PDA

View Full Version : USB Flashing!

malcom123
19-01-11, 21:45
Reading through some of the posts I read about USB device flashing the Vu+duo It was part of some setup instructions on a sticky thread. As a complete novice, What is flashing and why!!!!!

Larry-G
19-01-11, 21:52
flashing is the process of you loading a new ( image ) to your box. there are many reasons why would want to do this such as added features over the original image for example.

malcom123
19-01-11, 22:05
Sorry not sure what is meant by "image". Is that the same as talking about a new "Skin" . New appearance for screen dispalys or something more!!!!!!!

I need to learn because I think most of the best spec recievers seem to be linux based......I have downloaded the manual for the Vu+duo well laid out.

When it comes to setting up an external or internal HD I am a bit concerned I will meet with failure to understand how to get it working....

Larry-G
19-01-11, 22:07
the image is the equivalent of a operating system. these boxes use a E2 = Enigma 2 linux os, and teams like VIX use this basic original image to make their own.

malcom123
19-01-11, 22:18
Many Thank's.....So its something I don't have to get involved with as a beginner but can if want when my know how grows.....

Larry-G
19-01-11, 22:19
the original image while very suitable only provides basic functions. to unlock the full potential of the box you will eventually want to flash the box with a new image.

malcom123
20-01-11, 00:00
When flashing a new "image". If a mistake is made is it possible the the original image that came with the machine will be lost.........Or does retuning it to factory settings ensure mistakes are corrected......regards...

silverfox0786
20-01-11, 00:05
if you cock up as we all do then the recovery is just a case of reflashing repaeat process 1 in a sence and all will be ok again

and stock image and 3rd party images are all available to download from this here forum so you aint gtta worr about trying to find the original image or anything

best to read the forum a bit more and we will get the gist of the world of linux satellite

malcom123
20-01-11, 00:23
Thank's. Been reading all night.......Jargon busting not easy........I am still not clear.......If all repeat actions fail can the original "image" be lost. Does factory re-set get the user out of trouble....?

I have gone to downloads and don't have a clue what I am looking at so probably would not recognise original image download if i saw it.......regards

Larry-G
20-01-11, 00:28
no, when you flash a image you over write the previous one. however in almost all cases ( except where hardware damage is present ) a bad flash can be repaired using a rs232 null modem cable.

malcom123
20-01-11, 00:39
no, when you flash a image you over write the previous one. however in almost all cases ( except where hardware damage is present ) a bad flash can be repaired using a rs232 null modem cable.

An over wright and no way back without a computer connection. I have no idea what an rs232 modem cable is.. Is it the regular modem cable!!!! In short I would have to flash via the internet site!!!! . But looking at downloads I have no idea what I am looking at to select the correct "image"

Larry-G
20-01-11, 00:44
a rs232 null modem cable is a version of a serial pc cable. and this is generally the last resort when things go so bad that a regular flash via usb stick wont work. i only mentioned it as a fail safe.

as for your other questions. sadly i dont own a VU so i cant be too specific.

silverfox0786
20-01-11, 00:52
null modem cable is a 9pin dsub male to male but internel conections are not serial they are crossed over

only the few cases will a rs232 be neeeded and its done via a prog called vu utility

most times reinserting the usb and reflashing the procedure will do the trick

@pheonix i have read on so many post your helpfull ness added with i dont own one to help more

get your finger out and buy one please for the sake of the forum please!!! :lol3:

Larry-G
20-01-11, 00:56
null modem cable is a 9pin dsub male to male but internel conections are not serial they are crossed over

only the few cases will a rs232 be neeeded and its done via a prog called vu utility

most times reinserting the usb and reflashing the procedure will do the trick

@pheonix i have read on so many post your helpfull ness added with i dont own one to help more

get your finger out and buy one please for the sake of the forum please!!! :lol3:

LOL while i may not own the box, i probably know more about it than most people who do. and p.s i'm more than happy with my DM7020 / DM600 / TM600 X 2 all E1 boxes. hell i dont get enough time to watch the telly i'm either out hunting or working.

silverfox0786
20-01-11, 00:59
very true mate you have a good general knolledge of e1 and e2

hell i need to ask you when it comes to my dm7020

maybe you will get one in the future once you run out of ammo lol

Larry-G
20-01-11, 01:02
once you run out of ammo lol

thems fighting words them is.

me run out of ammo ?. your trying to scare me now aint ya ?.

silverfox0786
20-01-11, 01:11
thems fighting words them is.

me run out of ammo ?. your trying to scare me now aint ya ?.

once you run out of ammo i can come an ambush ya lol

Larry-G
20-01-11, 01:13
once you run out of ammo i can come an ambush ya lol

in that case time to take one of my swords off the wall, or get the crossbow from under my bed LOL.

p.s I think we may have gone a wee bit off topic again LOL.

silverfox0786
20-01-11, 01:18
in that case time to take one of my swords off the wall, or get the crossbow from under my bed LOL.

p.s I think we may have gone a wee bit off topic again LOL.

lol i was just about to suggest that

bloody hell backup when you run out of ammo

ok ambush idea in the trash can [then empty recycle bin]