PDA

View Full Version : First Challenges

JimEvo2
16-05-10, 21:15
I am totally new to all this satellite stuff, so thanks to all for the information I have gleaned from this site up to now. I have built a few pc's and changed operating systems so I thought it was about time I had a play with one of these boxes next. I was going to buy a dreambox until I heard that the dreambox 800 is being updated and there is a new 7025 HD box coming out too. This only left the DM 8000 which costs too much for me to justify buying it as a first receiver.

The vu+ duo seems to do everything I want with plenty of extras as I learn the ropes with this box.

I had no problems setting up the box with the initial installed image and just robbed one of the sky+ feeds so I could try out the freesat channels.

The board is rev 2.3 with a white remote just in case anyones interested.

Anyhow after trying the original image pre-installed on the box I had to try out another image and went with the openpli image for newbies (Thanks Sicilian :cool:). It has to be one of the easiest things to do, far easier than resetting a frozen sky box :mad:.

Why do sky boxes take so long to reboot compared to this box anyway ?

After success with this box I had to try the dream elite image and this is where the fun started. The downloaded file (DreamEliteBH_VUDUO_132_USB) when opened up didn't have the correct extension, however I downloaded it from the dream elite site and this had the 3 files in it.
I have since found the problem in that the zip file is inside another zip file but the file needs renaming with a .zip extension :confused:

Anyhow the dream elite image is now on the box and it has some great features but I do prefer some features of the openpli image. The best feature about the openpli was I could find channel numbers easily, but not with the dream elite one. I'll have to play around with this and give it a more sky feel.

The next thing to do was link it up to my network which was a doddle with the dream elite image and I now have dreamboxedit to play with. I have found it connects to the box but the /var/tuxbox/config/engma/ path seems to be wrong :confused: .

I'll keep trying and I'm sure I'll find the correct folders soon. :confused:.

Sicilian
16-05-10, 21:22
Great post there Jim, looks like your getting on really well :)

Regarding dreamboxedit, have a read through this thread http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?562-Satellite-List . Pay particular attention to post no.11 ;)

I'll try to get a step by step guide up for dreamboxedit in the next day or so.

micscave
16-05-10, 21:37
Hey JimEvo2.
I wished I had known that about the file extension on the downloaded image, it could have turned my first flash time down to 10 hours rather than the 14 hours. Nevermind you live & learn.

Definately try what sic has just said about post 11 in that thread, thats wot sorted me. It could have cut my first FTP experiance down to 20 mins rather than the 4 1/2 hours if I'd known all that.

JimEvo2
16-05-10, 21:38
Thanks Sicilian, I'm glad I found this forum, and google is my friend as well, these satellite guys seem happy to share their knowledge.

I am just about getting to grips with dreambox edit now.

On the options page I have left the username as root and password as " " (blank)
Test IP and Test password both clear Ok

On another forum I found the advice to click on the button on the bottom right corner "New enigma2 settings"
this changes the paths to /etc/enigma2/ for the botht he service bouqeuts and user bouquets
and the file for satellites .xml should be /etc/tuxbox/ then everything seems to work :confused:.

I'll try some more out tomorrow !

Sicilian
16-05-10, 21:44
Both 'New Enigma2 settings' and 'Version 3 settings (Enigma2)' should work fine.