PDA

View Full Version : Mutant Vs Octagon

ilexk
02-04-17, 00:34
Hi Twol and all the other members !!

Wanting to switch to a 4K Deco

Can you help me choose between Mutant HD51 and Octagon SF4008?

For years I have enjoyed Dreambox and Vu + Decos ...

Can you give me the advantages and disadvantages of each model?

I ask you since I see that you have both devices for some time now.

Greetings.

Sicilian
02-04-17, 05:12
Main difference is SF4008 supports up to 3 tuners and the SF4008 tuners are S2X.

twol
02-04-17, 06:41
SF4008: 3 tuners (2 physical =3 tuners), S2X (for those that need it), better remote, easy to switch bootmode (PiP/No PiP etc)
HD51: 2 tuners(1 physical), Kodi 17, better use of the internal EMMC (for both Kodi and true Multiboot capability = multiple image support).
Both have been good with support, Mut@nt more low key but have delivered 1st, Octagon have been promising more functionality and are extremely visable (like Kodi for Easter!) but still waiting.......

Very difficult to choose between them. I use Octagon as my lounge receiver (in 1080P mode), HD51 as my test receiver (because of multiboot) (in 2160 mode) but picture wise nothing in it ... both excellent.

twol
02-04-17, 13:08
The only other thing I would add, is that the HD51 is typically bad (compared to say the ET8500) in connecting up an internal HDD, but the SF4008 is (in my view) a pain in the ass ... absolutely doable, but ALL those screws .. give me a break:):)

john doe
02-04-17, 13:18
i have to admit, the HDD is a faff due to the sf4008 hdd holder being on the motherboard. but not all that bad

ilexk
02-04-17, 13:35
Hello again guys !!

The Mutant HD51 with the standard tuner allows you to watch one channel and record another simultaneously?
Or maybe I need to have two turners?

I guess you'll tell me the best is OpenVix !!

In Multiboot, what is your order in quality for the support?

I use Ccam, in 4K only Oscam works?

It is easy compatible ?

They are any addons like TsPanel to download and install automatically?

Greetings.

twol
02-04-17, 13:51
Hello again guys !!

The Mutant HD51 with the standard tuner allows you to watch one channel and record another simultaneously?
Or maybe I need to have two turners?

I guess you'll tell me the best is OpenVix !!

In Multiboot, what is your order in quality for the support?

I use Ccam, in 4K only Oscam works?

It is easy compatible ?

They are any addons like TsPanel to download and install automatically?

Greetings.

1 physical tuner - gives 2 tuners so can watch/record
In multiboot?? Not sure of the Q?
They are both Arm receivers, so You only have Oscam, and it's not like CCcam
Why do you need tspanel??:)

twol
02-04-17, 13:54
To balance my SF4008 negative screw comments, the HD51 has no On/Off switch .... it's pull the power lead, which I dislike ..... another reason why the SF4008 is in the lounge, my in-laws with their "finger-troubles" which constantly mess up the box, would have killed the HD51 by now by yanking the lead :):)

ilexk
02-04-17, 15:45
Hello again Twol !!
How are you?
I'm not clear about the tuner, with the serial you can see one and record another?

From the same transponder or the whole satelite?

I think the Linuxsat Panel seems interesting for downloading tools.
Do not believe the same?

Greetings.

twol
02-04-17, 15:48
The dvb-s2 tuner has 2 sat connections for independent satellite feeds

ilexk
02-04-17, 16:05
The dvb-s2 tuner has 2 sat connections for independent satellite feeds

Looking at the photos, it seems that one is an input and another is antenna output.

twol
02-04-17, 16:17
Looking at the photos, it seems that one is an input and another is antenna output.

No, connects 2 sat inputs ... it's right in front of me at this moment:)

ilexk
02-04-17, 16:35
No, connects 2 sat inputs ... it's right in front of me at this moment:)

look at this

twol
02-04-17, 16:46
Yep, just pulled the box out and I am getting confused with the SF4008 downstairs .....sorry.
The HD51 has room for 2 tuners with a sat feed at the top, rf out at the bottom on each tuner.... so maximum of 2 feeds.
The SF4008 has room for 2 double tuners, each tuner takes 2 feeds ....although the 2nd tuner only has one useable input...so 3 possible connections.

Sometimes these 2 receivers are too similar!!!! .... but are different:) ... I shouldn't be watching the sport whilst trying to respond.

Mart336
03-04-17, 15:01
Those wo can look uk channels over 27.5W HD51 is better because bbc skript is working in short mode.
Not 100% sure but it seems SF4008 can show 27.5W image only using bbc script long mode. If somebody can test it and need details ask me and i can help.

maxben
05-04-17, 22:36
Those wo can look uk channels over 27.5W HD51 is better because bbc skript is working in short mode.
Not 100% sure but it seems SF4008 can show 27.5W image only using bbc script long mode. If somebody can test it and need details ask me and i can help.

OE-A images no longer need the script for 27.5w, incorporated are the changes implemented by the SDG team, working without script on my SF4008.

Parameters C:2600,f:400 just need to be added to all the channels using DBedit.

twol
06-04-17, 08:37
Now if I could only use mirrors to bend the 27.5W beam around my house to the dishes on my garage :)

Mart336
08-04-17, 20:44
What this no script exactly means, is it working like short mode or like long mode?
If somebody can test it pelase try how it is. If it's like short mode then You can record multiple 27.5W channels same time or watch other tuner channel same time. Also 27.5W recording is working when tuner is in standby.

Mart336
08-04-17, 22:00
Tested 27.5W without dvbsnoop and bbc skript. After lamedb changes it's working like "short mode".
Can somebody confirm is it possible to record multiple channels same time with octacon sf4008 or vu solo 4k tuners?

maxben
08-04-17, 22:12
I tested for you and was able to record 4 channels simultaneously without issue (couldn't see the point in trying to record more).

Also no problem recording in standby.

Mart336
12-04-17, 10:57
I tested for you and was able to record 4 channels simultaneously without issue (couldn't see the point in trying to record more).

Also no problem recording in standby.

That's great news...then i can buy Octagon sf4008 now.
Can You also comment this 3 tuners limitation...is it possible to add usb dvb-t2 stick or no?

maxben
12-04-17, 12:48
Very poor support for extra tuners tbh, evidently they haven't implemented vtuners yet, seems they prefer to put their development time to implement unnecessary and waste of time Kodi !

Only Sundtek USB tuners work but there isn't the abilty to watch one channel and record another, the recording stops after a few seconds so pointless really.

Also ABM can't use these USB tuners and yet for some reason always chooses the Sundtek tuner to scan even though internal tuners are available.

They above problems don't exist on the HD51.

My solution for extra tuners for time being is to use a TM nano combo box which was sat here unused with fallback setup for extra DVB-S2 and DVB-C tuners

Other USB tuners such as the DVBsky or PCTV 292e are broken in E2 since ViX 5.0.002 and other images I have tried and it seems the problem originates from Pli and they're not interested in fixing it although the DVBsky will work on the HD51 if using the USB3 port.

If the new HD51 tuners turn out to be as capable as the SF4008 tuners (multistream and DVB-S2X) I will switch to that.

My testing was done 3 or 4 weeks ago now so things might have changed but I don't intend to spend anymore time on it.

Mart336
13-04-17, 10:16
Ok thanks...at the moment i got HD51 with DVB-S2 and DVB-T2 internal tuners + DVBSKY T330 stick in USB3.0 port.
It seems i continue with this tuner for some time.

Is somebody tested DVB-T2 tuner in slot A, is it really twin tuner if it's in slot A or no?

mr.raw
26-04-17, 18:34
SF4008: 3 tuners (2 physical =3 tuners), S2X (for those that need it), better remote, easy to switch bootmode (PiP/No PiP etc)
HD51: 2 tuners(1 physical), Kodi 17, better use of the internal EMMC (for both Kodi and true Multiboot capability = multiple image support).
Both have been good with support, Mut@nt more low key but have delivered 1st, Octagon have been promising more functionality and are extremely visable (like Kodi for Easter!) but still waiting.......

Very difficult to choose between them. I use Octagon as my lounge receiver (in 1080P mode), HD51 as my test receiver (because of multiboot) (in 2160 mode) but picture wise nothing in it ... both excellent.

I am stuck on which one of these to chose. At first i thought this thread would help, now it's thrown up more to think about :(

twol
26-04-17, 19:21
Both are good boxes and both provide excellent picture on 1080 and 2160.
Based on Octagon's initial "promises", if they haven't provided Kodi by the end of the month, I would go with the HD51.
Reason: Mutl@nt have been very quiet but have delivered. Octagon have been very strong on the marketing, but have not delivered their promises (my view).

xsony_ngux
15-04-18, 15:04
Both are good boxes and both provide excellent picture on 1080 and 2160.
Based on Octagon's initial "promises", if they haven't provided Kodi by the end of the month, I would go with the HD51.
Reason: Mutl@nt have been very quiet but have delivered. Octagon have been very strong on the marketing, but have not delivered their promises (my view).

Did Octagon deliver kodi then? :P

john doe
16-04-18, 08:26
Did Octagon deliver kodi then? :P

they did:thumbsup:

kipp3r
02-05-18, 19:23
To balance my SF4008 negative screw comments, the HD51 has no On/Off switch .... it's pull the power lead, which I dislike ..... another reason why the SF4008 is in the lounge, my in-laws with their "finger-troubles" which constantly mess up the box, would have killed the HD51 by now by yanking the lead :):)
Slightly off topic but might help someone regarding the on off switch , I seen this on/off switch solution on another forum posted by - willo3092 so all credit to him -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JCYN95W/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_2
, you can buy them cheaper if you shop around , I have 2 and they work a treat.