PDA

View Full Version : Cable and splitting signal

giub1981
18-08-17, 11:26
Hi all

I have recently moved house and took my modem with me which was supplied by my provider. My previous set up was that the cable came into the house, was split using a 2 way splitting, then one end went to the modem and the other to my cable receiver, all good!!

I have just had my modem re installed at my new house, however, this only had one feed coming into the house. I decided to use the 2 way splitter I took from the old house and use this to split the signal again so that one end went to the modem and the other went to the cable receiver, however, when I try to so a scan on my receiver, I get “tuner failed”

Does anyone know if the signal that come into the house, already has the tv signal as well as the broadband, or does the ISP need to turn something on so the TV signal is working? This is with VM, or have a missing something?

Thanks

joysleep1
18-08-17, 12:40
Hi all

I have recently moved house and took my modem with me which was supplied by my provider. My previous set up was that the cable came into the house, was split using a 2 way splitting, then one end went to the modem and the other to my cable receiver, all good!!

I have just had my modem re installed at my new house, however, this only had one feed coming into the house. I decided to use the 2 way splitter I took from the old house and use this to split the signal again so that one end went to the modem and the other went to the cable receiver, however, when I try to so a scan on my receiver, I get “tuner failed”

Does anyone know if the signal that come into the house, already has the tv signal as well as the broadband, or does the ISP need to turn something on so the TV signal is working? This is with VM, or have a missing something?

Thanks

You need to have an active virgin media subscription. Do you currently pay virgin media for tv or broadband?

chris16v
18-08-17, 13:17
i would say you need to check if your netID has changed, you might now be in a different area to what your ABM is set to

giub1981
18-08-17, 14:09
Hi

I have an active VM broadband sub so I wanted to know if it is only for BB sub, will there be an active TV signal as I believe that both services come down the same line. Do they need to flick a switch so the TV signal is also active?

Thanks for the info on the Net ID. I have only moved a mile up the road but I do not that there is 2 different Net IDs in the city so I will check and try the other one

abu baniaz
18-08-17, 14:41
It is the same signal.

As above, check NetID or perform a scan without using ABM.

Double check connections.

Might also be too much or too little signal.

giub1981
18-08-17, 15:35
Cheers Abu. If it is the case that the signal is too weak/strong, what can be done to sort that out?

abu baniaz
18-08-17, 16:01
If too strong, add an attenuator.
If too weak, add a powered splitter.

Perform the other checks first.

DaMacFunkin
18-08-17, 16:05
If you only have one connection a good engineer should have balanced the power levels at the green box for just your modem, you will now have to amplify that power before you split it, you can get cheap cable amplifiers of eBay but make sure you connections are done correctly.

giub1981
18-08-17, 16:29
I know the cables are correct as I used them at my old house which worked fine. how do you know if the signal is too strong or weak?

dpullen87
18-08-17, 16:36
This is what you need :thumbsup:

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?57633-Virgin-Media-HDU-200-Signal-Booster