PDA

View Full Version : Confused: watch 1 program and record another, which box.

avalon65
13-04-17, 20:47
I have had some helpful suggestions on which satellite box to buy for freesat only, and of course to record and watch different channels.
I do have 2 feed ins from my dual LNB satellite dish

I am a little confused by the specs of these boxes, and want to be sure I get the right one:

Xtrend ET7500 HD 2x DVB-S2 Twin tuner Linux Full HD PVR 1080p Digital Satellite Receiver. 2 satellite tuners?

Technomate TM-Nano-SE M2 PLUS Enigma 2 Linux HD PVR TRIPLE TUNER Combo 1x DVB-S/S2 + 2x DVB-C Receiver. 1 satellite tuner plus x2 cable tuners?
I'm not particularly bothered about cable TV, but if it does the job I want it for then it will be fine.

Edision OS MINI 2x DVB-S/S2 Linux Enigma 2 Twin Tuner Digital Satellite Receiver HD 1080p PVR. 2 satellite tuners?

Does either one of those have any advantage of the other 2

Andy_Hazza
13-04-17, 21:00
To give an idea what the tuners relate to within UK if that is what you are going to be using it mostly for. DVB-S Tuner is for Sky/Freesat. DVB-C Tuner is for Cable/Virgin. DVB-T/T2 is for Terrestrial. So for example as you want to use for Freesat, you need a Twin DVB-S tuner to be able to record one channel and watch another. Hope this helps you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avalon65
14-04-17, 09:30
To give an idea what the tuners relate to within UK if that is what you are going to be using it mostly for. DVB-S Tuner is for Sky/Freesat. DVB-C Tuner is for Cable/Virgin. DVB-T/T2 is for Terrestrial. So for example as you want to use for Freesat, you need a Twin DVB-S tuner to be able to record one channel and watch another. Hope this helps you.

Yes it does help, thanks.From the 3 boxes I have listed , only this one is a Twin DVB-S Tuner , which is the one you actually recommended to me in another thread.

Does the Edison Mini I listed have Twin DVB-S Tuner, as it says it has '2 Twin Tuner', or is it completely different from this below.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/xtrend/ET7500-2x-DVB-S2

This then, is the one I will order.

Andy_Hazza
14-04-17, 10:25
Yes it does help, thanks.From the 3 boxes I have listed , only this one is a Twin DVB-S Tuner , which is the one you actually recommended to me in another thread.

Does the Edison Mini I listed have Twin DVB-S Tuner, as it says it has '2 Twin Tuner', or is it completely different from this below.

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/xtrend/ET7500-2x-DVB-S2

This then, is the one I will order.

If you wanted an OS Mini then this is the one you want >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/edision/Edision-os-mini-2x-dvb-s-s2
Personally I don't like receivers that need to run external HDDs but that is just my personal opinion. Oh and the remote can be iffy with this receiver.
All down to what you want to pay really. Personally I would buy the Vu+ Solo2, but thats just me. Any more info you want just shout up. [emoji4]

avalon65
14-04-17, 10:53
If you wanted an OS Mini then this is the one you want >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/edision/Edision-os-mini-2x-dvb-s-s2
Personally I don't like receivers that need to run external HDDs but that is just my personal opinion. Oh and the remote can be iffy with this receiver.
All down to what you want to pay really. Personally I would buy the Vu+ Solo2, but thats just me. Any more info you want just shout up. [emoji4]

No I'm not to keen on having an external hard drive either as it looks messy to me, so I won't bother with the Edison mini.

I have been looking at the VU+ boxes and the only thing that puts me of the Solo2 is the scart socket on the back, which suggests to me that it is an older box. Yes I know there is a HDMI socket as well.

I am leaning towards the Xtrend ET7500 tho'

Andy_Hazza
14-04-17, 10:57
No I'm not to keen on having an external hard drive either as it looks messy to me, so I won't bother with the Edison mini.

I have been looking at the VU+ boxes and the only thing that puts me of the Solo2 is the scart socket on the back, which suggests to me that it is an older box. Yes I know there is a HDMI socket as well.

I am leaning towards the Xtrend ET7500 tho'

No don't let the scart socket on the Vu+ Solo2 put you off. Trust me the Vu+ Solo2 is a fantastic receiver and is the best receiver to get out the two I mentioned. The remote is awesome too and the receiver itself is classy.

avalon65
14-04-17, 11:12
No don't let the scart socket on the Vu+ Solo2 put you off. Trust me the Vu+ Solo2 is a fantastic receiver and is the best receiver to get out the two I mentioned. The remote is awesome too and the receiver itself is classy.

Right, I'm sold on the Solo2 now, you have convinced me. I'll order it after the weekend now.

Thanks

abu baniaz
15-04-17, 10:10
The Solo 2's price has not been affected by market forces. It is overpriced when you take into consideration the alternative.

judge
15-04-17, 10:14
The Solo 2's price has not been affected by market forces. It is overpriced when you take into consideration the alternative.
Its a top quality box with a proven track record tho.

Andy_Hazza
15-04-17, 10:23
I agree with Judge, the Solo2 is a quality receiver. Some of the alternatives are poor quality in comparison Abu.

abu baniaz
15-04-17, 10:34
twin 4k, sf408, HD51 and osmega all poor? Some of which support h265.

if you are determined on a solo2, wait for a second hand one.

Andy_Hazza
15-04-17, 10:37
I know what are quality Abu.

avalon65
15-04-17, 17:17
twin 4k, sf408, HD51 and osmega all poor? Some of which support h265.

if you are determined on a solo2, wait for a second hand one.

What else would you recommend for my needs, and also when and where would be able to buy a 2nd hand Solo 2, which I was going to buy.
Of the recommendations of other users on here, I appreciate them and take time to look and research.

Personally I would rather pay the price for a good quality box than buy a cheap one. I have a decent quality TV and sound system, so there you go.

abu baniaz
15-04-17, 17:43
The other receivers I mentioned are not "cheap". Have a read of other parts of the forum. Personally, I wouldn't buy technology that is several years old when there are newer receivers that are not as highly priced.

Keep your eye out on the classifieds
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?112-Satellite-receivers-For-Sale-Trade-and-Wanted

abu baniaz
15-04-17, 17:52
I thought you are buying the Solo 4k?

avalon65
15-04-17, 18:46
The other receivers I mentioned are not "cheap". Have a read of other parts of the forum. Personally, I wouldn't buy technology that is several years old when there are newer receivers that are not as highly priced.

Keep your eye out on the classifieds
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?112-Satellite-receivers-For-Sale-Trade-and-Wanted

I didn't mean that the ones you mentioned were cheap, but more so as a saying as in not buying cheap stuff. Well I did not so long ago as I bought a Humax satellite box and now regret doing so.

You have now given me some more to look at, so would you personally recommend any of those you listed.

Which twin 4k box are your referring to.

avalon65
15-04-17, 20:07
I didn't mean that the ones you mentioned were cheap, but more so as a saying as in not buying cheap stuff. Well I did not so long ago as I bought a Humax satellite box and now regret doing so.

You have now given me some more to look at, so would you personally recommend any of those you listed.

Which twin 4k box are your referring to.

Also are they all PVR boxes

abu baniaz
15-04-17, 21:39
They are all PVR when a HDD us connected to them or you use a network storage device.

The Technomate Twin 4K, sorry for abbreviation.

avalon65
15-04-17, 23:05
They are all PVR when a HDD us connected to them or you use a network storage device.

The Technomate Twin 4K, sorry for abbreviation.

Is it this one you are referring to: http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Technomate/technomate-tm-twin-4k

Andy_Hazza
16-04-17, 08:13
Yeah it is.