PDA

View Full Version : Infinite reboot loop, crashes, VU+ Solo 4k

JasonM8
25-03-17, 05:36
Hello,

I have new VU+ Solo 4k stuck in infinite loop. I had several crashes and reboots on the very first day, with original VU+ image. It rebooted three times in a row when I tried to do initial scanning of the channels right after turning it up for the first time. Then it worked fine for a couple of hours, only to crash again, with "we are really sorry.." message. Unfortunately I did not have time to take the photo or write the message down. Now my receiver is stuck in infinite loop, I tried turning it off, unplugging it, but it doesn't help. I can log into the device through SSH though.

Do I have a malfunctioned device? What can I try to get it to work again?

Thanks

DaMacFunkin
25-03-17, 07:12
You have installed a plug in or skin the device does not like, you will need to fresh flash it, why not give VIX a go?

duoduo
25-03-17, 08:24
Do you have an hard drive fitted? Best to start again and reflash image no backups

JasonM8
25-03-17, 14:41
​Unfortunately I do not have hdd yet, so no log. For future reference can log be written to a usb stick?

This is a used receiver btw, and I can still return it, so I would like to install the most stable image to eliminate possible hardware problems. Can you recommend me one?

Also is there some self-check program that can detect hardware issues with the receiver?

abu baniaz
25-03-17, 14:48
If there is no storage device, logs are kept in /home/root/logs/
Yes, you can use a USB flash drive. If it is the only device, it will be mounted as /hdd

You can issue this command

init 4 && enigma2

You should see where it fails

duoduo
25-03-17, 15:55
You might have installed too much for the internal storage to deal with. Try flashing with Vix, lots of guides on here as well as helpful members

JasonM8
25-03-17, 16:04
I found 380 crash logs through SCP (receiver is still in reboot loop). They are mostly the same size and content.

Here is one of the logs with over a thousand lines, I have about 120 of these.

http://pastebin.com/kfcDLGt2

Here is a smaller one, 19 lines, I have 200 of these

http://pastebin.com/hYXWXg6C

Some logs do not have any useful information. 48 logs that are completely empty, and 50 something contain just the header.

I would appreciate if someone can take a look.

Andy_Hazza
25-03-17, 16:10
I would personally flash the latest ViX image via usb. Image can be found here >> http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/downloads/vu-plus-images/vu-solo4k/ Then you need to use a usb flash drive to store your EPG data because you don't have an Internal HDD installed yet. Just do the basics, I.e. ABM, CrossEPG and see how that goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
25-03-17, 16:19
You can stop the bootloop while you fix the issue using the following command

init 4

It is failing on this bit

Plugin Extensions/BitrateViewer failed to load: TPM challenge failed
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Components/PluginComponent.py", line 57, in readPluginList
plugin = my_import('.'.join(["Plugins", c, pluginname, "plugin"]))
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Tools/Import.py", line 2, in my_import
mod = __import__(name)
File "/usr/lib/enigma2/python/Plugins/Extensions/BitrateViewer/plugin.py", line 28, in <module>
from bitratecalc import eBitrateCalculator
TypeError: TPM challenge failed

TPM are normally Dreambox related, so an issue with a plugin/image. You can try and delete the just the BitrateViewer folder and see if that helps. But better to flash image again. Save any config files to read your card to your PC first.

JasonM8
25-03-17, 16:34
BitrateViewer is the last plugin I installed. I executed init 4, delete BitrateViewer directory, it is still looping.

I plan on flashing a non-stock image, but I was hoping I could first confirm that the cause of this is software and not hardware. Device in question is a return, store offered a discount or exchange, so I don't want everything to work fine and then have things start crashing again after my return window is closed.

abu baniaz
25-03-17, 16:36
Flash OpenVix as suggested by Andy_Hazza

Andy_Hazza
25-03-17, 16:40
The Vu+ Solo 4K is a solid receiver.

JasonM8
25-03-17, 17:07
I plan on installing a non-stock image, but because I have reasons to believe that hardware may be faulty I wanted to attempt to examine and resolve this first to make sure the issue is software and not hardware.

Andy_Hazza
25-03-17, 17:20
Nope BitrateViewer was the cause. You NEED to fresh flash and do the basics. You'll not get far with the Vu+ stock image.

JasonM8
25-03-17, 17:45
Nope BitrateViewer was the cause.
BitrateViewer seems to be causing the crash, but is that because of a bug in BitrateViewer or because my receiver may have hardware issues?

Is there a known issue of BitrateViewer causing VU+ (or VU+ Solo 4k in particular) to end up in infinite reboot loop?

I tried google and the first link is this thread, other links on the first page don't seem to be related.

JasonM8
25-03-17, 18:00
Here is new crash log, I do not see bitrateviewer being mentioned any longer, but it is still rebooting.

http://pastebin.com/Nf55KbFv

Andy_Hazza
25-03-17, 18:03
Do as suggested please, and put a fresh image with just the basics installed, I.e. ABM & CrossEPG and a usb flash drive to store your EPG data.

JasonM8
25-03-17, 18:17
Andy_Hazza, you are missing the purpose of my thread. I have reasons to believe that my receiver may be faulty and the last thing I want to do is to mask possible hardware issue by installing different image with different software, get the impression that everything is working fine, only to have receiver start crashing on me again right after my return window is closed.

I am right where I want to be, getting crashes and restarts, and I want to get to the bottom of them.

So I would kindly ask you to stop repeatedly suggesting to install a fresh image - I will do that, but only after confirming that this was indeed a software problem.

judge
25-03-17, 18:27
Andy_Hazza, you are missing the purpose of my thread. I have reasons to believe that my receiver may be faulty and the last thing I want to do is to mask possible hardware issue by installing different image with different software, get the impression that everything is working fine, only to have receiver start crashing on me again right after my return window is closed.

I am right where I want to be, getting crashes and restarts, and I want to get to the bottom of them.

So I would kindly ask you to stop repeatedly suggesting to install a fresh image - I will do that, but only after confirming that this was indeed a software problem.
The chances of your receiver being faulty are extremely rare.
Save yourself all the hassle & do as suggested. Install a fresh image.

JasonM8
25-03-17, 18:29
The chances of your receiver being faulty are extremely rare.
Save yourself all the hassle & do as suggested. Install a fresh image.
Receiver (which was sold to me as brand new) is a return, it has obviously been used before, and the store basically admitted it by offering me a discount, exchange or a full refund.

So in my case the chance of receiver being faulty is higher than the average.

twol
25-03-17, 18:41
Receiver (which was sold to me as brand new) is a return, it has obviously been used before, and the store basically admitted it by offering me a discount, exchange or a full refund.

So in my case the chance of receiver being faulty is higher than the average.

You obviously have made your mind up (which is your perogative), but don,t come onto this forum when you don't at least listen and action the responses .. many of the respondees have messed with these boxes for years and know what they are talking about.
Just do what you want to do and return the box, which in all likelyhood is absolutely fine .... but again thats your decision, just don,t keep on asking for help, its a waste of everyones time :):)

JasonM8
25-03-17, 18:56
If I made up my mind I would just return the receiver instead of spending hours trying to get to the bottom of this.

I am new to enigma receivers and that is why I am seeking help, but I am not new to debugging problems (both hardware and software), and when debugging something the last thing one wants to do is to eliminate the ability of replicating the error without actually fixing the underlying cause.

duoduo
25-03-17, 20:42
Dude just flash an image like Vix, trust us we know what we are talking about. Put the kettle on, have a brew then flash once you have calmed down. I really think your worrying over nothing.

abu baniaz
25-03-17, 20:42
The way to check for hardware issues is normally, start with plain image, do not add plugins or cams, run as Free to Air for 24 hours. If it crashes within that time, there is a possibility of a hardware fault. Not necessarily the receiver as some receivers have short circuit protection which would kick in when others would not. You then add one plugin at at time until you find the problematic one or one that manifests the problem.

The general rule of fault finding some people employ is "what was the last thing to change". Receiver was working fine until you installed a plugin. Does it work fine without the plugin?

Sometimes when you install a plugin, it has other dependencies. It will update some other aspects. As you have an issue that you are adamant is hardware fault, flash the same image as you had before, install the same plugin by command line and see what gets updated/installed too.

If you can say what image it is/and upload it, I can try it and install the plugin. If mine crashes too, your hardware fault is unlikley to transfer to mine unless it is a design/manufacturing fault. As I said before, TPM, is a Dreambox specific item.

Good luck in your debugging/solving.

deltec
26-03-17, 05:28
just take the above advise mate if ur thinking of selling it what do u want for the box

JasonM8
29-03-17, 16:54
So I gave up trying to debug original image, installed OpenPli, and then ViX, and I no longer have restart loop. However I am still having issues with enigma occasionally freezing. Also my recordings sometimes have errors, and end up being unwatchable, while sometimes they are perfect. Perhaps related to the fact that I am currently recording on USB stick?

Is there some self-test software that will test device's memory and other components?

duoduo
29-03-17, 20:16
Menu-information-memory

JasonM8
01-04-17, 01:25
Menu-information-memory
I meant a program like memtest86 that will perform deep integrity check of the memory. Does something like this exist that will run on enigma receivers?

abu baniaz
01-04-17, 01:57
There were posts about memtester, but I don't think it is compiled on the OE-A plugins feeds. Added to that, your receiver is not mipsel

Maybe someone who knows these things can compile it?

https://github.com/openembedded/openembedded/tree/master/recipes/memtester

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/utils/memtester