PDA

View Full Version : Best Picture Quality settings for a full HD Panasonic Plasma?

PAUL7331
18-05-10, 09:27
Hey guys, I set my vuo duo up last night with the pli image and have the 'auto resolution' plugin.. BUT Im wanting to know, does anybody have a list of the BEST settings for PQ?? At the moment Im not sure exactly which options to chose/leave defualt etc etc..... does anyboy have a list of the best settings to ensure the HD is the best possible along with the SD material?

Likvid
18-05-10, 09:33
HD interlaced 1080i
HD progressive 720p

The last two bottom options in the list should be set to OFF OFF

The rest in the list leave it at default.

PAUL7331
18-05-10, 09:39
HD interlaced 1080i
HD progressive 720p

Cool, I'll give it a go tonight then mate. And is this known officially to give the very best PQ all around?

Sicilian
18-05-10, 09:41
With my HD Panny I've never bothered with the autoresolution plugin, but everyone has different picture preferences. Go to plugins > Download addons and install the video enhancement plugin if its not already installed under system settings.

PAUL7331
18-05-10, 09:58
With my HD Panny I've never bothered with the autoresolution plugin, but everyone has different picture preferences. Go to plugins > Download addons and install the video enhancement plugin if its not already installed under system settings.

I think I already have that mate! The image I installed was the idiots pli one with many addons already built in to the image, and I reckon that might be included! I'll check later though.... I just want to ensure I'm getting the best PQ so that it looks better than my DM800!

Sicilian
18-05-10, 10:04
I found the settings in the video enhancement plugin and the scaler in A/V settings made the most difference.

PAUL7331
18-05-10, 10:31
I found the settings in the video enhancement plugin and the scaler in A/V settings made the most difference.

Cool, thats good to know. Thanks mate. Is your panny a FULL HD by the way?

Sicilian
18-05-10, 10:35
Cool, thats good to know. Thanks mate. Is your panny a FULL HD by the way?

Yes, its the TX-P42G10B. Full 1080.

Monty
18-05-10, 11:41
I have a 42 inch 720 panny and playing with the settings on The VU+ does give varying improvements, but the best advice I weas given was to calibrate the screen first, and it really does bring things to life.

Forums test: This should replace a red name in stats for at least 24 hours :)

hummer66
18-05-10, 13:02
calibrate in the panny menu or the VU+ or both

Forums test: This should replace a Green name in stats for at least 2 minutes

Monty
18-05-10, 13:11
calibrate in the panny menu or the VU+ or both

Forums test: This should replace a Green name in stats for at least 2 minutes

Well, truth be told, the screen you're running the VU+ on should be calibrated using the box as the source.
I haven't done that yet because the test images I had used before have gone missing, lost somewhere in a hard drive swap.
I last did this using the test images on my Xbox 360 which was connected via HDMI to my TV, and that's the connection now used by the VU+, so it's still pretty damn good :)
It should be a simple enough matter to stream the test screens from your PC to the box, then calibrate.

bob1
18-05-10, 20:54
I feel a bit left out now with my full 480p panny :(

Likvid
18-05-10, 21:18

Which model you have? a 6th generation?

Monty
18-05-10, 21:36

Don't be feeling left out bob, I got a PW6 still, and it's still the best panel I ever had for SD signals.

Likvid
18-05-10, 23:17
Don't be feeling left out bob, I got a PW6 still, and it's still the best panel I ever had for SD signals.

I still have my TH-50PHD6EX, only done 7000hrs by now since i bought it.

bob1
19-05-10, 07:04
Which model you have? a 6th generation?
Its a pw8 ,it gives an excellent picture on sd as can be expected but you can certainly see a jump in quality on hd channels ,hoping to replace it with a g20 which is supposed to be very good with sd sources.

uki
20-05-10, 20:30
Well, truth be told, the screen you're running the VU+ on should be calibrated using the box as the source.
I haven't done that yet because the test images I had used before have gone missing, lost somewhere in a hard drive swap.
I last did this using the test images on my Xbox 360 which was connected via HDMI to my TV, and that's the connection now used by the VU+, so it's still pretty damn good :)
It should be a simple enough matter to stream the test screens from your PC to the box, then calibrate.

what or how do you calibrate you box with the tv.i have a pioneer lx508 plasma tv

Ojustaboo
07-07-10, 17:31
HD interlaced 1080i
HD progressive 720p

My HD Interlaced wont go above 720p or 576i ?????

No 1080i option.

The output is set to 1080i in the AV settings and I have a Sony Bravia TV

Any suggestions please?

thanks

Sicilian
07-07-10, 18:20
Is your Sony Bravia capable of 1080i? What is the model number?

bob1
07-07-10, 18:57
It depends on what the tv is capable of receiving ,if your getting a picture at 1080i then it is ,best thing you can do is try the different settings and just set at what looks best to you, the tv will only rescale it anyway.

Ojustaboo
07-07-10, 19:28
Thanks

TV can do 1080p, Sony Bravia 40" Full HD Freesat LCD TV KDL40W581OU

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/t32-w-series/kdl-40w5810/tab/technicalspecs

Sicilian
07-07-10, 20:19
Here's a screenshot of my a/v settings, might help.

If not maybe start another topic as this topic relates to a Panny plasma.

Likvid
08-07-10, 00:30
That's completely wrong settings as you stretch 4:3 content and you let the receiver scale SD to 1080i which is wrong.

Sicilian
08-07-10, 06:25
That's completely wrong settings as you stretch 4:3 content and you let the receiver scale SD to 1080i which is wrong.

Why is it wrong, peeps can just use what they prefer to use! I like to see my 4:3 stretch and fill the screen and yes I do let the receiver upscale my SD :)

pooface
08-07-10, 08:30

Am with you on the comments, like I've said before. But a lot of people are used to watching it like that because sky has always done it like that as default... You know what people who don't like change are like! lol...

Sicilian
08-07-10, 08:56
You know what people who don't like change are like! lol...

:finger: :roflmao:

I've always used those settings for all Linux receivers i've ever owned :D

Retired member
08-07-10, 09:02
Why is it wrong, peeps can just use what they prefer to use! I like to see my 4:3 stretch and fill the screen and yes I do let the receiver upscale my SD :)

Surely this is in contravention of the settings misuse act and you risk having your audio/visual equipment impounded by the settings police :eek:

Sicilian
08-07-10, 09:04
Surely this is in contravention of the settings misuse act and you risk having your audio/visual equipment impounded by the settings police :eek:

:roflmao: I better run for the hills :roflmao:

pooface
08-07-10, 12:48
:finger: :roflmao:

I've always used those settings for all Linux receivers i've ever owned :D

My comment wasn't necessarily directed to you, but more to the people who say things like "my sky box can do this, my sky box can do that" It's the people that want this box to replace their sky box without accepting that there are gonna be changes, so have to have everything the same as sky... So :finger: to you too :p hehe

Ojustaboo
08-07-10, 12:56

If not maybe start another topic as this topic relates to a Panny plasma.

If I set the AV settings to 720p instead of 1080i, I can select 1080i for the HD interlaced in autoresolution.

If I set my AV settings to 1080i, the highest I can set the HD intelaced is 576i.

Don't understand why?

Anyway, if I have any problems getting a decent pic, I'll start another thread as requested.

Likvid
08-07-10, 17:08
If your tv supports 1080p then it will support 1080i as 1080i requries less bandwidth than 1080p.

Likvid
08-07-10, 17:13

But it's still wrong to recommend to people that setting as you are not showing the people's right aspect ratio in SD 4.3

Most people who run stretched 4:3 like you most often think it's sad not to take advantage of the widescreen, there by they stretch it, it's like people who beleive it's sad to leave food at the table, instead they force themself to eat everything up.

But anyway stretched is soooooooooooooo wrong.

Pillarbox is the correct setting for SD 4:3

Scale to is the correct setting for 16:9 in both SD and HD.

If you have a 1080p TV you can output 1080 if your TV does a less good of scaling job than the receiver.

Sicilian
08-07-10, 17:26
But it's still wrong to recommend to people that setting as you are not showing the people's right aspect ratio in SD 4.3

Most people who run stretched 4:3 like you most often think it's sad not to take advantage of the widescreen, there by they stretch it, it's like people who beleive it's sad to leave food at the table, instead they force themself to eat everything up.

Read my post: -

I simply stated here's my a/v settings, might help. Peeps can use what they like and prefer. Stretched might be wrong for you, but right for others! I prefer to see a stretched picture instead of annoying black bars at the side, nothing wrong in that! Yes pillarbox is the correct setting on paper, but some peeps just dont like that setting so just accept their views!

Oh btw I dont force my self to eat all food at the table, I save it for later! :finger:

paul362
08-07-10, 17:42
I do love a good lovers tiff:nono::D