PDA

View Full Version : os mini this is not a genuine stb message

antoh85
16-04-17, 01:32
hi,

i bought a new os mini s2 box and flashed with openvix. it worked fine the evening i flashed it, new skin, softcam the lot not a problem. the next day i was connecting it up to a tri link with magic eye when i got a message on screen saying "this is not a genuine set top box". this stays on the screen until reboot but comes back after 2mins. i tried reflashing but still the same.

as far as i know its a genuine box bought from a legit company. i bought os minis off them in the past and so far iv had no one complain.

have i done something wrong or are these guys just selling bad boxes and is there a way i can fix this.

thanks

judge
16-04-17, 01:51
Where is the message coming from, the STB or the screen/TV?
Any ports open on your router?

antoh85
16-04-17, 02:16
Where is the message coming from, the STB or the screen/TV?
Any ports open on your router?

Hi, thanks for reply.

Message is coming up on tv screen and stops picture and sound, then cannot be removed until box is restarted. No ports open on router but happens weather its connected to net or not.

Stb display shows normal details. If i change channel lcd on box changes but still have message on screen

johnrichard
16-04-17, 02:34
where did you get it from ? regards john

antoh85
16-04-17, 02:57
where did you get it from ? regards john

A company here in ireland called Freetv .ie

Andy_Hazza
16-04-17, 08:32
Are you sure your ports are not open? Try without your ethernet cable & with Wifi disabled. Sounds like you've been hacked to me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antoh85
16-04-17, 12:47
im positive there are no ports open. I sent it up on my own broadband and all was fine. The next day i connected it up for someone who uses the same provider. They only recently got the broadband installed and by default all ports are closed.

The message came up when the box was connected to ethernet cable. I disconnected box from broadband, reset and reflashed box but its still happening.

How could it have been hacked?

twol
16-04-17, 13:10
Somebody had this message last year, cannot remember if it was an open ports issue or they had a "bad" plugin installed.

Ford1
16-04-17, 13:10
You say you disconnectef the Ethernet cable, did you also disable the wifi, the edisons have built in wifi and it may have been connected to the net with this, disable all network and try again, a photo of the message would help, also check if you have any streaming clients connected the box in the information page.

judge
16-04-17, 13:14
Take a pic of the message & upload it.

antoh85
16-04-17, 14:57
Pic added
100% the box is not connected to any source of internet. No ports on router open too.

Possibly a bad plugin but iv used the same plugin on 4 other boxes. Would it make a difference that after i flashed with vix i used a restore from another box. I used the same restore on other boxes and so far they are fine.

john doe
16-04-17, 15:05
flash it with vix and setup from new, no restore from another image

antoh85
16-04-17, 15:09
Iv tried that. Tried with vix and pli. Before i get throught the basic set up after flash the message comes back up on the screen after about 2 mins

john doe
16-04-17, 15:33
Iv tried that. Tried with vix and pli. Before i get throught the basic set up after flash the message comes back up on the screen after about 2 mins

so you are saying that you have tried a full fresh flash without restoring anything? in that case I would speak to the people that sold you the box. this is either to do with ports, in which someone has access to box, or something that the seller has done

Ashley69
16-04-17, 15:34
Got to agree with John Doe. Something dodgy about this box. Would a factory reset help.

antoh85
16-04-17, 15:52
Tried factory reset but does the same. Reflashed with different images with out any restore still the same. I got 2 boxes off supplier the other is fine and i set up the exact same way.

Ill have to get onto supplier on tuesday about it and see what they say but they dont like to help if box was reflashed

john doe
16-04-17, 16:04
Tried factory reset but does the same. Reflashed with different images with out any restore still the same. I got 2 boxes off supplier the other is fine and i set up the exact same way.

Ill have to get onto supplier on tuesday about it and see what they say but they dont like to help if box was reflashed

if they not willing to help, then something weird there. although seen some yout*** videos of them with good advice etc

antoh85
16-04-17, 16:13
I hope not. Iv bought a lot of stuff off them over the past few years and this is the first issue iv had so want to be sure its not something iv done.

Is it possible to flash the os mini by rs232 and do a complete wipe of all os off the box. Possible the hardware may be currupt and a basic flash might not be sorting this

antoh85
16-04-17, 16:26
although seen some yout*** videos of them with good advice etc
They have always been quite helpful in the past and do tell people how to flash the boxes so ill see what they say if i cant get it fixed. Needed it for tomorrow but ill use my own box and hopefully that wont have issues.

Ill be very carefully checking my customers broadband before i connect another box up to it. But coming from an isp backround as standard with the router no ports should be open. the only thing i can think of that caused this is an auto update to the box

john doe
16-04-17, 16:27
flashing through usb should clear it all and put new image on. not sure rs323 flashing

ccs
16-04-17, 16:27
... vix never auto updates.

antoh85
16-04-17, 16:38
What ever is causing this is hard coded into box. Any flash iv done since box has been off line and after 2mins the message is back and im locked out.

If i brick the box can it still be flashed by usb

duoduo
16-04-17, 17:55
The box is doing this due to something the retailer has built in, there is no other reason for it happening if you have done all suggest above if they don't agree to the return there's your confirmation.

antoh85
16-04-17, 18:11
When i first turned on the box vix was on it which i thought was unusual as any other boxes i got had atv on it as atv is default. Still weird how the second box which was the same is working fine.

duoduo
16-04-17, 18:25
I would be surprised if the retailer isn't a member and reading this thread

abu baniaz
16-04-17, 18:39
Where are you downloading your images from?

antoh85
16-04-17, 18:53
I would be surprised if the retailer isn't a member and reading this thread

If they were at least they would be reading this so they could be prepaired when i ring them.

I get my images from openvix. Co.uk, openpli .org or.optna .tv depending on which i want

Ford1
16-04-17, 20:02
please do a full flash with openvix from this site, do not set up any network, either hardwired or wireless, install no skins or plugins, set up tuners, run a abm scan, view fta channels only, ie. BBC ONE. and report back with findings. include any pics of the message displayed.

antoh85
17-04-17, 00:49
please do a full flash with openvix from this site, do not set up any network, either hardwired or wireless, install no skins or plugins, set up tuners, run a abm scan, view fta channels only, ie. BBC ONE. and report back with findings. include any pics of the message displayed.

I downloaded a fresh copy of openvix.
After flashing i go through the setup wizard and before i can even scan for sat i get the message up on the screen and i cant go any further.
Iv done it about 10 times and same result

abu baniaz
17-04-17, 01:06
How are you flashing the image onto receiver?

twol
17-04-17, 06:05
Do you always have the same image on the screen with the message across or does it change with the image flashed??

antoh85
17-04-17, 10:52
How are you flashing the image onto receiver?

I download and extract image on to usb. With box powered off plug usb into box and power box on. When prompted about upgrage i press select and wait for image to load. Box then restarts and i get the setup wizard.

I get the same message but picture in backround depends on image i installed

abu baniaz
17-04-17, 11:25
Might be an idea to speak to retailer when they open.

When you flash an image, everything gets wiped, so your issue must be at boot loader level.

antoh85
17-04-17, 13:36
Might be an idea to speak to retailer when they open.

When you flash an image, everything gets wiped, so your issue must be at boot loader level.

reinstalled the bootloader with fresh image and again same thing.

garryboy
17-04-17, 13:45
Are there clone edision boxes in circulation. I had a google but could not find any

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

antoh85
17-04-17, 14:22
Iv been searching all weekend for a reason behind it and a solution but still no success.

Im back at the house where this all started with another box so hopefully this wont happen again.

silverblack
17-04-17, 14:31
The only other mention i could find was on a German forum,google will translate.

https://www.digital-eliteboard.com/threads/mini-os-clone.410077/

arkles
17-04-17, 18:27
That Irish company you bought from has a very good reputation

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

ronand
17-04-17, 19:18
That Irish company you bought from has a very good reputation

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk

?? Flash a receiver and watch them wash their hands of it.

antoh85
17-04-17, 21:20
The only other mention i could find was on a German forum,google will translate.

https://www.digital-eliteboard.com/threads/mini-os-clone.410077/

unfortunately not any useful information in this. exact same issue. looks like all i can do is hope the supplier will accept return and exchange for another box. other than that id have to get on to edision and see if they can shed some light on the situation

antoh85
18-04-17, 00:17
Just being curious now. I can get into the box my laptop either by ftp or browser. when i log in on my browser and got to box info i get

Box
Brand & Model: Edision OS mini
Chipset: BCM7362
Main Memory: 156248 kB free / 248912 kB total
Box Uptime: 1:16
Software
System OE: OE-Alliance 4.0
Firmware version: OpenViX 5.0.002 (2017-03-08)
Kernel / Drivers: 4.10.0 / 20170220
Tuners
Tuner A Broadcom BCM73XX (DVB-S2)

apart from the firmware version (as iv loaded in new and old versions) can anyone with an os mini confirm if they get the same chipset and system oe

abu baniaz
18-04-17, 00:27
You have been very patient and thorough in your tests. These things happen from time to time. IMO, nothing else you can do. You've done everything you can.

I'm sure your retailer will understand the problem and deal with it appropriately especially as issue is easily reproducable.

antoh85
18-04-17, 00:46
You have been very patient and thorough in your tests. These things happen from time to time. IMO, nothing else you can do. You've done everything you can.

I'm sure your retailer will understand the problem and deal with it appropriately especially as issue is easily reproducable.

ill ring them in the morning and see what they say. ill update on the outcome. thanks everyone for all the help.

antoh85
19-04-17, 21:14
so called supplier today and explained about the box. person on the phone said he heard of this happening before but only when a line has been added to the box. I explained that the box was supplied with the suppliers image on it and I have never put a line in the box. his only suggestion was to email they're support and request the factory image.

emailed support with full details about getting 2 boxes one had suppliers vix image and other had atv. told them that the one with the vix image was unpackaged when i opened it and about the issue. I also asked about swapping the box.

response was "sorry to hear you have had issues with this box please find link to our image here:" (link to image). no answer about swapping the box. downloaded image. same image thats on the website. flashed box. followed instructions on the website to be sure. box came on and once again not a genuine box. so iv emailed them again that it didnt work and asked for a solution.

i did notice yesterday that the serial on the stb does not match the serial on the box

duoduo
20-04-17, 07:13
You need to take up with the retailer buddy, you have consumer rights for an exchange or refund.

gerinemo
01-05-17, 09:27
so called supplier today and explained about the box. person on the phone said he heard of this happening before but only when a line has been added to the box. I explained that the box was supplied with the suppliers image on it and I have never put a line in the box. his only suggestion was to email they're support and request the factory image.

emailed support with full details about getting 2 boxes one had suppliers vix image and other had atv. told them that the one with the vix image was unpackaged when i opened it and about the issue. I also asked about swapping the box.

response was "sorry to hear you have had issues with this box please find link to our image here:" (link to image). no answer about swapping the box. downloaded image. same image thats on the website. flashed box. followed instructions on the website to be sure. box came on and once again not a genuine box. so iv emailed them again that it didnt work and asked for a solution.

i did notice yesterday that the serial on the stb does not match the serial on the box

How did you get on with that box Anto
did they replace it ?
I ask as I have bought from them before but I would not again if I thought they had stiffed you on returning it
thanks

afterburn
01-05-17, 19:20
Strange how there's been no update from the op since april 18th. Free tv are one of the biggest if not the biggest satellite and tv supplies company in Ireland. every box comes with a full warranty , reflashing it does not void the warranty as Free tv already flash them and put their own bootlogo on them. If the serial numbers don't match then an exchange shouldn't even be an issue. In any case let us know what happened.