PDA

View Full Version : Couple of basic questions.....Vu+

malcom123
20-01-11, 12:18
1....When connecting an external USB hard drive does it need to be left connected to avoid re-initialisation!!!!!!

2...To fit an internal hard drive the box obviously has to be opened by the user.....Do you know technically can this invalidate the warranty. Thank's

Sicilian
20-01-11, 12:24
1....When connecting an external USB hard drive does it need to be left connected to avoid re-initialisation!!!!!!

2...To fit an internal hard drive the box obviously has to be opened by the user.....Do you know technically can this invalidate the warranty. Thank's

1. No, but you wont be able to use the USB drive in a windows pc as it will have linux file structure.

2. You wont invalidate your warranty. Alternatively our sponsor can supply a receiver with HDD pre-installed.

malcom123
20-01-11, 12:39
Thank's for clarification. Is there a list of suitable USB/Brands type compatible with the Vu+duo

bassethound
20-01-11, 12:45
Hi malcom123 can you please keep all your questions in one thread :p im chasing you round the forum answering your questions you keep going of in different tangents all the time :D

malcom123
20-01-11, 12:49
Ahh. Sorry about that my mistake I thought it was right to have new threads for different question.. Advise noted. Thank's. :thumbsup:

bassethound
20-01-11, 12:54
LOL you are asking questions in one thread before before you get a reply you start asking a new question in a new thread

have you read this thread first

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?213-Basic-newbie-setup-procedure-for-VU-Duo-for-Dummies

MalteseMick
20-01-11, 13:06
1. No, but you wont be able to use the USB drive in a windows pc as it will have linux file structure.

2. You wont invalidate your warranty. Alternatively our sponsor can supply a receiver with HDD pre-installed.

I've took a USB dongle, stuck it in a windows machine and moved a MKV on to it, then plugged it into the VU+ and played the MKV with no issues with differing file structures. If my USB dongle is plug and play compatible between the two shouldn't a USB hard drive?

malcom123
20-01-11, 13:06
I'll put my question a different way......Is any brand of external USB Hard drive compatible with the Vu+duo......

Sicilian
20-01-11, 13:08
I've took a USB dongle, stuck it in a windows machine and moved a MKV on to it, then plugged it into the VU+ and played the MKV with no issues with differing file structures. If my USB dongle is plug and play compatible between the two shouldn't a USB hard drive?

I mean that once a HDD is initialized through the Duo is it will have a Linux file structure.

@ Malcom, I doubt you'll have any issues if you still with an upmarket brand.

malcom123
20-01-11, 13:22
USB flash sticks have to be formatted with FAT32.......OK.........Is this done by clicking on the format option in the pull down menu from the drive icon......When it formatts I don't know what the name of the format is!!! Or do I need different software........I am running windows XP