PDA

View Full Version : [TM-NANO-2-SUPER] Box just restarts about 25mins into playback

georgecarter
11-06-17, 16:06
Hi All, could I have some help please with a restart issue during playback.
I've flashed my box (nano2 super) with v5.0.016 3 days ago. I'm watching a SD TV recording which was
recorded and stored on my 1TB hdd (40% available) using v5.0.016.
About 25 mins into the recording the box just restarts, no warning/error message, its as if the power was turned off.
This has happened 3 times now (different days), each time about 25 - 27 mins into the playback.
When the box is powered up again I navigate to the media file and its icon shows green as if it hadn't been viewed yet. The media file plays fine and to the end. Subsequent playback on other files is fine.
During the playback there were no other events about to start at the same time (recordings, file transfers, edit settings..)
So it could be a heat issue, but the box just restarts and continues OK. So it could be some sort of buffering / cache/ fill size issue ???
Any suggestions please, do you need any other information.
Thanks G.

ccs
11-06-17, 16:09
Processor temperature of 103C sound very hot to me. (My et10k is currently showing 70C)

georgecarter
11-06-17, 16:33
Processor temperature of 103C sound very hot to me. (My et10k is currently showing 70C)
The box is only slightly warm to touch all sides, far far cooler than my laptop. Have changed the fan back to max and the temp is now at 94. Its v.hot today (now) but we had the playback restart first thing this morning. Playback restart issue is new
Cheers

abu baniaz
11-06-17, 18:28
Is there a crash log generated or just a restart?

georgecarter
11-06-17, 18:52
just a restart.....but how do I know if there is a crash log (stupid question I know)

abu baniaz
11-06-17, 19:05
It will be in home/root/logs by default

How old is the receiver?

georgecarter
11-06-17, 19:41
the /home/root/logs directory is empty.
the box was bought March 2016, with the HDD direct from Technomate

abu baniaz
11-06-17, 19:47
Is the CPU heatsink secure? Don't exert too much force when checking!

It might be an idea to phone Technomate and follow any diagnostics they ask you to carry out.

georgecarter
11-06-17, 20:05
Erm...I think I'll phone Technomate tomorrow and ask, the temp is now 113.
You think its likely to be hardware than software ?

georgecarter
22-06-17, 16:55
Think this is solved now, but thought others might benefit from the outcome.
Got the box back from Technomate, which after testing said it could be HDD or their board. The HDD was v.noisy.
Tested it out and as before the box just restarted again at 25 mins, but now on restart would die in 15 mins,
then again in 8 mins. Aha I thought must be the heat (info said it was an incredible 124) or the HDD which by now was buzzing.

Problems;
Looking at the heatsink as designed it overlapped the HDD so you could never use all mounting screws. The HDD was
touching the heatsink fins, hence the noise whenever the HDD was spinning.

The heatsink was never stuck correctly onto the chip.
It had a thick compound blob underneath covering about 1/3 of the heatsink area that produced a 1.5 - 2mm gap from the chip.
So the heat would have a hard time getting through the compound where it touched, let alone jump the air gap.

Solutions;
Filed all the compound off and made sure the heatsink was smooth, dead flat and made to match the chip profile.
No spring retainer on the heatsink so I used a thin smear of "Fernox" all over heatsink. I had to offset the heatsink position so it was not concentric but giving a safe 2mm overlap towards the HDD edge.
Slotted the holes on the HDD board mounting bracket so it could be moved away from the heatsink / chip, and cut off bits of the bracket that fouled the box edge. HDD was mounted using all the screws leaving it just clear of the heatsink. New super secure and vibration free.

Outcome;
Box now runs between 45 - 68. Yesterday it ran at 73 but the weather was exceptional. No noise from the HDD at all. No restarts like before. Indeed the other symptom I had was the display seemed to ripple at the edges at odd times, that now appears to have gone.

Could be I had a duffo box from day 1, or it was fitted with an oversize heatsink
Anyway thanks for listening, G

twol
22-06-17, 17:45
This sounds like a real quality control/design issue ... you certainly should not have to do all that work ... pretty basic .
Doesn't say a lot for Technomates build quality.