PDA

View Full Version : Qbox mini or TM 800

deano41
21-01-11, 14:48
Hi peeps, i am contemplating buying a 2nd box to use in the bedroom but will need wifi to connect to my network and having read a few of the comments on this forum about these 2 boxes can somebody possibly let me know which one they would purchase from the 2 named in the thread title and why..Cheers for all your help, John...

Sicilian
21-01-11, 15:16
Personally I'd look at the specs.

TM 800 has more ram.
Faster CPU.
2 Scart sockets.
RF Loop through.
Internal SATA for internal HDD.
FREE WIFI N.
Latest DW images gives you Coolepg guide, Rytec EPG Importer + some other good features.

deano41
21-01-11, 17:54
Cheers Sic, just ordered myself the tm, with a free wifi dongle thrown in for good measure.Thanks for the input..

mickbrush
21-01-11, 20:11
I managed to get hold of a jtaged TM800 today for a few hours to have a play with I stuck the DW image on it and all worked well although I could not get wifi to work but worked fine wired straight to router.

Picture quality on both boxes was exelent epg exactly same on both boxes.

Channel picons working in epg on mini but not on the TM but sure that will be sorted.

both boxes recorded fine on sd & hd playback same no problems there on either box.

HD skins for mini but not TM.

RF output on TM not on mini handy if you want to send signal to other Tvs around the house.

Tm has a better remote control but thats my choice as mini has exit in the wrong position lol.

Tm has two scart sockets but to be honest dont know why you would ever need two I doubt most people would ever even use one its a HD box lol.

mini has twin tuners plug and play S/T/C TM fixed S tuner. I only have one tuner just now so cant say how good this box is as a twin tuner receiver.

mini has 1.5in lcd display TM standard display. I like this it looks good with the picons on.

TM has free wifi if bought from our sponsors.

overall as a single tuner box I dont think there is much to choose between the two boxes, when i get a second tuner I will compare it again.

I found both boxes easy to setup both can be flashed by usb simples.

Price TM800 £239 Qbox min £179 as a single tuner

Both supplyed by our sponsor

Stanman
21-01-11, 20:49
Mick are you saying the display is better on the TM?

mickbrush
21-01-11, 20:54
No mate the LCD display is realy nice on the mini you can have it showing channel picons looks very nice.

Stanman
21-01-11, 20:59
Sounds good, extra tuners can be had for £25 so for around £200 you have a twin tuner HD box, an tempted but need to convince the misses we need another HD TV

mickbrush
21-01-11, 21:05
Yeh I have seen them @ £200 with two tuners I wish I had waited a little longer before buying mine im hopeing our sponsor gets some in soon at a good price.

fintannl
21-01-11, 21:14
many options of doing wifi. best is to buy cheap router like dlink 615, load it with ddwrt software and then allow it to act as repeater to your primary modem. so then you have wireless link to devices upstairs

Sicilian
22-01-11, 10:15
I managed to get hold of a jtaged TM800 today for a few hours to have a play with I stuck the DW image on it and all worked well although I could not get wifi to work but worked fine wired straight to router.

Just tested wifi 'N' on both UR and DW images, worked spot on, on both.

To setup correctly follow this: -

Press Menu > Setup > System > Network > Select Wireless > Scan Wireless Networks > If 'enter hidden network SSID appears first you must WAIT for scan to finish.

Once scan is finished select your network > Set use Interface to yes > Set your encryption type as set on your router > Enter your Encryption Key and press ok. All done :)

mickbrush
22-01-11, 11:12
sicilian I did try exactly as above but it just was not having it m8. Maybe its just having problems with certain routers.

Sicilian
22-01-11, 11:25
sicilian I did try exactly as above but it just was not having it m8. Maybe its just having problems with certain routers.

Routers i've tested with are Netgear WNR2000, Linksys WRT54GS and D-Link-615.