PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of the mini PLUS?

t1grr
20-06-17, 06:49
I'm fairly set on wanting to get an Edision OS mini, but I'm a bit stuck at which model to get in particular. Both the mini plus and the mini combo fit my criteria, and I've done as much research as possible.
The differences I have seen are;
1. Slighty different box design, nothing major, front panel change
2. Obviously the difference in tuners, nothing major from a technical viewpoint except if recording is needed
3. Possible difference in chipset with the plus model being a revised version, but from everything I read minimal to no difference
4. Support for H265 codec, but I have no idea why that would be beneficial (If someone could help, that would be great)
5. They have separate VIX images (again, if someone could comment on the level of support, if one receives more than another, that would also be really useful)

So my question is for the currently small £8 difference between the models, am I missing anything obvious in terms of features, and which you you go for / recommend

Thanks! :)

Andy_Hazza
20-06-17, 07:16
OS Mini+ is the newer out the 2 receivers. That has a single tuner, but is multifunctional so could use either as a satellite receiver or as a terrestrial receiver or as a cable receiver. You can only record & watch the same channel on a single tuner receiver most cases.
What are you looking for in a receiver? FreeSat (so realistically you will only be able to view FreeSat as Sky UK has gone titty up recently) or FreeView (terrestrial) or Virgin (cable)? See, it all depends if you wanna record or not as I'm not a fan of external powered HDDs. So tell us your requirements and we'll be able to help in assisting you in picking the correct receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huevos
20-06-17, 07:49
Basically it is a trade off between H265 and a combo tuner.

Right now no tv channel is recorded in H265 soyou will only use this if you want to replay files saved in this format.

Combo gives you some recording options but not the same as a dedicated pvr where you have multiple tuners of the same type.

Apart from that there is no difference between the two. Both are fully supported by OpenViX.

t1grr
20-06-17, 16:50
OS Mini+ is the newer out the 2 receivers…

Thanks for your reply. I currently run a non-enigma combo box, and really just looking for a cable tuner because of the whole situation happening with satellite channels. However they are out of stock of the cable only option on the WOS store for now! :/
I am interested in keeping satellite as an option, firstly in the hope I’ll be prepared for a future ‘fix’ to satellite, and also because FreeSat channels are marginally more reliable than the DVB-C alternatives which rely on an internet connection.
Recording isn’t really important with all the catchup services available.

I’m looking for something linux based because I’m keen to harp back to the original DBOX days, of course a DVB-C tuner. I would love something that is able to run Kodi so I could move everything into one unit but I don’t think I can find anything capable the right side of £130? I would also love at least a clock on the front of the receiver which some completely lack these days!Finally satellite capability is a bonus but probably at the bottom of my list of features.

I came to the conclusion that an Edision mega would probably be ideal but it’s a bit out of budget, and so settled on the mini. If you have a suggestion I would love to hear it :)

Basically it is a trade off ...

Thanks also for your response, is there any likelihood that ordinary SD / 1080HD channels will start using H265 in the future? From all I can see it is heavily linked with 4K which I think this box is not capable of.

Huevos
20-06-17, 18:54
If you want cable the mega only has one cable capable tuner same as mini+ so no point paying for 3 satélite tuners you aren't going to use.