PDA

View Full Version : [TM-NANO-SE-COMBO] Interface - the future

mo-uk
17-04-17, 21:18
Not a support question - more a suggestion.

The way most PVRs are going seems to be that they do 3 functions
- live TV
- on demand
- media player (from network or USB/Hard drive

The Humax 1100S is a good example of this.

My Enigma2 box with Openvix is much better as a PVR than the Freesat 1100s and it can also do some of the other stuff - but not quite as user friendly as a ready made package.

I know that most people who can be bothered to use something like Enigma2 are going to be a bit more tech savvy than the average person but of course we want an easy life and in addition family have to use the same box so each of use is paramount.

My question/suggestion is whether Openvix in the future may look integrate on demand and media playback a bit better and possibly have each function selectable from a front page menu.

Andy_Hazza
17-04-17, 21:57
Simple answer my guess is no. If you want simplicity, e2 isn't for you. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
17-04-17, 22:09
You can access your recordings with one button on remote.

The On-demand stuff requires plugins. The authors can code it so that the plugins are on main page. In any case, long press of blue button takes you to plugins.

Some plugins/extensions are available on a normal press of blue button.

mo-uk
18-04-17, 00:11
It is still not anywhere near as easy to use or access though.

As mentioned, I can spend all day faffing about going through complex menus but its more for other users. I don't think the fact that users are tech savvy is really a reason not to make it easier. The fact that a huge number of people use skins and mods to try and replicate Sky and VM boxes is proof of that.

ronand
18-04-17, 00:20
No-one gets paid to do this. I would imagine the people that make the boxes/software for sky have a full-time development team. I've never understood why anyone would want to make a decent receiver look like a sky box

abu baniaz
18-04-17, 00:58
There are things that are tied in to other stuff so cant get changed. For the rest, ideally it should be simple easy and intuitive so that a seven year old can use it.

You have to bear in mind that the official receivers have customer experience teams with huge budgets. They design what they want and the people paid to implement the software changes crack on. They all have the same type/similar remotes so can do same things. You get different remotes across the receivers, even among the same model.

With regards to the Media Player......
I can't imagine anything easier than pressing a button to access all your recordings/media player though. If you don;'t know this, have a look at the receiver manual or ask. It is normally the media, list, recordings button. Plug a USB stick with movies/recordings on, and it asks you if you want to play it. There are plugins to interract with Alexa and other such devices so you can talk to it.

When the ondemand plugin was working, you could access it with the blue button too. Pretty straight forward in my opinion.

Everyone uses their receiver differently. It is not a Sky or Virgin receiver. Don't try and interact with it the same way.

Anyway, the code is open source. Please feel free to contribute any positive changes.

garryboy
18-04-17, 13:34
For on demand I use the thing my box is connected to called the "smart TV"

No need for on demand from my satellite box.

I'd imagine most folk have smart Tvs and if not then your next Tv is most likely to be "smart"

JonMMM
18-04-17, 14:08
For on demand I use the thing my box is connected to called the "smart TV"

No need for on demand from my satellite box.

I'd imagine most folk have smart Tvs and if not then your next Tv is most likely to be "smart"

No Smart TVs, but I do have a Kodi box attached to the TV which can find just about anything