PDA

View Full Version : Sky announces major EPG reshuffle

bassethound
18-01-11, 15:23
Sky has today confirmed a reshuffle of its electronic programme guide (EPG), including new channel slots for MTV and Syfy, along with a high definition 'channel swap' system aimed at increasing HD usage.

On February 1, the satellite broadcaster will launch the biggest single update to its channel lineup in over a decade as part of efforts to "make it even easier for customers to discover and enjoy the best in pay television".

The most significant change is the new HD 'channel swap' system for Sky+ HD homes, which will see selected HD channels gain greater prominence on the EPG.

Under the system, around 40 channels in Sky's HD pack will 'swap' positions on the EPG with their standard definition counterparts. For example, anyone pressing channel 106 will find Sky 1 HD, as the channel's SD version will move to 170. The change is primarily aimed at ensuring Sky+ HD subscribers make the most of the HD channels available to them.

However, various channels have opted out of the system, including all the main terrestrial networks, along with Discovery HD, Eurosport HD, MGM HD and MTVN HD.

Other changes to be introduced by Sky include MTV, Comedy Central, Universal, Syfy and FX being given higher profile channel slots in the entertainment section of the EPG.

Comedy Central move from channel 126 to 112, and Universal will relocate from 130 to 113. Syfy will shift to channel 114 from 129, FX will upgrade to 124 from 164 and MTV will move to 126 from 350, reclassifying the network as a general entertainment channel.

Sky will also create a new entertainment trio featuring Sky1 at channel 106, Sky Living (formerly the Living channel) at 107 and the big budget Sky Atlantic channel at 108.

Rob Webster, Sky's Commercial Director, said: "We want our customers to be able to discover and enjoy the content they are most passionate about. That's why we've worked with a range of partner channels to ensure that customers can find their favourite pay-TV channels and programming as easily as possible.

"And with high definition viewing now demanded as standard, this has also meant swapping HD channels into the EPG numbers that our customers know best. The combination of high quality content, an intuitive, easy-to-use EPG, and innovative services like Sky+ HD and Sky Anytime+, means our customers benefit from real choice, control and flexibility of viewing, whether linear or on-demand."

Celebrating the EPG reshuffle, Fox International Channels UK managing director Jason Thorp said: "FX has consistently delivered high quality exclusive content worthy of any channel on the first page of the EPG but from a disadvantaged position.

"With FX at channel 124 a far wider audience will now be exposed to great first run shows such as True Blood,Walking Dead and Eastbound and Down. We now have the platform to consolidate and grow the brand's position as one of the key drivers in pay-TV."

MTVN executive vice president David Lynn said: "These EPG moves are a great coup for MTV Networks UK. Not only do they reinforce the strength of the MTV Network brands in the UK in helping increase value for Sky customers, they also demonstrate the value of the brands in helping differentiate pay TV. With our channels higher placed on the EPG, viewers will have an easier and better content discovery experience."

Universal Networks International UK managing director Laurence Dawkin-Jones added: "Given the quality of programming on Syfy and Universal Channel we have always wanted to bring our channels to as wide an audience as possible. The new EPG slots will make us even easier for Sky's customers to find, and help us to grow beyond our existing loyal audiences to reach new viewers who may not have yet sampled the channels."

Diablo13
18-01-11, 19:28
I think this is good news, with hd tv becoming more the norm all the time.
What really swings it for me with hd tv is not just the better picture, but the far better 5.1 sound output.
All the major channels are bound to go hd as soon as they are able, which will streamline the amount of broadcast channels and free up a lot of airspace as well.
Unfortunately this is bound to take some time as many people will stick to sd channels until their old tellys eventually die a sudden horrible death! ;)

Slightly on a tangent to this thread, will a program re scan remove the now defunct Bravo channels from the EPG?
I just thought I would ask before I did a full scan and nothing changed!

Lewiscc
18-01-11, 19:46
a scan should remove the defunct channels .... as long as clear before scan is selected

Diablo13
18-01-11, 20:07
Thanks for the quick reply Lewiscc.
When I scanned before it didn't clear them, because I hadn't cleared before scan I now realize.
So If I clear first, will I lose any epg dependent recording timers I have set?
Not a major issue, but it means I will need to choose my time carefully before doing the re scan.

Donnie
18-01-11, 20:29
The main thing you loose when you clear before a scan are the interactive channels and sports channels such as football first.
I generally just delete from bouquet and add as required.
Bravo channels now just have numbers against them.

Diablo13
18-01-11, 20:37
That sounds like a good alternative Donnie, Thanks!
I don't know why it didn't occur to me before about removing them from my favourits bouquet.
Just being a bit thick I suppose! :confused: