PDA

View Full Version : Stream movies from pc to VU+ DUO?

ttt1892
16-05-10, 19:23
I have tried all sorts of methods to stream movies from my pc to VU+ DUO.None do the trick.Does anyone have a syre fire way of getting this to work?I would love to be able to watch avi files,but that is not important at this stage.I would just love to be able to stream.I can stream from my VU+ to my pc no problem.

Thanx.
ttt.

Sicilian
16-05-10, 20:52
First what image do you have installed? Also the avi files you want to play are they divx/xvid? Would you like to play mkv's also?

Monty
16-05-10, 20:57
I simply go to setup, system, network, and run network browser.
I then browse my PC for my media loaction and mount it.
Exit then hit menu, media player and select the mount that now shows up in media player.
Play anything that's shared :D

ttt1892
16-05-10, 21:24
Exit then hit menu, media player and select the mount that now shows up in media player.

I`ve tried that.Only the IP of my VU+ shows.I`ve manually added my PC IP in the expert settings mode.But then my VU+ just hangs.

I`m using Dream-Elit BH.

ttt.

Sicilian
16-05-10, 21:29
Are you using the latest 1.3.2 image?

I'll get some screenshots of the correct settings tomorrow night.

ttt1892
16-05-10, 21:33
No,I`m using older usb version. I was thinking of going the multiboot method so I could use the latest version,but I`m scared I`ll do something wrong.

ttt.

Sicilian
16-05-10, 21:38
Save all your settings/bouquets with dreamboxedit and save your cccam.cfg if you have one. Then re-flash using the latest Dream Elite 1.3.2 from here http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?400-Dream-Elite-Vu-Duo-BH-1.3.2-Multiboot

Flash the image to the flash, dont bother with multi-boot atm.

The 1.3.2 versions plays mkv's, perfect and it also plays most dvd iso files. Divx & xvids sometime play stretch and not at the correct resolution. 1080mkv's play spot on though from a mount network folder :)

ttt1892
17-05-10, 16:46
I forgot to add.I can play MKV files no problem.But I would rather stream movies(avi) from my pc.I have to convert avi to mkv before I ftp the movie to my VU+ hard drive.Most of the time the conversion takes between 2 and 3 hours,so I`d rather stream.

ttt.

ttt1892
17-05-10, 17:30
I think I have broken my VU. I`ve tried to flash a nifi image, and all I get when it starts to flash is a popup error message "tftp error" or something similar.Now I can`t do anything with the box.

ttt.

Sicilian
17-05-10, 18:40
I think I have broken my VU. I`ve tried to flash a nifi image, and all I get when it starts to flash is a popup error message "tftp error" or something similar.Now I can`t do anything with the box.

ttt.

Sound like an IP error in the VuUtility. Check the IP settings. Have you tried flashing via usb again?

If your still having issue with flashing start another topic as this will be going off topic.

ttt1892
17-05-10, 18:45
I got it back to life using usb stick. I`m gonna leave it alone before I do some serious damage to it.

ttt.

Sicilian
17-05-10, 20:37
I got it back to life using usb stick. I`m gonna leave it alone before I do some serious damage to it.

ttt.

What image is on your receiver now? Are you able to mount a share from your PC? I've tested playing back divx/xvid, they dont really play correctly in the media player. If your downloading avi's to watch on your Duo I'd consider grabbing 1080 mkv's instead a the quality is loads better.

ttt1892
17-05-10, 21:32
I`m using the old usb dream elite Bh I was using before.I haven`t bothered trying to mount a share from my pc because every other attempt I made,the box just hangs.I just wanted to watch movies I had on my PC without having to encode them.
Thanx for all your help and patience Sic,but I`ve given up.I tried this with my Dreambox 7025 and never got it to work.All in all I`ve been trying for about 6 months without any joy.

ttt.

Sicilian
18-05-10, 05:15
Dont be afraid to flash images to your Duo m8. If I was you I'd flash with the latest Dream Elite 1.3.2 http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?400-Dream-Elite-Vu-Duo-BH-1.3.2-Multiboot Just because it says multiboot it dont work any different to the other Dream Elite images. It just means that meoboot is pre-installed. At least the DVD player, media player and drivers are updated. If you flash with this image we'll get a shared folder mounted from your pc :) There are ways of streaming, but we need to get a mounted pc folder first.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 16:51
Do the multiboot images have to be flashed using serial cable and lan cable? Or can I flash them using the usb stick? I tried yesterday to flash using the cables,but I got a "tftp error" "cannot connect" when it started to flash.At the moment I`m stuck with the old Dream-Elite BH usb image,which is great,but as you say the drivers are old.

ttt.

Sicilian
18-05-10, 16:52
Just flash using the USB method ;)

grtmoby
18-05-10, 16:54
if u mean the latest DE multiboot image then, as sic said, u can flash it using the usb as u'd do with any other image.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 17:10
So I could have had the latest image in flash:(. I thought for the images with multiboot in their name meant they had to be flashed with the cables method.Not to worry you learn something new everyday:D.I will now flash the latest Dream image.

Back in a bit..........:cool:

ttt.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 17:37
Ok guys,I now have the Dream-Elite image Sic recommended in the flash.Now to the next stage...........

ttt.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 18:13
I`ve tried to mount my pc in the network setup.The box just hangs. By the way my setup is wireless between VU+ and pc,does this matter?I had my DB 7025 hard wired to my pc and that still didn`t work.Funny thing did happen, when I went into the network browser,my VU+ Ip showed up and so did the IP of another PC.I`m assuming it was either my wife`s PC or my daughter`s laptop as they are both connected to my network wirelessly.But why doesn`t my PC Ip show up?

ttt.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 18:31
I`ve established the PC IP showing in network browser is my daughter`s laptop.So I created a folder on it and allowed it to be shared.But when I try to expand the IP in network browser nothing shows up.

ttt.

Monty
18-05-10, 18:41
It should just be a case of enabling file and printer sharing on your PC, and sharing and folders or location you wish

ttt1892
18-05-10, 18:47
Did that,nothing showing.

Thanx.
ttt.

Monty
18-05-10, 18:56
OK, if you explore local network on PC, can you see the PC name there, or any others?

ttt1892
18-05-10, 18:56
As I`ve said before.I can`t help thinking there is something I haven`t done at my computer which is the problem.Can someone give me a step by step idiots:D guide to what I should do at my pc?

Thanx.
ttt.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 18:57
Where do I look Monty?

ttt.

Monty
18-05-10, 19:00
I'm running Vista ATM.
I had to enable network discovery.
Once I have enabled the PC to join the network I use simple setting.
My network is called WORKGROUP, I sleceted partition H, enabled sharing of that partition and that was it.
What operating system are you running?

ttt1892
18-05-10, 19:18
XP

ttt.

Monty
18-05-10, 19:26
OK, if you have already enable file and printer sharing.
Here's my way of doing it.
Right click on "my computer" either icon on desktop or from the start menu, left click on explore.
Down the left pane of the explorer window we got desktop, and all drives and partitions on the pc.
Near bottom you see my network places , expand it by clicking the wee box to the left with the + in it.
When expanded you should see all hardware on the network.

Monty
18-05-10, 19:31
Here hopefully you can see what I mean.
The Pic shows the network viewed from my CCTV PC.
You won't see my VU+ in the list because I don't have 1 at the mo :( but you can see another PC, and my popcorn hour all on the same network.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 19:34
All that shows is Entire Network. When I expand that I get Microsoft Windows Network. Mshome then shows in the left hand pane. When I click on that I get an error message saying I do not have permission to open it.

ttt.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 19:36
Looks like I`m not setup correctly judging by your screenshot.

ttt.

Monty
18-05-10, 19:39
Yup, looks like windows settings need work.
It's so simple, just like me :)
run the network wizard and see how you get on.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 20:04
I`ve ran the network wizard,still get the same error message about not having permissions.My pc is connected to a router.Do you know what options I should be choosing in the wizard? Also at the end of the wizard it says something about using a disc on all the computers on my network.

ttt.

Monty
18-05-10, 20:30
Are you logged in as administrator, does your user account have administrative priveleges?

grtmoby
18-05-10, 20:30
ttt try to come to SB, easier to talk and try together

ttt1892
18-05-10, 20:36
Are you logged in as administrator, does your user account have administrative privelages?

I`m the only user of this pc.

What`s SB?
The more answers I get the more questions I have.http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Party/party0039.gif (http://www.smileys.me.uk/smileys/Party/)

ttt.

Sicilian
18-05-10, 20:39
He means the shoutbox, but tbh the shoutbox is really from general chat only, because if a solution is found in the shoutbox, others members dont benefit. So if you guys do find a solution in the shoutbox please make sure its posted in here for other members :)

In the meantime I need to re-cap on this thread, been busy :)

grtmoby
18-05-10, 20:42
will do master but direct talk will be faster and more helpful ;)

Monty
18-05-10, 20:46
let's see if I can run through the setup on my XP machine to refresh my ageing memory;)

Monty
18-05-10, 21:08
OK, I'm back.
Let's deal with network wizard first.
My user account has full administative priveleges.
Go to control panel and launch "network setup wizard".
See the steps documented in the pics below.

Monty
18-05-10, 21:20
After clicking next in pic 11, you will see the finish button, just click that and the wizard is complete.

The last 2 pics show that as soon as I have finished the wizard, I click on "my network places" and on the right, you will see what is available, and what can be seen when I expand the network.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 21:28
Workgroup shows when I expand Microsoft Windows Network.When I try to expand WORKGROUP, I get the error message about admin. I am the admin,there is no other user account on my pc.

I`m getting a headache now.

ttt.

Monty
18-05-10, 21:32
In windows explorer I right click on drive C, left click on sharing and security.
Click on the bit "if you unerstand the risk, bla bla"
Click on share this folder on the netwrok, then click apply.
So if you apply these settings to whatever drive or folder you wish to share, it should then be visible on your network.

Monty
18-05-10, 21:33
Can you just confirm that your account in control panel/user accounts, is defo admin account?

grtmoby
18-05-10, 21:35
another suggestion:

try to login to windows as "administrator" and test if things work or not. are you using vista or 7 as they r bit different than xp

ttt1892
18-05-10, 21:37
Still get the admin error when I try to expand WORKGROUP.

ttt.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 21:39
another suggestion:

try to login to windows as "administrator" and test if things work or not. are you using vista or 7 as they r bit different than xp

Using XP.There is only one user account on this PC,so I must be logged in as admin,surely?
ttt.

Monty
18-05-10, 21:41
There might only be 1 visible user account but in safe mode, I bet it would offer you the choice of logging in as your account or administrator.
I'm not saying you're wrong, we just need to eliminate all possibilities.

grtmoby
18-05-10, 21:43
Using XP.There is only one user account on this PC,so I must be logged in as admin,surely?
ttt.

not really.
goto control panel>user accounts> is it written under your name "computer administrator." if not, click on the name and choose "change my account type" and then "computer administrator"

ttt1892
18-05-10, 21:45
In user accounts it says I am the computer administrator.I`ll restart my PC in safe mode just to check.

ttt.

ttt1892
18-05-10, 21:55
Tried safe mode. There were 3 accounts mine, which says I`m the computer administrator password protected.Another simply called Administrator and a guest account which I have disabled.I tried to delete the Administrator account(not mine) but there was no option for this.

ttt.

grtmoby
18-05-10, 21:58
you can't delete the admin account. this was the one i wanted to use and check.

what about creating a new user account that has admin privileges and make sure if it ask to protect the files you choose no.

we shall use this account to test with it and if possible can you give us a screen shot of the services page (just the disabled ones only is enough)

ttt1892
18-05-10, 22:03
Ok guys.I really appreciate all you have done. I`m starting to get annoyed at the damn thing.So I think it best I go to bed before I fling it out the window. As I`ve said before,I`ve been trying this for 6 months and got nowhere.Got work tomorrow,so I`m off before I blow a fuse.

Thanx again guys,you are diamonds.

ttt.

grtmoby
18-05-10, 22:05
welcome ttt anytime.

let's try tomorrow and i feel we'll solve it, nothing is impossible m8 ;)

Monty
18-05-10, 22:07
OK ttt, sometimes it's better to leave it, and do it again sometime with a clear head.
Get a good kip, and don't have nightmares about networks :D

Sicilian
19-05-10, 05:55
Time for The Boss to have a go :p, try this: -

Create a new user account on your XP pc with these details as administrator: -

User = VUDuo
Pass = VUDuo

Create a shared folder in the root of C: drive called: -

Right click on the folder, then click on sharing tab. Check the box that says Share this folder on the network and allow network users to change my files. Click apply and ok.

Now over to the VU+ Duo.

Press blue button, then blue button again for extra settings.

Select Black Hole Mount Wizard.

Press Green button for Wizard Cifs.

Red button to Continue>

Set the ip of your XP PC.
Set username as VUDuo
Set password as VUDuo

Make sure you use uppercase letters in the username and password fields where needed.

Leave every thing else as default.

Click red to save and follow through last of screens, self explanatory. Will tell you at the end if theres an error.

To test place a jpeg picture in the share folder on the XP PC.

Press Green buttons for addons, select picture player and select network mount, you should see the jpeg in there an be able to view on your TV.

Out of interest, have you got any firewalls running on the XP PC apart from the standard windows firewall?

Monty
19-05-10, 15:05
I was concentrating on PC settings as it seemed it was not configured properly, and couldn't even access network.
Looking forward to the next round :D

ttt1892
19-05-10, 17:38
Ok guys I`M BAAAAACK!! I`ve just gone through Sic`s settings and my box is currently hanging.But I realised I hadn`t changed the IP of my pc,it`s not the default one in the mount wizard.Just waiting for the VU to come to life again.Then I will try those settings again.

ttt.

ttt1892
19-05-10, 17:40
Windows firewall is disabled, I am using Eset Smart Security.

ttt.

ttt1892
19-05-10, 17:45
Changed IP,box still hangs.I agree with Monty.It`s something to do with my pc config.

ttt.

bobonthejob
19-05-10, 17:47
Are you working now?

ttt1892
19-05-10, 17:52
No

ttt.

grtmoby
19-05-10, 18:06
can you exit your security program and try without it running
do this on all computers if a security program or firewall is there

ttt1892
19-05-10, 18:07
I will have a go.

ttt.

ttt1892
19-05-10, 18:19
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!! I see the picture!!!!!!! I disabled the Eset firewall and now I see pictures. Now to see if I can stream a movie.

ttt.

grtmoby
19-05-10, 18:21
yuppieeeeeeeeeeeee
i did it i did it :D

what you need to do now is to configure the eset firewall for port forwarding between ur vu and pc

ttt1892
19-05-10, 18:25
I can also see avi movie,although quality is poor as Sic said.Who cares? That can be sorted later.
Thank you guys, 6 months it has taken me and you guys did it!!!
Now it`s time for a donation to the site.

Thankyou.Thankyou.
ttt.

grtmoby
19-05-10, 18:27
been a pleasure helping you ttt1892.

ttt1892
19-05-10, 18:28
yuppieeeeeeeeeeeee
i did it i did it :D

what you need to do now is to configure the eset firewall for port forwarding between ur vu and pc

You know I`m gonna ask a question..........How do I do this? Do I have to forward a port to my router>

ttt

grtmoby
19-05-10, 18:38
lol

yeah. u have to forward the port from your router and on ur security program firewall as well. both must be done so it works

other option is to exit ur security program whenever u wanna stream (don't like this one but it is all urs)

do u need help with port forwarding

ttt1892
19-05-10, 18:44
I know how to port forward, but I don`t understand how I`m already streaming if I haven`t configured a port yet.I`ve also switched back to my user account and it`s still streaming from the share folder I created on the new user account Sic advised me to create.What port would I need to forward? At the moment I have configured Eset Security Firewall to allow file sharing on my network.Is this ok?

ttt.

grtmoby
19-05-10, 18:47
yeah this is ok and u r all set

u'd only need port forward if logging in externally (which i don't think u'll do or use)

ttt1892
19-05-10, 19:00
Thanx m8 and everyone else who helped. Now to find which is the best format to watch movies in,avi is terrible.Pity,I was hoping to watch movies without doing any encoding.

ttt.
PS. i`ve just made a donation.I`m well chuffed I`m sorted.

grtmoby
19-05-10, 19:03
"CASE CLOSED"

:cool: Boss

Sicilian
19-05-10, 19:16
Glad your sorted ttt1892 :) Lucky I got you guys thinking about the firewall :D http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?566-Stream-movies-from-pc-to-VU-DUO&p=2724&viewfull=1#post2724

Out of interest, have you got any firewalls running on the XP PC apart from the standard windows firewall?

grtmoby
19-05-10, 19:29
sure thing i am a good fellow :D

malsat
19-05-10, 21:19
Hi
I am on vista but cant seem to get network and stream set up,can you explain how its done with vista ?
thanks

Sicilian
20-05-10, 05:04
Hi
I am on vista but cant seem to get network and stream set up,can you explain how its done with vista ?
thanks

Enable file and printer sharing in Vista, then follow this: -

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?566-Stream-movies-from-pc-to-VU-DUO&p=2724&viewfull=1#post2724

cypchris
20-05-10, 13:44
SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!! I see the picture!!!!!!! I disabled the Eset firewall and now I see pictures. Now to see if I can stream a movie.

ttt.

i had a similar problem when i was trying to share files to my ps3 with to my pc with eset i found a guide to acivate bits and peaces in the settings

http://www.igoy.in/ps3-media-sharing-eset-smart-security-problem-solution/

sivhead
26-05-10, 18:13
Its great that you got it to stream by disabling the firewall. But disabling the firewall is not the answer also. Its just a workaround. Configuring port forwarding is not needed as this only needed if you wanted to access your VUplus box from outside of the internet. I personally would
1) disable the file
2) start streaming from your PC to your V+ duo
3) Click start run and type cmd to bring up a command prompt.
4) in the dos box type netstat
5) this will show you all the connections to you pc and all ports in which they are using. If you look for the ip address of your V+ duo and note down all the ports
6) Enable your firewall (the streaming will stop)
7) Enable the ports from your firewall software
8) Restart your firewall and re-stream.....

goodluck

P.S Firewalls and AV are no longer a nice to have they are a must....
Ta Sivhead

specialized
01-06-10, 09:00
im a bit in the same boat i use the PLI image and when i browse the folder for a WMV file 1080 my vu+ duo it doesnt see it .does the vu+ see/play a WMV file ?.

Sicilian
01-06-10, 09:14
im a bit in the same boat i use the PLI image and when i browse the folder for a WMV file 1080 my vu+ duo it doesnt see it .does the vu+ see/play a WMV file ?.

The only video media files I've found that play well are mkv's through media player.

specialized
01-06-10, 10:49
do you find it better or the same streaming or copying it to the vu+ HD ?.

Sicilian
01-06-10, 10:51
do you find it better or the same streaming or copying it to the vu+ HD ?.

My PC is hard wired to the Duo so about the same really.

hansolo
07-08-10, 11:46
Hello Sicilian,

I've got a new VU+ Duo with latest Dream Elite (1.3.3.F) firmware. I cannot play ANY movie format , be it .mkv, divx etc. Apart from that, Dream Elite is very nice. Do you think I should change to VTi or PLi, cause I need my box to be a media player as well.

ttt1892
07-08-10, 11:50
Are the movie files you are trying to play, showing on your VU? Are you trying to stream from your PC or are you putting the files on your VU hard drive then trying to play them?

ttt.

hansolo
07-08-10, 11:55
All of them are on the VU hard drive. I copied them across the lan OK, but when I try to play them, nothing happens...

ttt1892
07-08-10, 12:13
So you can see them on your VU Hard drive? Are you using Media Center to play them? Also sometimes I have to reboot my VU after I have put the movie file onto my Vu hard drive to get them to work.

ttt.

hansolo
07-08-10, 16:04
So you can see them on your VU Hard drive? Are you using Media Center to play them? Also sometimes I have to reboot my VU after I have put the movie file onto my Vu hard drive to get them to work.

ttt.
Yes, I can see them OK but when I try to play them back nothing happens. I tried rebooting the box but to no different outcome.

ttt1892
07-08-10, 16:42
Try recording a programme straight from your tv and see if that plays ok.

ttt.

hansolo
07-08-10, 17:27
Yes, it does. It plays absolutely fine.

parkher
29-08-10, 23:21
Now I also tried playing movies from my PC (Windows XP) on Duo.
Everything seems to be working fine, so far I tried several x264/mkv and XviD/avi.
Jumping forward/backward with 1-3, 4-6, 7-9 works fine, except some times there is no sound after using 3, but ok with 6, 9.
(I am using PLi for newbies updated yesterday from Duo, so probably pretty new image with new kernel and new drivers etc.)

To do this, I did the following:

1) added "File and printer sharing" - not sure if it was needed or not
2) switched on "simple file sharing" - in Explorer: Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Use simple file sharing: CHECK.
3) on a folder with movies I wanted to share, also in Explorer - select, right click -> Sharing and Security... -> Sharing TAB -> Network sharing and security > Share this folder on the network: CHECK, enter some share name; Allow network users to change my files: CHECK (perhaps not necessary)
4) in ESET Smart Security firewall: added the IP address of Duo to Trusted Zone.
5) in Duo - Menu->Setup->System-Network->NetworkBrowser->Rescan (yellow): my computer shows up (IMPORTANT - firewall must allow it, see 4, otherwise the computer does not show up)
went inside, selected my newly created share (in 3), configured user/password (in my case: user, but no password, the same as for logging onto PC)
Mounted. IMPORTANT: Duo does not report mounting errors, perhaps possible to do/see it via telnet. If usr/password is wrong, it will still say ok, but then the share will not show up in Media Player.
With correct user/password, the share shows up in Media Player.
6) Go to Media player, the share shows up - play it.

HOWEVER, as a newbie, I really don' know how to control Media Player, specifically, it seems that files from the network drive (or from anything?) are dropped down into the lower pane which seems to be some sort of a playlist.
The same file may appear there multiple times, and perhaps different positions in it may be remembered for further watching.

My question is this: how to remove items from this "playlist" (the lower pane in the Media Player)?

samad
23-09-10, 06:28
I am using VIX IMage, in network setup i dont see the "network browser" , where is it?

bouncy
18-02-11, 21:54

Hi i've mounted a folder on my HP MediaSmart Server following your instructions but the folder doesn't show up in my media player? just the harddisk, flash memory and USB Stick that's in the VU+ Duo already. Any Ideas?