PDA

View Full Version : [GiGaBlue QUAD+ PLUS] Transcoding above 1Mb?

Silent
12-07-17, 10:22
Hi guys

Applies to both Vu+ Solo SE and Gigablue Quad+. Is there anyway to transcode above 1Mbps? I'm sure it's fine on a phone but doing it through Xbox is pretty terrible, worse than just using the SD channels.

I was hoping to do it at 5 or 6Mbps. Is it possible to hack it somewhere or is there simply not enough processing power?

Thanks

ccs
12-07-17, 10:54
I've probably got my sums wrong, but isn't 5Mbps close to the non-transcoded rate?

Silent
12-07-17, 11:48
A quick calculation on a Channel 4 HD recording would suggest a little over 10Mbps.

The upload speed where the box is located is 10Mbps, so halving that to 5Mbps should give me room for a decent stream and normal web activity.

Trial
12-07-17, 12:26
Hi,
I think die Quad+ is comparable to the VU Solo2 and there it is a hardware limitation. For higher rates you probably need another STB.

ciao

joysleep1
12-07-17, 12:41
gigablue quad plus only does software transcoding if that means anything to anybody.

ccs
12-07-17, 13:33
A quick calculation on a Channel 4 HD recording would suggest a little over 10Mbps.

The upload speed where the box is located is 10Mbps, so halving that to 5Mbps should give me room for a decent stream and normal web activity.Just looking again, Channel 4 HD file sizes appear to be nearly twice BBC 1 HD for the same length of programme. (Freeview).
Not what I would have expected, a small sample though, just 1 CH4 programme to compare (4seven HD - Dunkirk_ The New Evidence).

Silent
12-07-17, 18:18
I'd noticed that with BBC too. They have more channels with all the local channels so maybe save bandwidth?

Does anyone know what setting file the setting is saved? I might try hacking it just to see if it can cope.

Trial
13-07-17, 08:52
Hi,
I think all settings are stored where they should be stored in /etc/enigma2/settings. I do not think it is worth trying to hack something. If there might a little chance it would be in the transtreamproxy (or something like that).

ciao

Silent
13-07-17, 12:14
I found it but it seems both the Vu+ Solo SE and GB Quad+ only encodes to 480p and if I set higher than 1Mb it resets to 1Mb. I'll just have to wait until one of the boxes dies. Thanks for the pointers.