PDA

View Full Version : ViX image manger issue -red cross

john doe
07-04-17, 12:26
I have the latest vix image installed 5.0 009. saved on HDD I have vix images installed 008,007,006 etc. just in case I need to restore an image. other day I had an issue with the receiver and thought i would restore image 008. nothing happened, just a red cross top right of screen, also tried with 007 & 006 and still same.

was wondering if this was a bug? or am I doing something wrong, basically unable to restore image saved on HDD. ive attached a photo.

Sicilian
07-04-17, 12:36
Live flashing of new generation 4K receivers that use EMMC flash is not supported. You'll need to FTP backup image to PC, then flash via USB.

john doe
07-04-17, 12:37
Live flashing of new generation 4K receivers that use EMMC flash is not supported. You'll need to FTP backup image to PC, then flash via USB.

ta mate:thumbsup:

abu baniaz
07-04-17, 16:05
Didn't you ask the same thing in this thread?
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?56239-Unable-to-download-a-image-manager-backup

john doe
07-04-17, 18:05
i did in deed

DaMacFunkin
07-04-17, 18:53
It is a shame you can't choose to save an image back up directly to a fat32 stick, I'm sure blackhole or openbh has this feature.

john doe
07-04-17, 19:03
It is a shame you can't choose to save an image back up directly to a fat32 stick, I'm sure blackhole or openbh has this feature.

totally agree mate. may have to play around with different images and see what come out of it. would hate to leave openvix. best image out there in my opinion, then ATV

twol
07-04-17, 19:25
There is a plugin that does this and is used by most images (apart from ViX) .. just not able to remember the guys name Pedro?? .. but it works well:)
Backs up to HDD and USB.

nsw9154
07-04-17, 20:02
i always Save a Image Backup to USB as well as to the Hard Drive i have done with every receiver i have since my first VU+Solo2 :confused:

53385 53386

john doe
07-04-17, 20:09
i always Save a Image Backup to USB as well as to the Hard Drive i have done with every receiver i have since my first VU+Solo2 :confused:

53385 53386

does usb need to a certain format (e.g Fat32).

twol
07-04-17, 21:03
FAT32 is better, as you can then just move to the correct usb slot for flashing .. I used to backup images to usb but just do settings now, as i always run my own builds and then couch flash.

DaMacFunkin
08-04-17, 05:51

53385 53386

Hi, as Twol mentions to use for flashing the stick needs to be fat32, it seems your stick is mounted which would make it ext3 or 4 and can not be flashed from., the back up would need to be saved in a folder context and not zip format, sorry for the confusion but this is the context i was talking about.
As Joe Strummer said, it doesn't occur to me that people don't always understand what seems obvious to me.

abu baniaz
08-04-17, 06:13
You can mount a non-ext device too. Are you mixing up mounting with initialising?

DaMacFunkin
08-04-17, 06:31
You can mount a non-ext device too. Are you mixing up mounting with initialising?

...But what we are saying is you can't create an image back up directly to a fat32 usb stick in folder format so it can be used to re-flash the device like you can on other images, surely this is the way forward for these 4K devices (even if it sounds like a step backwards).

twol
08-04-17, 09:35
The plugin I was thinking about is Pedro Newbies BackupSuite and it gives you the option of HDD, USB or both

You can create a restorable image backup using ImageManager that can be used to flash from USB.... and you can setup to save to usb.
However, the ImageManager still needs a change for the HD51 as the EMMC disk format and boot files have changed and so I am pretty sure it will not work :)

slacker17
08-04-17, 11:19
It seems a strange decision for Vix to make this change as it now means you need to attach 2 drives to the device, 1 for image back ups and the other for recordings. I don't understand why it is only now it is an issue to flash from ext4 formatted drive when it has worked fine on earlier images. It would also be helpful if error messages explained a problem rather than just have a big red x.

ccs
08-04-17, 11:51
It's not a ViX change, couch flashing simply doesn't work with the latest generation of 4K boxes.

It's nothing to do with "earlier images", they never (should have) worked on 4K boxes.

And, as far as I'm aware, you can't create an image backup directly onto a usb stick anyway.

twol
08-04-17, 12:59
It's not a ViX change, couch flashing simply doesn't work with the latest generation of 4K boxes.

It's nothing to do with "earlier images", they never (should have) worked on 4K boxes.

And, as far as I'm aware, you can't create an image backup directly onto a usb stick anyway.
Wrong. OpenVix doesn't support couch flashing on the Arm receivers ..... other Images do.... and I nearly always couch flash on my Arm receivers (something I must have done over a 100 times without issue, since I had the receivers as I build frequently) ... on the HD51 perfectly safely as it has 4 partitions on the EMMC which can be used to ensure that the "Live" image (if that was an issue), is not over-written.
.. and Yes, you can create an Image backup to USB for the Arm receivers .. it just can take some time with the HD51 because of the potential size of the image

ccs
08-04-17, 13:09
Wrong. OpenVix doesn't support couch flashing on the Arm receivers ..... other Images do.... and I nearly always couch flash on my Arm receivers... on the HD51 perfectly safely as it has 4 partitions on the EMMC which can be used to ensure that the "Live" image (if that was an issue), is not over-written.
.. and Yes, you can create an Image backup to USB for the Arm receivers .. it just can take some time with the HD51 because of the potential size of the imageOnly going by what has been said in other posts, maybe they should have been corrected.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't be supported if it was easy to implement.
Odd that you suggest that overwriting the live image might be an issue.

I must have misunderstood what this says.

twol
08-04-17, 13:59
Only going by what has been said in other posts, maybe they should have been corrected.

I can't imagine that it wouldn't be supported if it was easy to implement.
Odd that you suggest that overwriting the live image might be an issue.

I must have misunderstood what this says.
"Only going by what has been said in other posts, maybe they should have been corrected" : I believe in most cases OpenViX has always been referenced, when talking about couch flash of Arm receivers... apart from some perhaps early posts :)
"I can't imagine that it wouldn't be supported if it was easy to implement" :- Easy Yes, but I believe there are concerns about overwriting the live image, but as the author of the imaging tool used by all OE-A images (I believe) has taken this into account, it shouldn't be an issue, and I have never had an issue with my receivers :) (which is just my experience :) )

ccs
08-04-17, 14:17
"Only going by what has been said in other posts, maybe they should have been corrected" : I believe in most cases OpenViX has always been referenced, when talking about couch flash of Arm receivers... apart from some perhaps early posts :)
"I can't imagine that it wouldn't be supported if it was easy to implement" :- Easy Yes, but I believe there are concerns about overwriting the live image, but as the author of the imaging tool used by all OE-A images (I believe) has taken this into account, it shouldn't be an issue, and I have never had an issue with my receivers :) (which is just my experience :) )Not a clue what you're trying to say here, but putting phrases like "(I believe)" and "which is just my experience" are hardly going to enforce your argument.

twol
08-04-17, 14:25
Not a clue what you're trying to say here, but putting phrases like "(I believe)" and "which is just my experience" are hardly going to enforce your argument.
Thats because I am just trying to be very polite :):) You can believe whatever you want :)
If it didn't work, neither I or other images would be doing it:) ... without issue.

ccs
08-04-17, 14:37
Thats because I am just trying to be very polite :):) You can believe whatever you want :)
If it didn't work, neither I or other images would be doing it:) ... without issue.Then why isn't it implemented in ViX?
All I'm doing is repeating what has already been said, and you're contradicting it.
Maybe I should politely wrap smiles around all my posts.

twol
08-04-17, 15:11
Then why isn't it implemented in ViX?
All I'm doing is repeating what has already been said, and you're contradicting it.
Maybe I should politely wrap smiles around all my posts.

Because OpenViX doesn't support couch flash on Arm processors ... is that simple enough?

abu baniaz
08-04-17, 15:26
there is a post in the solo4k section explaining reason. I'll try and post link later

EDIT:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?51420-Ofgwrite&p=400861&viewfull=1#post400861

Content copied below

nsw9154
08-04-17, 15:39
Because OpenViX doesn't support couch flash on Arm processors ... is that simple enough?

i did not know that either twol until after i posted my reply and then messed up my Oscam configs and tried to do a restore of my Ultimo 4k Vix Image :eek:

so i ended up doing a Clean Fresh install of 5.0.008 Release from scratch with no Backups or restores on my Ultimo 4k as i found that was the only way to overturn my messed up changes that i had made instead of doing a simple image restore i find that is like going back to the Stone Age :mad::confused:

twol
08-04-17, 16:08
[QUOTE=nsw9154;445856 i find that is like going back to the Stone Age :mad::confused:[/QUOTE]

I can only agree, as couch flash was initially a major advantage for OpenViX vs other images ... but I only test these images, so not my decision.... but the advantage of the OE-A and the various Enigma2 images (like OpenViX) is that you can extract, modify and add code if you want to build function into images, as long as you are prepared to do the work and run your own builds.

ccs
08-04-17, 17:33
Because OpenViX doesn't support couch flash on Arm processors ... is that simple enough?It is simple enough - that's what I've been saying all the time - it's you who complicates matters by saying it works on other images, and the ones you build.

ccs
08-04-17, 19:26
let me clarify this issue, OpenViX will sorry to say NEVER support live flashing of the Solo4K, here's why.

the Solo4K uses a EXT4 filesystem and as such it is not possible to FLASH a mounted ext4 filesystem, unlike other boxes that use a block type filesystem. The OFGWRITE tool IMO is wrong to even attempt this for the Solo4k, here why i think so and why openvix will not support this tool for the Solo4k.

firstly is does not perform a reflash, it is simply mounting the image file and then copying the files from the image overwriting the files in the flash, think of this way, it is like trying to reinstall windows over itself whilst windows is running.

IMO this could lead to all sorts of issues, as system libraries are still being accessed, the flash has not been cleaned. This could lead to bad blocks as the the filesystem is being overwrote whilst it is still being used.

So i am sorry to say OpenVix will never support live flashing of the Solo4k, whilst it uses a ext4 filesystem.

OpenViX will NOT take any chance that this tool 'could' cause harm to any users Solo4K boxes, so this is why we have taken this action.

Again we are sorry but we will NOT reconsider this at all.