PDA

View Full Version : Is there a VPN for ET8500

ALIEN1X
27-05-17, 11:12
Hi,

Is there a VPN plug in that can be used for ET8500 and can I use any VPN provider like IPVanish or ExpressVPN?
Is there guide how to set up VPN on ET8500?

The other alternative is to install it on my router but trying to avoid that complexity.

Andy_Hazza
27-05-17, 13:39
I would think installing directly to the router would be way better than any plugin/app etc. Thats my personal opinion n that is what I intend to do when I get a spare few mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ALIEN1X
27-05-17, 17:20
I would think installing directly to the router would be way better than any plugin/app etc. Thats my personal opinion n that is what I intend to do when I get a spare few mins.

Your right, although its complex procedure, the router has to be DD-DRT compatible or have that firmware installed for your router, then theres a load of configureations. I was under the impression there may be a Linux plugin. I did read somewhere that VU+ Have the facilities but was not shure if one was available for ET8500

seame
27-05-17, 17:34
Try PIA I've heard you can get the config file for openvpn on their website

ALIEN1X
29-05-17, 00:05
Try PIA I've heard you can get the config file for openvpn on their website
I was thinking of ipvanish or expressvpn ?
I noted there is VPN setting on the receiver but this is open vpn, so not sure how its set up/configured with VPn providers?
I will look at openvix site regarding the config file.

daz450
29-05-17, 22:46
I have got IPVANISH running Fine on Duo2.

johnhoe
30-05-17, 08:41
I agree with Andy's suggestion. Installing Vpn client to a router is relatively easy. I am with Safervpn and they provide a full screendump guide of setting up either Openvpn or PPTP. As has been said: One needs to check that your router is capable of being flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato firmware. This is the only tricky operation as often routers (such as my Asus) cannot be directly flashed to DD-WRT, rather you have to flash it to an opensource minimal firmware first as an intermediary (openwrt). The advantages of using the router as the vpn device is that everything on the local network becomes vpn protected without needing additional software. However the disadvantage is that line speed can drop by as much as 25% due to the load on the router.

Ashley69
30-05-17, 09:06
Note : There are 2 OpenVPN configurations you can set up on a vpn router.
1. Installing files from your Vpn provider that will change your ip and mask where you are. You choose which location file from the ones provided by your provider.
2. These routers will let you create your own OPENVPN config file.
This file is then installed on your devices (pc , phone, tablet etc) and when activated via the OPENVPN app on your device will let you log onto your boxes from anywhere without opening ports.
It is also has 256 aes encryption.

Iwenka
01-06-17, 08:24
Hi,

Is there a VPN plug in that can be used for ET8500 and can I use any VPN provider like IPVanish or ExpressVPN?
Is there guide how to set up VPN on ET8500?

The other alternative is to install it on my router but trying to avoid that complexity.

You can try configuring PureVPN on your router. I have done so with the help of their support centre and customer support.

You can follow these links here

https://www.purevpn.com/router-vpn.php

https://support.purevpn.com/router-manual-setup-guide

gibbletts
01-06-17, 12:12
I've used openvpn on my duo 2 for the last 12 months with no problems

ALIEN1X
08-06-17, 20:09
With using a vpn on router, u can not change servers form the provider?
For example if you use Netherlands server, u can not not change it on the fly to US etc
I gues the same could be with saterlite recivers compared to PC or android media players etc?

Any tips on above would help

Ashley69
08-06-17, 20:50
The Asus router does allow you to add different country configurations . I have PIA and have configurations setup for different countries. This is done in the vpn menu. Then you just switch to a different country with a couple of clicks in the router menu.

ALIEN1X
08-06-17, 21:27
The Asus router does allow you to add different country configurations . I have PIA and have configurations setup for different countries. This is done in the vpn menu. Then you just switch to a different country with a couple of clicks in the router menu.

I have a NETGEAR Nighthawk R70000 with DD-WRT firmware.
But not sure how to configure it to select change different servers on the fly if I install ipvanish configuration in it, I would assume its fixed server as thre is no software install from any VPN provier onlyu configuration settings?

ALIEN1X
08-06-17, 21:32
I have got IPVANISH running Fine on Duo2.

How did you install IPvanish on the reciver, I assume its Linux config files of some sort?
can you also change and select difrent servers around the world?

daz450
08-06-17, 23:43
Follow this Link Simples: https://www.tech2guides.co.uk/how-to-setup-vpn-on-enigma2-openatv/

Works on VIX:thumbsup:

ALIEN1X
10-06-17, 14:27
Follow this Link Simples: https://www.tech2guides.co.uk/how-to-setup-vpn-on-enigma2-openatv/

Works on VIX:thumbsup:

I tried the above, but when I get to the last step the vpn is not running its says stoped and status disabled even when hitting the button on the remote. I see the vix sign poping up and rotaing but nothing more, it just says stoped?

Also dose this have the abiity to change server locations on the fly?

I do have ipvanish account.
I put the converted files in the openvpn folder which is placed in Etc folder under the root directory so its root/etc/openvpn

daz450
11-06-17, 00:19
Try restarting box after config then try starting . only 1 location is needed just chose preferred

kryton
11-06-17, 00:37
This may have little relevance to this thread, but more of a heads up for people with the superhub 3...
i was trying for days to configure my receiver with PIA and openvpn.
It Turned out that the superhub 3 has no VPN passthrough. i had to put it into modem mode and use my asus n66u router in order for the VPN to work.

ALIEN1X
11-06-17, 01:49
This may have little relevance to this thread, but more of a heads up for people with the superhub 3...
i was trying for days to configure my receiver with PIA and openvpn.
It Turned out that the superhub 3 has no VPN passthrough. i had to put it into modem mode and use my asus n66u router in order for the VPN to work.

I have superhub3 in modem mode and using netgear router

ALIEN1X
11-06-17, 01:57
Try restarting box after config then try starting . only 1 location is needed just chose preferred

I tried that, still not working

ALIEN1X
11-06-17, 11:40
Inside my receiver folders I have 3 files under etc/openvpn folder as follows:

ca.ipvanish.com

Client.Conf files that consists of the following:

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote lon-a02.ipvanish.com 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
auth-nocache
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt
verify-x509-name lon-a02.ipvanish.com name
auth-user-pass login.txt
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth SHA256
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA
log / etc/openvpn/ipvanish.log

login txt file that consists of the following:
User name
Password

Rather then ftp the files into the receiver, I copied and pasted them via windows explorer network which can access my reciver files.
So for some strange reason its show disabled on my receiver and will not connect?

ALIEN1X
14-06-17, 19:15

Hi, tried the set up but having problems connecting as on my recent posts , see post 21 if you can kindly advise?

daz450
15-06-17, 20:17
Mines set up like this

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote lon-a03.ipvanish.com 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
auth-nocache
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt
verify-x509-name lon-a03.ipvanish.com name
auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/password.conf
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth SHA256
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA
log /etc/openvpn/ipvanish.log

daz450
15-06-17, 20:19
Rename login.txt to Password.conf

ALIEN1X
16-06-17, 18:58
Rename login.txt to Password.conf

does that also include renaming the sperate user and password file or just leave that as .txt?

and rewrite the path auth-user-pass login.txt like yours - auth-user-pass /etc/openvpn/password.conf?

iether way I will giev it a go.

OK tied above and rewriting the path, I also rebooted and still not working?

daz450
18-06-17, 17:51
Try Client.conf

like this : client
dev tun
proto udp
remote lon-a26.ipvanish.com 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
auth-nocache
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt
verify-x509-name lon-a26.ipvanish.com name
auth-user-pass login.txt
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth SHA256
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
tls-cipher TLS-DHE-RSA-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-DHE-DSS-WITH-AES-256-CBC-SHA:TLS-RSA-WITH-AES

daz450
18-06-17, 17:52
Rename login details to login.txt press green button to set running there wil be a bit of a delay then restart the box and check its running.

daz450
18-06-17, 17:57
these are the 3 files you need in the openvpn folder.

ca.ipvanish.com.crt
client.conf
login.txt

ALIEN1X
21-06-17, 20:54
these are the 3 files you need in the openvpn folder.

ca.ipvanish.com.crt
client.conf
login.txt

I tried as your posts 26-28 although it says VPN enabled, its still red: current status stoped. I pressed the greemn button and nothing happens evan after restarting.

Note i copied the files over via windows explorer instead of putty etc.

I have 3 files under etc/openvpn, called:

ca.ipvanish.com (file extension security certificate)
client (file extention .conf)
login (file extension .txt)

daz450
21-06-17, 23:17
I'm not sure mate, mine isn't working today.

ALIEN1X
22-06-17, 18:13
I'm not sure mate, mine isn't working today.
Thats strange, as I have been trying this setup for sometime. Im not sure if it has to do with settings on the router. I have DD-WRT router but not setup in vpn mode, just normal mode.

I did contact ipm vanish about the setup process under https://www.tech2guides.co.uk/how-to-setup-vpn-on-enigma2-openatv/

They keep saying that they only support DD-WRT and tomato routers for any saterlight setup running linux....im baffled:confused:

daz450
22-06-17, 23:07
Check now working again after latest update.

ALIEN1X
23-06-17, 14:16

Hi, When youb say latest update, do you mean update vix?

ALIEN1X
23-06-17, 21:18
I trid latest vix update still no chnage. VPN Shows:
Auto srart - enabled
current status : stoped

I pressed the green button, also repobooted still no joy:confused:

daz450
24-06-17, 00:01
maybe the area server you chose is down maybe try a different one

ALIEN1X
24-06-17, 12:40

It is the same configeration as yours inlcluding the server. Accept the password/username is difrent.
Im using ET8500 and netgear R7000 router with DD-WRT firmware on it running in normal mode and not as built in vpn.:confused:

ALIEN1X
24-06-17, 13:29

login.txt and ca.ipvanish.co. security certificate are also in - root/etc/openvpn/

Also is included the client .conf file below

client
dev tun
proto udp
remote lon-a26.ipvanish.com 443
resolv-retry infinite
nobind
auth-nocache
persist-key
persist-tun
persist-remote-ip
ca ca.ipvanish.com.crt
verify-x509-name lon-a26.ipvanish.com name
auth-user-pass login.txt
comp-lzo
verb 3
auth SHA256
cipher AES-256-CBC
keysize 256
log / etc/openvpn/ipvanish.log

daz450
24-06-17, 23:07
have you changed your password to your account after registering?

ALIEN1X
25-06-17, 17:09
have you changed your password to your account after registering?
I did and updated the login.txt file. Still the same issue?:confused:

it only works on my windows laptopn and android deviced. As mentioned I did ask IPanish support and they say the linux saterlite vpn setup is not supported by them and it will only work on DDWRT ot tomato routers if using linux sat boxes?

keeling55
05-07-17, 09:12
I'm having the same trouble, tried everything in the posts listed above but no luck. Still have Current Status Flag as 'stopped'.

Might delete everything and start again tonight.

Would someone mind posting up the contents of a working .conf file so I can check it against mine.

I assume just a .txt file with user name and password is ok?

ALIEN1X
09-07-17, 00:27
I'm having the same trouble, tried everything in the posts listed above but no luck. Still have Current Status Flag as 'stopped'.

Might delete everything and start again tonight.

Would someone mind posting up the contents of a working .conf file so I can check it against mine.

I assume just a .txt file with user name and password is ok?

I dont think this setup works, I have done alot of reaserch and tried to get help form tech support from ipvanish and they do not suppprt this method.
I may just go for dual router setup so one ist just normal router with individaukl clienst running client vpn apps and the other router as vpn router for devices that can not configerued or have apps installed in them.

There is a process of policy based roting so one can configre dd wrt rooters to allow certain devceis ti pass through them, but that has its own problems and complicaions.

Link for dual rouer below as I can this as the only way. Be good if vix tean could develope a vpn app plugin for any provider.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=%2fn3cbcb4&id=558BC19181A49CCBB68BD7E36E50FD318AEB6041&thid=OIP._n3cbcb4gzzHN16xwOrJ6AEsDo&q=dual+rouer+setup&simid=608030786451148745&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

Andy_Hazza
09-07-17, 07:52
As I've mentioned before, I would invest in a Router that lets you install the VPN at root as opposed to running Apps etc.

keeling55
09-07-17, 08:56
I dont think this setup works, I have done alot of reaserch and tried to get help form tech support from ipvanish and they do not suppprt this method.
I may just go for dual router setup so one ist just normal router with individaukl clienst running client vpn apps and the other router as vpn router for devices that can not configerued or have apps installed in them.

There is a process of policy based roting so one can configre dd wrt rooters to allow certain devceis ti pass through them, but that has its own problems and complicaions.

Link for dual rouer below as I can this as the only way. Be good if vix tean could develope a vpn app plugin for any provider.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=%2fn3cbcb4&id=558BC19181A49CCBB68BD7E36E50FD318AEB6041&thid=OIP._n3cbcb4gzzHN16xwOrJ6AEsDo&q=dual+rouer+setup&simid=608030786451148745&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

I've decided to set mine up as a dual router arrangement. I've just bought a cheap wrt linksys from ebay and will give it a go when it arrives. My sat box and Android box will by Lan connected to it, then I'll use home plugs to connect it to my isp router that's located upstairs.

ALIEN1X
09-07-17, 21:06
As I've mentioned before, I would invest in a Router that lets you install the VPN at root as opposed to running Apps etc.

Thats what Im now kind of thinking of doing as dual router setup. I was trying to do it on a single router as I only want to have my sat reciver going thru router vpn since VPN provider apps can not be installed on the ET8500. and all other devices connected will have individual vpn apps for greater control.

ALIEN1X
09-07-17, 21:08
I've decided to set mine up as a dual router arrangement. I've just bought a cheap wrt linksys from ebay and will give it a go when it arrives. My sat box and Android box will by Lan connected to it, then I'll use home plugs to connect it to my isp router that's located upstairs.

I was thinking of Linksys WRT1900ACS OR wrft2300acm, but now thinking of Netgear r7800 as my router is R7000. Its good to have gigabit ports as the cheaper routers do not have them

ALIEN1X
09-07-17, 21:09
Anyone know how to assign a fixed ip address on ET8500?

Bangord30
09-07-17, 23:55
Disable dhcp basically in network adapter settings

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

ALIEN1X
10-07-17, 15:12
Disable dhcp basically in network adapter settings

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Once I do that, will a static ip be applied automatically or do I have input a fixed address?
The reason for this question is that want to try and connect to a VPN router with my sat dish and have all the rest connection by pass VPN. It just saves me buying 2 routers for just one connection.

ALIEN1X
14-07-17, 23:00

how u getting on with your dual router set up , dose it work?
can u still connect client apps to your normal router and have a dd wrt vpn router running as well?

johnty
16-08-17, 22:36
Hi, just wondered if your dual router setup worked okay?