PDA

View Full Version : [Mut@nt HD1500] Advice on how to upgrade.....

imish
21-03-17, 11:52
Team.

Managed multiple boxes, VU, multiple Micracle's & one Mutant.

Mainly remotely either using the web interface OR using command line.

Upgraded from 003 to 004 a few days back and the VU and Miracles upgraded smoothly however the Mutant didn't - stuck on boot.

Now I assume this was due a kernel update or something - so I had to USB Flash the box to recover it - (sometimes not possible due to other boxes being remote).

How can I check before updating that the update will potentially brick the box requiring a USB Flash (I do have a look on this forum but it isn't always clear)?

Whats the recommendation here?

Thanks

abu baniaz
21-03-17, 15:08
You have been advised before, please stop saying receiver is bricked. If it were, a flash by USB would not resolve problem.

You cannot update through a kernel change. Without seeing the boot log, difficult to say what is wrong.

abu baniaz
21-03-17, 15:10
The recommendation is visit parents more frequently and update their receivers while there in person.

abu baniaz
21-03-17, 15:16
The very small group of people who always have problems updating, nobody else has, should try the following:

Create an image backup regularly and save to PC so it can be flashed.

Abandon updating.
Create a settings backup
Download desired image
Flash desired image by Image Manager or USB.
Restore the settings and plugins.

imish
21-03-17, 15:53
You cannot update through a kernel change. Without seeing the boot log, difficult to say what is wrong.

How does the team communicate about kernel updates for specific boxes?

Other than Kernel changes, are there any other items that can cause the update to fail that would be good to be aware of?

imish
21-03-17, 15:56
Create an image backup regularly and save to PC so it can be flashed.

Create a settings backup
Download desired image
Flash desired image by Image Manager or USB.
Restore the settings and plugins.

this is the process I follow and the mutant got stuck on reboot.

Had to do a USB flash (requires physical attention) which is what I am trying to avoid.

ccs
21-03-17, 16:04
this is the process I follow and the mutant got stuck on reboot.

How do you manage to do an image reflash remotely?

imish
21-03-17, 16:06
How do you manage to do an image reflash remotely?

through the super web interface :)

abu baniaz
21-03-17, 16:10
if that is the process you followed, why is the description of problem different?

imish
21-03-17, 16:15
if that is the process you followed, why is the description of problem different?

It isn't. I just didn't spell it out in the steps that you mentioned.

imish
21-03-17, 16:20
You have been advised before, please stop saying receiver is bricked. If it were, a flash by USB would not resolve problem..

Yes, been following that procedure - however it doesn't account for Kernel and maybe other updates that cause the box to get stuck @ boot - hence the thread.

Sorry for not knowing the right terminology - how would you describe a STB that is stuck in boot?

Andy_Hazza
21-03-17, 17:12
Stuck in Boot or Bootloop. [emoji85]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

invisiblelayer
21-03-17, 17:24
Mutant box at my parents , did say something about kernal so couldn't online update - straight forward as settings back up on usb, flashed and restored settings easy. Gonna stop doing updates for them now mind as long as ABM works then all good as only use for live tv

abu baniaz
21-03-17, 18:31
Ambiguity does not help identify or resolve issues.

Reading between the lines, there could be a problem using Image Manager to flash the Mutant. Somebody will need to check this using the remote and also using openwebif.

Whether you flash by USB or Image Manager, the image being flashed is the same.

imish
21-03-17, 18:36
OK - whats the best way to check whether there is a kernel / critical item in the software image that will cause the boot issue with an update?

Are there any bulletins / etc that I can tune into prior to update? - I do always check on this forum.

abu baniaz
21-03-17, 18:55
What do you intend to do?

Update
Flash by USB
Flash by Image Manager