PDA

View Full Version : [ET10x00] Stuttering

George Kildare
16-09-17, 16:00
During the past few days my Xtrend box has developed stuttering. I have 2 cable tuners and 2 satellite tuners. The stuttering occurs both on Ziggo cable channels and on FTA satellite channels. I have disabled the software Ccam and restored a previous image, but the stuttering still persists. I am worried that this may be a hardware problem, e.g. power supply. The box has been on almost continuously since I purchased it 2 years ago.

Has anybody any suggestions as to how I can find out what is causing the problem?

If it is a hardware problem, is it worth sending the box away for servicing or should I just buy a new one. The ET10000 does not seem to be available any more. For my configuration with 4 tuners, is VU+ the only option?

Many thanks

Sicilian
16-09-17, 16:17
I'd start at the basics first. Check signal inputs from types.

George Kildare
16-09-17, 16:30
Thanks Sicilian. I think that the signal inputs are OK. The stuttering occurs both for the cable channels and the satellite channels. The cable channels are OK when directly inputted to my TV, passing through the box. I am not sure about IPTV. I tend to view HD channels, so I don't know yet whether the non-HD channels also stutter. I will try and check.

Sicilian
16-09-17, 16:33
Thanks Sicilian. I think that the signal inputs are OK. The stuttering occurs both for the cable channels and the satellite channels. The cable channels are OK when directly inputted to my TV, passing through the box. I am not sure about IPTV. I tend to view HD channels, so I don't know yet whether the non-HD channels also stutter. I will try and check.

I meant cable and satellite signal. Not sure how IPTV has come into this now? :confused:

George Kildare
16-09-17, 17:02
Since it stutters BOTH on cable AND satellite and my TV doesn't on the same cable signal, I don't think that the signal is the problem. Also I have just tried restoring a previous image from disk and the box stutters during the restore.

twol
16-09-17, 17:24
Since it stutters BOTH on cable AND satellite and my TV doesn't on the same cable signal, I don't think that the signal is the problem. Also I have just tried restoring a previous image from disk and the box stutters during the restore.

If the picture stutters during the restore, then perhaps you should check your hdmi cable ,,, or you are getting interference from somewhere

twol
16-09-17, 17:25
.... repeated msg

ccs
16-09-17, 18:51
Or maybe access the box remotely using openwebif and see what happens.

George Kildare
17-09-17, 08:06
Very many thanks.

It is clearly something to do with the HDMI. I established that it only occurs when I am on a HD channel and when I change the video settings from 1080p to 1080i it goes away. I will try replacing the HDMI cable during the next week or so. Unfortunately the cabling is in a cupboard and goes via a Yamaha receiver to the TV, so this is a bit complicated and time-consuming. However, the box on 1080i is a workable solution for now.

Andy_Hazza
17-09-17, 08:23
Very many thanks.

It is clearly something to do with the HDMI. I established that it only occurs when I am on a HD channel and when I change the video settings from 1080p to 1080i it goes away. I will try replacing the HDMI cable during the next week or so. Unfortunately the cabling is in a cupboard and goes via a Yamaha receiver to the TV, so this is a bit complicated and time-consuming. However, the box on 1080i is a workable solution for now.

Sky & Virgin broadcast in 1080i anyhow. 1080p is more for Gaming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sicilian
17-09-17, 10:17
What's your av refresh rate set to ? 50, 60 or multi?

George Kildare
17-09-17, 13:51
My refresh rate is set to 50.

I hadn't realised that the HD channels that I look at (UK FTA satellite and Dutch cable) are transmitted in 1080i not 1080p. The bottom line is I can just continue with (non-stuttering) 1080i without loss of picture quality and I don't even need to look into replacing the HDMI cable!
Many thanks again.

Andy_Hazza
17-09-17, 14:05
Multi refresh rate is always best setting to use.

George Kildare
17-09-17, 14:10
Thanks. Will set to Multi.

By the way, the video mode was set to "automatic" when the stuttering on HD developed. It was only by experimenting with 1080i and 1080p that I discovered that 1080i got rid of the stuttering.

Andy_Hazza
17-09-17, 14:13
Thanks. Will set to Multi.

By the way, the video mode was set to "automatic" when the stuttering on HD developed. It was only by experimenting with 1080i and 1080p that I discovered that 1080i got rid of the stuttering.

Noooooooooooo. Disable "automatic resolution", that is a horrible setting to use.

George Kildare
17-09-17, 16:25
Thanks. I have used automatic resolution since I got the box 2 years ago. I will use 1080i from now on.

ronand
17-09-17, 17:02
Auto resolution is generally not needed for TV viewing where 1080i is usually the best choice. For playing back some media files it might be a benefit. But for most people changing resolution every time you change channel is a PITA. You may just have a handshaking issue - shut down all the equipment and pull the power for a minute and all should be well.

George Kildare
17-09-17, 17:31
Thanks. I will not use the automatic setting again, only 1080i.

I have been using the automatic resolution without problems since I bought the box 2 years ago and the stuttering began only began a few days ago. It's still unclear to me why this happened.

George Kildare
17-09-17, 17:32
Sorry Ronand. Our postings crossed!