PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] 4.3 full screen + 16.9 problem

Rimmel
07-06-17, 12:58
I like my 4.3 recordings to show in full screen and having problems with Vix 4x and 5x

If i set 4.3 to just scale AND 16.9 to just scale it works fine. However then letterbox 16.9 shows or movies blow up to full screen.

So the ideal setting would be:

4.3 -> Just scale
16.9 -> letterbox

However this does not work. Now the 16.9 if fine but the 4.3 goes back to having black bars. It seems that the two settings are linked.

Is this by design or perhaps a bug?

thanks
Rim

malcolmp
07-06-17, 13:47
I like my 4.3 recordings to show in full screen and having problems with Vix 4x and 5x

If i set 4.3 to just scale AND 16.9 to just scale it works fine. However then letterbox 16.9 shows or movies blow up to full screen.

So the ideal setting would be:

4.3 -> Just scale
16.9 -> letterbox

However this does not work. Now the 16.9 if fine but the 4.3 goes back to having black bars. It seems that the two settings are linked.

Is this by design or perhaps a bug?

thanks
Rim
When viewing 4:3 TV shows (e.g. "Sorry" on UK Gold)) your picture should black bars either side, when viewing TV shows made in the past few years' your picture will fill the screen, when viewing films shot in 2.40:1 your TV picture will have black bars at top and bottom.

Rimmel
07-06-17, 14:56
Thanks for the reply - however nothing to do with my problem.

I can get "recordings" to do what I want in a fashion - but not at the same time. I can get full screen on old "recordings" - but only if I have full screen (just scale) on 16.9 (e.g. if film is in letterbox then it makes that full screen as well) and just scale on 4.3.

As mentioned before it seems the just scale 4.3 and the just scale 16.9 are linked - and i feel that should be independent.

thanks

malcolmp
07-06-17, 15:19
Thanks for the reply - however nothing to do with my problem.

I can get "recordings" to do what I want in a fashion - but not at the same time. I can get full screen on old "recordings" - but only if I have full screen (just scale) on 16.9 (e.g. if film is in letterbox then it makes that full screen as well) and just scale on 4.3.

As mentioned before it seems the just scale 4.3 and the just scale 16.9 are linked - and i feel that should be independent.

thanks

Maybe that’s what I had a problem with on my Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder, when I have recorded a 4:3 film/tv show, sometimes it will stretch the picture to full screen, likewise when I record a 16:9 programme sometimes it squashes it, no matter what settings are on the HDD player or TV, so I have to manually change aspect. At least when watching the programmes nowadays the broadcasters' automatically change the aspect to the correct one!

Rimmel
07-06-17, 15:26
Yes - sort of. The thing is I can get it to stretch the 4.3 when I want, but only with the 16.9 settings changed, the 16.9 settings should not affect the 4.3 setting. Hence me thinking it is a bug.

thanks again.

malcolmp
07-06-17, 15:37
Yes - sort of. The thing is I can get it to stretch the 4.3 when I want, but only with the 16.9 settings changed, the 16.9 settings should not affect the 4.3 setting. Hence me thinking it is a bug.

thanks again.

Well one thing I can think of: when a 4:3 show is on BBC4 HD the aspect is 4:3 with black bars on sides, on BBC4 SD the same programme is stretched to full screen 16:9, so it doesn't look right on the SD, is this what you are referring to?

Dark Cloud
07-06-17, 16:54
original poster- "I like my 4.3 recordings to show in full screen".
Think you may be in a minority that like 4:3 stretch out to 16:9.
I like my black sidebars.
Could you not just set everything to 16:9 ?.

tapkor
08-06-17, 13:14
There is no such option as "16:9 content", obviously, but ">16:9 content". I suppose most will want to see 4:3 content pillarboxed and >16:9 content letterboxed. Why would you want it otherwise?

Rimmel
09-06-17, 12:35
There is no such option as "16:9 content", obviously, but ">16:9 content". I suppose most will want to see 4:3 content pillarboxed and >16:9 content letterboxed. Why would you want it otherwise?

Why is beyond the scope of this thread.

Rimmel
09-06-17, 12:41
OK let me try to explain again:

4.3 expanded to 16.9 works - when BOTH the 4.3 and 16.9 settings are set to "Just Scale".

However when I change the 16.9 setting to letterbox .... this setting affects the 4.3 setting (makes it appear in pillarbox mode) .... and I feel it shouldn't because the two settings should be independent. Hence I feel it is a BUG that needs fixing.

Having a conversation on WHY I like 4.3 fullscreen is irrelevant - e.g. I also do not like tomatoes and Brains Faggots (for younger people a faggot is a meatball type food....), should we discuss that as well?

thanks

tapkor
09-06-17, 16:35
OK let me try to explain again:
Having a conversation on WHY I like 4.3 fullscreen is irrelevant - e.g. I also do not like tomatoes and Brains Faggots (for younger people a faggot is a meatball type food....), should we discuss that as well?
thanks

You could open a new thread although this is perhaps not a right forum for that. My question was a rhetoric one, since I thought that I had misunderstood what you want.

For me even "just scale" does not expand 4:3 to 16:9. Is your box connected with HDMI or with scart or with something else? I use HDMI. Maybe it is your TV set which messes things up? At least in my Sony the workings of the picture settings are beyond comprehension--at least beyond my comprehension.