PDA

View Full Version : Box no longer works after updates - Help!

Jojo73
15-06-17, 07:22
Hi

I recently ran some system updates on my VU+ duo, just the standard ones in settings to install updates, and once my box had finished running them it went to a screen to say it was restarting which might take a few minutes. However, it stayed on this screen all night as if it was stuck (I left it for about 7 hours). So I made the decision to switch off the box and restart it, assuming it had gotten stuck and now it won't start at all!

The screen on the front of the box just says starting but nothing comes on screen and nothing else happens it just stays stuck there.

Can anyone help me get it working again please?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Jo

Huevos
15-06-17, 07:36
Try reflashing with the latest image.

Is the box a clone?

Jojo73
15-06-17, 14:00
Hi Huevos

I don't believe the box is a clone, its the only one I have if that's what you mean?

Thanks, will try reflashing the box tonight and see how I get on. I assume you mean with the latest version of Vix (which is what I currently run on it).....just thought I should check :eek:

Thanks again

Try reflashing with the latest image.

Is the box a clone?

Andy_Hazza
15-06-17, 14:37
Hi Jo,

Latest images can be found here >> http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/vu-plus-images/vu-duo/
With regards it being a clone, Huevos meant if the Vu+ Duo was a counterfeit (cloned) receiver. You would know this from a very noticeable sticker on the receiver (mainly to the rear) that says v1.0, v2.0 etc etc. Because you said you have been running the latest image on it, potentially rules it out being a clone. The latest image at this time is 5.0.016, but 5.0.017 is due anytime soon.

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jojo73
24-06-17, 13:14
Thanks for your help too Andy, I have been trying to reflash the box since your messages. I've tried two different USB sticks, have checked they're FAT32 with the unzipped flash file on them. I have even tried taking the files out of their folder and having them loose on the USB stick but nothing seems to work. Every time I restart the box it doesn't recognise the USB stick.

Does anyone have any ideas please?

Hi Jo,

Latest images can be found here >> http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/vu-plus-images/vu-duo/
With regards it being a clone, Huevos meant if the Vu+ Duo was a counterfeit (cloned) receiver. You would know this from a very noticeable sticker on the receiver (mainly to the rear) that says v1.0, v2.0 etc etc. Because you said you have been running the latest image on it, potentially rules it out being a clone. The latest image at this time is 5.0.016, but 5.0.017 is due anytime soon.

Regards,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timofee
24-06-17, 13:37
You might have the very common failed capacitor problem, also called the red light problem.

There is a long thread on the forum with instructions to replace the capacitor, might be worth a try.

gerinemo
24-06-17, 14:10
That thread is here
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?26735-Redlight-of-Death-Repair&highlight=red+light

Hopefully more that it just needs a better usb key
try a kingston usb key not too big in size 4 or 8 gig

Jojo73
25-06-17, 17:17
Hi gerinemo

Thanks for your post, you were spot on. A better USB stick was all it needed to sort it out!

Box is now up and running again, thank you. However, now only seem to be able to pick up a maximum of 12 channels, can't even get ITV....Have tried setting tuner configuration to automatic in case it lost some settings in the reflash but that all seems to be working as it should and signal strength is shown as strong. Any ideas why I can't find any more channels please?

Many thanks

Alec
25-06-17, 19:23
Hi gerinemo

Thanks for your post, you were spot on. A better USB stick was all it needed to sort it out!

Box is now up and running again, thank you. However, now only seem to be able to pick up a maximum of 12 channels, can't even get ITV....Have tried setting tuner configuration to automatic in case it lost some settings in the reflash but that all seems to be working as it should and signal strength is shown as strong. Any ideas why I can't find any more channels please?

Many thanks

When one updates the box, it should make before updating a a backup in backup manager, just restore that.

adm
25-06-17, 21:23
Hi gerinemo

Many thanks

What is your box configured for? Satellite, cable or terrestrial TV via an aerial? And if the latter do you know from which transmitter you are getting your signals? If satellite are you just going for Freesat or some other service.

cactikid
25-06-17, 23:16
original vu duo has fixed twin tuners and no mention if usb tuners are in use?

Jojo73
26-06-17, 18:51
Thanks Alec

I did do a backup and I did restore it once it was up and running again....

When one updates the box, it should make before updating a a backup in backup manager, just restore that.

Jojo73
26-06-17, 18:56
Hi Adm and Cactikid

Box is configured for satellite, and it is set up for 28.2E Astra 2E/2F/2G from both Tuner A and B. Have reset them to Automatic and rescanned but they both picked up Astra again.

Configuration mode is Simple and Mode is Single on both. No USB tuners in use, just the fixed twin tuners.

What is your box configured for? Satellite, cable or terrestrial TV via an aerial? And if the latter do you know from which transmitter you are getting your signals? If satellite are you just going for Freesat or some other service.

gerinemo
27-06-17, 10:50
Have you tried re flashing without restoring the backup

Also what version of vix are you flashing latest or the same version before it went to pot ?

Jojo73
27-06-17, 16:03
When I re-flashed the box it automatically asked to install the backup which is why I selected it. I can reflash again and opt not to install back up if you think that might work?

I flashed to the latest version of vix at the time 5 0 018

Have you tried re flashing without restoring the backup

Also what version of vix are you flashing latest or the same version before it went to pot ?

gerinemo
27-06-17, 18:41
If it were me
I would reflash without a restore as a dozen channels is not great
I would also try a different version probably the latest 5 0 020 just to rule it out
http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/vu-plus-images/vu-duo/

Jojo73
08-07-17, 06:58
Thanks Gerinemo

Apologies for the delay in coming back to you, but I finally had a chance to try this a couple of days ago and all is now working perfectly again! thank you so much for your help.

gerinemo
08-07-17, 07:40
Glad you got it sorted :-)