PDA

View Full Version : GigaBlue Quad 4K

twol
28-05-17, 19:30
Delivery: Good packaging, but hate the plastic wrap

Package Contents:
Receiver, plus excellent 412 page Handbook, unfortunately for English speakers in German, but you can get by.
... very comprehensive, including the normal stuff, plus FCB tuner setup, HDD and (Optional) Tuner installation
... apart from screenshots, excellent
Receiver, solid (see internal screenshots), plus initally disappointing small colour LCD (compared to ET8500) but on power up is good quality
Comes with HDD cable, caddy screws (longer than normal) plus (please note) a square plastic block that contains push out washers for insertion between caddy and HDD.... hence length of caddy screws
Remote ... excellent, comprehensive and can be used to control other devices

Installation:HDD
When will these outfits learn from the Xtrend ET8500 (attach to caddy (4 screws) and slide in.
This needs 5 screws casing, 4 screws caddy, 4 screws attach HDD, re-attach caddy (4), re-attach casing 5 ........give me a break!!
plus attach power cable and SATA cable

Image:
Comes with OpenMIPS, typical wizards and easy set up, except I had to go into German to find (later) the tuner config setup --- couldn't find it in English.
FBC tuner setup straight forward (although manual helps)
In OpenMips lightning fast and excellent picture.
FBC works as expected - I have tuner A on 28.2E only as an FBC tuner and Tuner B is a 19.2E & 28.2E normal dvb-S2 tuner setup.

Then couch flashed to OpenVix
Basically works fine, although for some things it is not as fast as OpenMips and also setting up the services was a pain in the ***
I initially had by mistake setup the FBC tuner with 19.2E and it would not forget it, so doing a scan completely ****** up.
Probably my issue with my ViX but need to look at it.

Overall, very smooth, quality receiver (so far!)

Will try OpenATV tomorrow and play further with ViX

twol
28-05-17, 20:47
Edit: a small typo: the manual is 112 pages.... but still comprehensive!

2stein
28-05-17, 21:59
how long is the cold boot?

Emulated
28-05-17, 22:35
Looks very good, will see what your views are after you have mastered it all.

Huevos
29-05-17, 08:47
Then couch flashed to OpenVix
Basically works fine, although for some things it is not as fast as OpenMips and also setting up the services was a pain in the ***
I initially had by mistake setup the FBC tuner with 19.2E and it would not forget it, so doing a scan completely ****** up.Before anyone asks, this is not an official OpenViX image, because there isn't one. That means nothing in this unofficial image has been added to take advantage of any special features this STB offers. Not even correct video modes.

John57
29-05-17, 09:35
Twol , good update

Many thanks

John.

2stein
29-05-17, 09:46
how long is the cold boot?
read 55s in the german board... which is :eek:

twol
29-05-17, 10:46
Before anyone asks, this is not an official OpenViX image, because there isn't one. That means nothing in this unofficial image has been added to take advantage of any special features this STB offers. Not even correct video modes.

Yes, it's an absolutely unofficial build :), but everything including video modes, Imagebackup, couch flash, GigaBlue RCU support, hdmi-In, DVB-S NIM(45208 FBC) etc are in. ....... may not be the best code :) but works at the moment

bassethound
29-05-17, 12:18
I bet OpenAtv 6 runs better

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/6.0/index.php?open=gbquad4k

twol
29-05-17, 12:44
I bet OpenAtv 6 runs better

http://images.mynonpublic.com/openatv/6.0/index.php?open=gbquad4k
Why? Runs fine.
...but will let you know later about ATV

Emulated
29-05-17, 14:21
On the GB 4K is the CI CI+? The other one here had a CI+ Fransat cam and card as a present a couple of months back from her friends in France, but as my setup was not working at the time she has not been able to use it. I have been told not all boxes have CI+.

twol
29-05-17, 16:06
On the GB 4K is the CI CI+? The other one here had a CI+ Fransat cam and card as a present a couple of months back from her friends in France, but as my setup was not working at the time she has not been able to use it. I have been told not all boxes have CI+.
CI+ is marked as working, although not something I can test.

abu baniaz
29-05-17, 16:12
@twol, can you push the changes to avoid duplication of effort please?

twol
29-05-17, 18:10
@twol, can you push the changes to avoid duplication of effort please?

If can will do ... afraid I am not the most organised guy... but will look at doing it once I am through this weeks testing and happy with the results.

twol
29-05-17, 18:22
Current status: have sorted out why my FBC config was messing up, although once you seem to define an incorrect satellite (like 19.2E) it never seems to forget - hence automatic sat scan screws up and I also lose whichever tuner I mess up... even if I go back and correct.
However, have to say that once you know what you are doing, it's much easier configuring on ViX than ATV :)

Apart from that the only difference between ATV and ViX is which you like best:)
However, must go back to MIPS, as at the time it seemed faster ..... just wish Multiboot was currently installed .. would save a lot of time.

So basically have both ATV and ViX set up as I like them, so will play a bit more....like all my receivers I only couch flash...... still haven't had to usb flash the GiGaBlue.

Overall, still a really nice receiver .. but boot up and restarts do take time.... which for me is not a big deal, and I regularly change images/releases.... but for some people seems a big deal:)

Huevos
30-05-17, 08:10
Current status: have sorted out why my FBC config was messing up, although once you seem to define an incorrect satellite (like 19.2E) it never seems to forget - hence automatic sat scan screws up and I also lose whichever tuner I mess up... even if I go back and correct.
However, have to say that once you know what you are doing, it's much easier configuring on ViX than ATV :)Can you give more detail about this issue. Also please follow Abu's request.

twol
02-06-17, 14:56
So with my wife returning at the weekend :), have just about reached the end of my testing on the GigaBlue UHD 4K.
As far as I have tested, everything that is supposed to work at this moment in time appears to work, both in my (modified) ViX and the 2 other images.
FBC Tuners, work both with Unicable (through a Spaun multiswitch) and normal (via EMP multiswitch)... so I have currently 7 tuners through Unicable to 28.2E and 1 tuner DiSEqC to 28.2E/19.2E.
Will modify this over the coming weeks, now I know it all works.

Front panel display (although smaller than ET8500) is very clear and good colour, and the vertical LED
indicator is both hard to miss and works well (can be turned off)

Picture with both 2160 and 1080 is really nice (as have all my Arm 4K receivers)

Remote is really nice and covers most eventualities. Have not tried it to control anything else, but should work.

Boot times and switching times are not spectacular, but otherwise it comes across as a really nice, good quality, normal looking black box that does everything that is asked.

Hopefully, once GigaBlue have returned from Anga Com and the coming holiday in Germany, they will fix the rest:):)