PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Wrong TimeZone for Summer time

iwg
26-03-17, 18:22
Hi all, I thought I had already posted my query on wrong timezone when I noticed this issue and was going back to update it with a solution I found. I can't fin dthe original post so apologies if this is a duplicate.

I think it is a bug in build - see below.

I had been updating all my home devices after the change from GMT to BST this morning but my time zone in date display changed from GMT to "IST" which IS Indian Standard Time according to Google. But the time itself did not move forward by 5 hours. So I suspected a more annoying bug - that BRITISH summer time was being inaccurately displayed - this proved to be correct. See the cut/paste below for evidence and how to temporarily get the display corrected. Can this please be fixed in future releases?

root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# ls -l Dublin London
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3559 Feb 18 14:51 Dublin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3687 Feb 18 14:51 London
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Mar 25 19:24 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Dublin
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# date
Sun Mar 26 18:03:22 IST 2017
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London /etc/localtime
ln: /etc/localtime: File exists
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# rm /etc/localtime
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London /etc/localtime
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 Mar 26 18:04 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/London
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# date
Sun Mar 26 18:04:33 BST 2017
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe#

Can I please get my /etc/localtime file correctly pointing me to London and thus BST timezone, not the foreign city Dublin. Thanks.

iwg
26-03-17, 18:33
The contents of files below show that the wrong timezone is selected to get "IST" - but don't know why "I" is selected in first place? The last line in each file's strings output shows the TZ to change from/to and when in March and October - last week's Sunday.

root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# strings Lon*
TZif2
BDST
TZif2
BDST
GMT0BST,M3.5.0/1,M10.5.0
root@vusolo2:/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe# strings Dublin*
TZif2
TZif2
GMT0IST,M3.5.0/1,M10.5.0

ronand
26-03-17, 18:47
I have a Solo2 running 5.0.008 and the clock updated automatically to summer time without doing anything. Timezone is GMT.

iwg
26-03-17, 18:53
I have a Solo2 running 5.0.008 and the clock updated automatically to summer time without doing anything. Timezone is GMT.

Thanks Ronan - can you login to it (if a telnet user) and try date command and see if you get the below:

root@vusolo2:~# date
Sun Mar 26 18:51:20 BST 2017
root@vusolo2:~#

I think the problem is on the VU+ itself, not TV display. I was getting the IST timezone where BST is now listed. Obviously GMT is home timezone but not currently active.

birdman
26-03-17, 19:03
I had been updating all my home devices after the change from GMT to BST this morning but my time zone in date display changed from GMT to "IST" which IS Indian Standard Time according to Google.It stands for Irish Summer Time here.

But the time itself did not move forward by 5 hours. So I suspected a more annoying bug - that BRITISH summer time was being inaccurately displayed - this proved to be correct. See the cut/paste below for evidence and how to temporarily get the display corrected. Can this please be fixed in future releases?I've written the code to select timezones based on the actual timezone files present on the system, rather than using an MS Widnows style set of options (which are incorrect).
I'm waiting for the first pull request to be added, so the real fix can go in.

iwg
26-03-17, 19:09
Thanks Birdman - will await your fix for the annoying bug. Will know how to use work around with sym link in meantime. Yes - know what you mean about MS Windows style zones.

ronand
26-03-17, 19:30
Thanks Ronan - can you login to it (if a telnet user) and try date command and see if you get the below:

Sun Mar 26 18:51:20 BST 2017

I think the problem is on the VU+ itself, not TV display. I was getting the IST timezone where BST is now listed. Obviously GMT is home timezone but not currently active.

Sun Mar 26 19:29:23 IST 2017

Thats what I get.

bbbuk
26-03-17, 19:35
I get the same as @ronand. It reads IST which is wrong but time is still correct.

birdman
27-03-17, 21:40
Thanks Birdman - will await your fix for the annoying bugYou'll have to wait for some time, then. The fix (which works well) has been rejected on the grounds that it needs additional code to effect currently-missing functionality.

ronand
27-03-17, 22:23
The main thing is the time is correct so no need for anyone to panic. Thanks for the input Birdman

LbCwby
27-03-17, 22:54
Also have a solo2, but my setting shows GMT, and the time shows all OK, and I actually live in Ireland.