PDA

View Full Version : Deciding on New Receiver

pooface
27-07-17, 08:25
Hey guys...

So, I've been out of the satellite scene for a while, and my old receivers are starting to show their age now... So, was looking to buy a new receiver...

I'd originally decided to go for the Mutant HD51, as seems a good spec box, and good price for everything...

Then, I saw the Octagon SF4008 box, and this has DVB-S2X. So, looking at the Mutant, this does not currently have this standard, but there looks to be a tuner coming soon to support this... So, it got me wondering which box to go for... Is DVB-S2X anything worth getting whilst getting new receiver?

What are people's comments about the 2 boxes, and which would you recommend to get?

Cheers :) :thumbsup:

Emulated
27-07-17, 08:41
Octagon SF4008 is very good, the Mutant HD51 is OK but the remote is poor and no power switch on the back. Otherwise much the same.

pooface
27-07-17, 08:50
Have no switch on the back I can live with. So, is it worth spending the extra £40 for a better remote :confused::confused: lol

Willo3092
27-07-17, 09:33
Have no switch on the back I can live with. So, is it worth spending the extra £40 for a better remote :confused::confused: lol

The SF4008 has support for 3 tuners and the HD51 only has 2 unless you add a USB tuner.

twol
27-07-17, 11:13
Hey guys...

So, I've been out of the satellite scene for a while, and my old receivers are starting to show their age now... So, was looking to buy a new receiver...

I'd originally decided to go for the Mutant HD51, as seems a good spec box, and good price for everything...

Then, I saw the Octagon SF4008 box, and this has DVB-S2X. So, looking at the Mutant, this does not currently have this standard, but there looks to be a tuner coming soon to support this... So, it got me wondering which box to go for... Is DVB-S2X anything worth getting whilst getting new receiver?

What are people's comments about the 2 boxes, and which would you recommend to get?

Cheers :) :thumbsup:

Mut@nt HD51 has an optional S2x tuner (I have one installed) and uses latest chip compared to Octagon S2x tuner.
Agree about remote, but then Octagon is not much better.
Features wise: Mut@nt deliver (and have continued to do so ... like S2X tuner), Octagon have been promises promises. HD51 also has built in multiboot which I find very useful.
Ref 3 tuners vs 2? IPTV seems to have provided alternative solutions for some people, and unless you are going to use C/S support on a few receivers (which can tie up the tuner on a server receiver) less of an issue.
I had the choice of selling my HD51 or SF4008 and decided on the latter - seen nothing that makes me think this was a mistake.

Emulated
27-07-17, 11:40
Mut@nt HD51 has an optional S2x tuner (I have one installed) and uses latest chip compared to Octagon S2x tuner.
Agree about remote, but then Octagon is not much better.
Features wise: Mut@nt deliver (and have continued to do so ... like S2X tuner), Octagon have been promises promises. HD51 also has built in multiboot which I find very useful.
Ref 3 tuners vs 2? IPTV seems to have provided alternative solutions for some people, and unless you are going to use C/S support on a few receivers (which can tie up the tuner on a server receiver) less of an issue.
I had the choice of selling my HD51 or SF4008 and decided on the latter - seen nothing that makes me think this was a mistake.
Must admit I miss not having blind scan on my SF4008.

maxben
27-07-17, 11:42
I can only echo what twol says above.

I have both boxes at the moment and it's HD51 that I now prefer and I use now as my main lounge box, I also have the S2x tuner and a USB cable tuner all works perfectly.

If you like messing with other images then the HD51 multiboot is brilliant.

pooface
27-07-17, 14:18
Cheers for the information guys...

Sounds like the HD51 it will be...

Can I just re-ask though, what the DVB-S2X is all about? Do you need a DVB-S2X tuner to be able to receive certain channels that are broadcast in a different way or something?

Also, are the HD51's being sold now sold with the DVB-S2X tuner, or is that something you need to buy seperate if you want one?

Cheers

Sicilian
27-07-17, 15:51
Cheers for the information guys...

Sounds like the HD51 it will be...

Can I just re-ask though, what the DVB-S2X is all about? Do you need a DVB-S2X tuner to be able to receive certain channels that are broadcast in a different way or something?

Also, are the HD51's being sold now sold with the DVB-S2X tuner, or is that something you need to buy seperate if you want one?

Cheers

HD51 remote may feel light, but its a good solid reliable remote.

S2X tuner are not generally available yet.

pooface
27-07-17, 15:57
HD51 remote may feel light, but its a good solid reliable remote.

S2X tuner are not generally available yet.

Thanks boss :thumbsup:

Looks like it's defo the HD51. As even if DVB-S2X is required at some point, should be a simple case of swapping the tuner...

Sicilian
27-07-17, 15:58
Thanks boss :thumbsup:

Looks like it's defo the HD51. As even if DVB-S2X is required at some point, should be a simple case of swapping the tuner...

Only useful on 5 west.

twol
27-07-17, 16:34
Only useful on 5 west.

..... or if you are in a marginal reception area:)

pooface
27-07-17, 17:07
..... or if you are in a marginal reception area:)

OK... I have issues sometimes receiving satellite signal on some channels... I think my neighbours tree is the issue, as I will have a good signal with 70-80% SNR. But then it'll drop down to 50-60%, and causes breakup... Would the S2X tuner help with this at all? Or could that be an LNB issue?

twol
27-07-17, 17:15
OK... I have issues sometimes receiving satellite signal on some channels... I think my neighbours tree is the issue, as I will have a good signal with 70-80% SNR. But then it'll drop down to 50-60%, and causes breakup... Would the S2X tuner help with this at all? Or could that be an LNB issue?

Probably not:) I just live a little bit out on the fringe of the FTA 28.2E signal ... nothing to do with trees.
I guess its a dark night job with a silenced chain saw ... or a cheerful friendly conversation with a neighbour?

Sicilian
27-07-17, 17:20

S2X is mainly for multi-stream on 5 deg west, will not help with signal issues.

pooface
27-07-17, 19:01
S2X is mainly for multi-stream on 5 deg west, will not help with signal issues.

So in future, will hopefully be used for stuff like bbc red button type things? :confused:

Huevos
27-07-17, 22:33
More than just 5w, but yes just a handful of satellites at the moment.

Newgunner
29-07-17, 00:45
Hello all i am in the same process I want to upgrade to an 4k dvb-c receiver but I was also looking at the technomate tm twin 4k s2c can anyone give a comparison on that box? Or recommend the best box around that price?