PDA

View Full Version : Connect HD51 to modulator

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 12:42
Also would like to know if the av can be connected to a hdmi modulator from WOS then connect that to my 6 way booster in loft. Have found a 4 pole jack to 3 rca connectors but the modulator only has 2 f plugs and hdmi. And where do you connect the hdmi too.

Joe_90
21-05-17, 15:59
If it's the HDMI modulator on the site, then you would connect the HDMI out from the device (STB or DVD player or whatever) to the modulator and then feed the remote TV via coax out from the modulator. The output is DVB-T so will feed any standard digital TV tuner. The benefit over an older analogue modulator is that the output can be full HD.
I don't think the modulator on the WoS site has facility for AV in - only HDMI in.
It's a bit expensive for feeding just one other TV - might suit a installation where you want a single feed to many TVs. An alternative if feeding just one TV would be to get a basic E2 receiver with no tuners and use CAT5 cable to network it with the main STB.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 17:12
If it's the HDMI modulator on the site, then you would connect the HDMI out from the device (STB or DVD player or whatever) to the modulator and then feed the remote TV via coax out from the modulator. The output is DVB-T so will feed any standard digital TV tuner. The benefit over an older analogue modulator is that the output can be full HD.
I don't think the modulator on the WoS site has facility for AV in - only HDMI in.
It's a bit expensive for feeding just one other TV - might suit a installation where you want a single feed to many TVs. An alternative if feeding just one TV would be to get a basic E2 receiver with no tuners and use CAT5 cable to network it with the main STB. Have purchased a Mut@nt HD51 and it has a av socket at rear no HDMI out and want it to feed a 8 tv booster in loft so all tvs receive the same channel. I am using a analogue modulator at moment with a scart connection to the Vu+Duo2 scart want to replace with Mut@nt HD51 which has no scart.

abu baniaz
21-05-17, 17:15
it has a av socket at rear no HDMI out

That is HDMI signal out connection.

ccs
21-05-17, 17:15
Have purchased a Mut@nt HD51 and it has a av socket at rear no HDMI out and want it to feed a 8 tv booster in loft so all tvs receive the same channel. I am using a analogue modulator at moment with a scart connection to the Vu+Duo2 scart want to replace with Mut@nt HD51 which has no scart.No HDMI out?

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 17:18
No HDMI out? HDMI in lol.

abu baniaz
21-05-17, 17:38
The HDMI wire goes in to that port.
The HDMI signal from STB goes out of that port.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 17:40
Here is what i want to connect. Mut@nt HD51 to HDMI modulator then to a 6/8 tv booster in loft. Would like to know what connectors i will need to connect all 3.

abu baniaz
21-05-17, 17:45
Does the HDMI modulator have more HDMI ports?

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 17:57
Here is what i want to connect. Mut@nt HD51 to HDMI modulator then to a 6/8 tv booster in loft. Would like to know what connectors i will need to connect all 3.No just the one. It's the one from WOS.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 18:02
Here is what i want to connect. Mut@nt HD51 to HDMI modulator then to a 6/8 tv booster in loft. Would like to know what connectors i will need to connect all 3. Av out on Mut@nt to rf input on modulator is the cable i can't find and what do i connect HDMI too.

abu baniaz
21-05-17, 18:11
Did you not get the AV out cable with the Mutant? Looks like a headphone end on one side. Not the best picture though.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 18:21
Did you not get the AV out cable with the Mutant? Looks like a headphone end on one side. Not the best picture though. No just supplied with HDMI cable from WOS.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 18:29
Av out on Mut@nt to rf input on modulator is the cable i can't find and what do i connect HDMI too. This is the only cable i can find with a av 3.5 jack to rca male or female connectors. Need av 3.5 jack into modulator f plug i may be wrong ???

abu baniaz
21-05-17, 18:41
Do you have an existing modulator?

Joe_90
21-05-17, 18:49
You're misunderstanding the purpose of the HDMI modulator. It takes a HDMI feed from the STB (in your case the HD51) and distributes it to other TVs via a coax connection. The AV plug in your last post may work into a conventional SCART/AV modulator but not into this particular one. The F sockets on the modulator are for a terrestrial aerial feed input and the output to whatever TVs you are feeding. A separate cheap STB with no tuners could take a stream from your main HD51 over CAT 5 cable or possibly WiFi if your router supports it. This would be more flexible than the HDMI modulator which limits you to viewing whatever is tuned on the HD51.

As regards the AV port on the HD51, I've never seen it referenced in the ViX setup. I don't know if it works on a ViX image as I've never tried it. It's a bit redundant on a HD/UHD receiver as composite AV is very low quality. That said, my other two receivers (GB Quad+ and MB Twin) support simultaneous output from HDMI/Component and Composite or SCART.

The F sockets on the modulator are for RF (radio frequency) signals. AV feeds are baseband analogue and are not RF, so no chance of feeding them into those F sockets.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 18:51
Do you have an existing modulator? yes a analogue one which works ok with my Vu+Duo2 which has a scart connection. Have 1 spare with rca and rf going to my 8 way tv booster.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 19:11
yes a analogue one which works ok with my Vu+Duo2 which has a scart connection. Have 1 spare with rca and rf going to my 8 way tv booster. So is there no way i can use my Mut@nt HD51 like my Vu+Duo2 to distribute satellite tv to my 8 way booster in loft using any analogue or digital device.

abu baniaz
21-05-17, 19:12
yes there is. you posted a picture of wires already for the analogue signal.

if you want to use hdmi modulator, you will get better picture. costs more.

abu baniaz
21-05-17, 19:20
Take a picture of the back of your duo2 showing wires to modulator and attach it.

Draw a diagram of how you have connected Duo2 to modulator, then distribution system. Attach it too.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 19:46
Take a picture of the back of your duo2 showing wires to modulator and attach it.

Draw a diagram of how you have connected Duo2 to modulator, then distribution system. Attach it too. The best i can do at moment is with this photo. Shows sky box connected to modulator then to amp the only difference i am using a 8 way tv booster as splitter and no tv eye remotes. Av out on Mut@nt needs to connect to modulator but can't find a HDMI modulator with the right connections from Mut@nt.

abu baniaz
21-05-17, 20:27
Using analogue: (No need for people to say it is poor.)

Connect the AV out wire to the HD51. You will now have three phono outputs

Video: Yellow phono wire to modulator. (Composite video signal out of HD51 > In to modulator)

Audio: Red and white phono wires to modulator.
Your modulator (pictured) does not have the phono audio connectors. So you will have to use a phono to 3.5mm wire.

From modulator, the rest is the same as you have now.

So in essence, where in the diagram it says I/O lead. You have three.
The AV adapter to plugin into HD51
Yellow Video composite wire
The Audio wire.

Emulated
21-05-17, 20:44
What I love about this topic is despite not having a clue what the different names mean, even if I Google them i have forgotten by the time i go back to reading the topic. What is really nice is it says in simple terms, connect A to B and colour red here with bright blue in there. Hey Presto! It makes life so much more pleasant for us brain diminished oldies.

Blu-ray
21-05-17, 20:46
What I love about this topic is despite not having a clue what the different names mean, even if I Google them i have forgotten by the time i go back to reading the topic. What is really nice is it says in simple terms, connect A to B and colour red here with bright blue in there. Hey Presto! It makes life so much more pleasant for us brain diminished oldies. Ya it's not like going to Speksavers and getting a new pair of glasses lol.

Andy_Hazza
21-05-17, 20:57
The Edison HDMI Modulator, you would use an HDMI powered Switch (Not An HDMI Splitter).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveC1000
08-06-17, 22:53
Hi, did you ever get this working? I have an 3.5mm jack cable with 3 phonos on the other end - red and white for audio, yellow for composite video that I've plugged in the HD51 AV port. I want to drive an old Slingbox via composite video and I'm getting stereo audio but no video - I've tried to connect to the similar AV ports on my TV and same story. I'm running OpenATV and the only video options I have are for HDMI or SCART - even though the HD51 doesn't have a SCART socket. I've tried this setting and choosing CVBS but still no video output! Any idea what settings need to be used to enable the video out?

abu baniaz
09-06-17, 00:14
Is this cable the one that came with the receiver?

DaveC1000
09-06-17, 21:26
There was no AV cable supplied, only an HDMI cable!

abu baniaz
09-06-17, 21:47
Can you check manual for specs and compare with your cable.

DaveC1000
10-06-17, 21:19
The manual has no specs for the AV port. I logged a support request on the Mutant web site on Friday but no response so far!

edmundf
04-12-17, 17:52
Hi, did you ever get this working? I have an 3.5mm jack cable with 3 phonos on the other end - red and white for audio, yellow for composite video that I've plugged in the HD51 AV port. I want to drive an old Slingbox via composite video and I'm getting stereo audio but no video - I've tried to connect to the similar AV ports on my TV and same story. I'm running OpenATV and the only video options I have are for HDMI or SCART - even though the HD51 doesn't have a SCART socket. I've tried this setting and choosing CVBS but still no video output! Any idea what settings need to be used to enable the video out?

Hi I just bought a Muntant HD51, works well but I need ANALOG audio out for my high quality audio amplifier.
What kind of signal is coming from those red and white phonos ( cinch ) plugs?
I get NO sound from it!

cactikid
04-12-17, 21:23
how about a spdif/optical cable from tv to amp or from box to input of amp?

adm
04-12-17, 22:28

Could it be because there is more than one standard for a 4 terminal 3.5mm jack plug to phono outputs? Does the handbook for the HD51 actually detail the functionality of the 4 connections on the jack socket?

For instance the plug may be connected in any of these ways

https://img.rcgroups.com/http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archives/images/av-pinouts-zune.jpg?h=ImVSCMTxL0COcvpmni9m3w

or perhaps completely different for your particuar box

edmundf
05-12-17, 00:04
how about a spdif/optical cable from tv to amp or from box to input of amp?

Of course that is what I will do if the A/V plug turns out to be digital, which seems very weird to me BTW.
I like to know what kind of connection it actually is and it would be very inconvenient to wire from the box to the TV and wire back from TV to my amplifier. That would also require the TV to be ON when I want to listen to a radio channel...
I hate these foolish companies who save 30 cents and force clients to pay an extra 50 Euro to get it working again.

edmundf
05-12-17, 00:11
Thanks for this picture I never knew there where different pinouts.

edmundf
09-12-17, 18:11
It is indeed a silly pinout problem.
Solved now, Thanks for the tip.

twol
09-12-17, 19:23
It is indeed a silly pinout problem.
Solved now, Thanks for the tip.

For other people please explain!

abu baniaz
10-12-17, 01:05

This is the picture in the link. Maybe someone can confirm what is what for the hd51

adm
10-12-17, 10:48

This is the picture in the link. Maybe someone can confirm what is what for the hd51

The other issue for others is that edmundf only required audio from the jack socket and not video. In other posts – not necessarily about the same box – forum members have reported that they can get audio but no video.

As the manufactures are reluctant to provide any details about these 4 terminal 3.5mm jack outputs perhaps:
i) There is no composite video output (only audio)
ii) It's upside down with respect to normal convention (sync = higher volts, "white" = lower volts)
iii) There are no sync pulses on the video - hence unusable in normal equipment.

In the absence of manufactures information and/or the absence of confirmation from someone who has a working system it probably needs someone with the relevant box, an un-populated 4 terminal jack plug and an oscilloscope to establish what is actually on each terminal.

edmundf
10-12-17, 15:22
It's none of the above. It is :
1 Ground
2 Right ( or left )
3 Left ( or right )
4 Must be Video but I did not check it.