09
absolutely not

dvce
21-01-11, 21:36
Looks like I need to buy a second hand box from a car boot sale then, marry the card to that box then get it updated to HD then put the box in the cupboard and insert the card in my new Vu+ box. Is this the only way. Or could I use a friends box to upate my card?

pooface
21-01-11, 21:37
Hi, I understand this, this is what I want to do, I want to pay for and watch HD but on a box of my choice, my question is - can I get the HD switced on card without a sky HD box.

I have heard of members who have said they have bought a sky hd box off a friend/ebay etc, and told sky to update their package to hd (actually buying the box from places, not an excuse :p). Reason for doing so, being that they don't want to update to a further 12mth contract, and agree to not having a 12 mth warranty with the box... So, could be an idea to do that. But, if I were you, do what sanderson says. Get the 6 month deal, with free hd box, and either sell the box on, or just enjoy the cheaper price, and have the sky box as a spare ;)

[Edit]

Looks like I need to buy a second hand box from a car boot sale then, marry the card to that box then get it updated to HD then put the box in the cupboard and insert the card in my new Vu+ box. Is this the only way. Or could I use a friends box to upate my card?

Only saw this after my posting :p I dunno about whether you would actually need to give them the new box serial actually... So, could be that. If you use a friends box, then theirs would need to be married to the hd box again...

Why not just haggle and get free box and cheaper subscription :p

Larry-G
21-01-11, 21:39
any time you update your package you agree to a 12 month contract renewal. weather you get a box from them or not. same goes if you decrease your package.

pooface
21-01-11, 21:40
any time you update your package you agree to a 12 month contract renewal. weather you get a box from them or not. same goes if you decrease your package.

Really?! Cheeky buggers :p

silverfox0786
22-01-11, 00:09
yes mate you still go on a 12 month no matter what its called a second hand subsription where you have your own box and just marry the cards i am using a second hand sub and wanted to cancel and they said no i need to finish 12 months from starting it

Larry-G
22-01-11, 00:11
Really?! Cheeky buggers :p

yup, just another way for them to get their claws into you. you can have the same sub for 5 years but the instant you make any changes to it you are essentially agreeing to a new 12 month sub.