PDA

View Full Version : HDD space issue affecting OS Mega + Possible other boxes fixed in build 5.0.004

Sicilian
18-03-17, 09:50
The issue we had that was resulting excessive HDD space being used during recording we hope has been resolved. The issue was most apparent on Edision OS Mega, but during some tests was found on a number of other boxes.

We recommend that OS Mega users re-initialise their HDD once OpenViX build 5.0.004 is released. Menu > Setup > System > Storage Devices > Select your HDD and initialise it. NOTE ANY RECORDINGS YOU HAVE WILL BE LOST.

Other users can re-initialise if they have the need, issue was not as bad or apparent on other boxes.

Note same issue was found in OpenATV, but NOT OpenPLi. The issue was an E2 issue, not hardware or drivers.

johnhoe
18-03-17, 09:52
Thanks. Will this issue have affected network drives connected to the box also?

Sicilian
18-03-17, 09:56
Thanks. Will this issue have affected network drives connected to the box also?

No, it was a HDD formatting issue. Basically the way E2 was formatting HDD using certain flags.

ccs
18-03-17, 10:53
Any idea how long the problem has been affecting hdd's, has it recently happened or has it been around for years?

Sicilian
18-03-17, 11:26
Any idea how long the problem has been affecting hdd's, has it recently happened or has it been around for years?

From the info we've been given issue was affecting newer linux kernels.

speedygonzalez
18-03-17, 12:27
The issue we had that was resulting excessive HDD space being used during recording we hope has been resolved. The issue was most apparent on Edision OS Mega, but during some tests was found on a number of other boxes.

Is the excessive space loss from timeshift / pause the result of the same bug?

Is it affecting all other boxes you have tested, or just some (despite using the same kernel version). If the latter a list affected boxes identified might be helpful?

Cheers!

Sicilian
18-03-17, 12:29
Is the excessive space loss from timeshift / pause the result of the same bug?

Is it affecting all other boxes you have tested, or just some (despite using the same kernel version). If the latter a list affected boxes identified might be helpful?

Cheers!

Yes and yes affecting other boxes differently. Once 5.0.004 is released, re-initialise your HDD and all will be ok.

ccs
18-03-17, 14:03
No, it was a HDD formatting issue. Basically the way E2 was formatting HDD using certain flags.

Is there a way of finding out which flags were used to format a hdd?

I can't say I've noticed any problems, but I'm sure there will be a few on here who would rather not reformat the drive unless the formatting was suspect.

Sicilian
18-03-17, 14:06
Is there a way of finding out which flags were used to format a hdd?

I can't say I've noticed any problems, but I'm sure there will be a few on here who would rather not reformat the drive unless the formatting was suspect.

It's not noticeable to everyone or all boxes. If you've had no issues, ignore this thread.

https://github.com/OpenViX/enigma2/commit/489559cb122eb399baf7b533c90b7e02489a12c9

ccs
18-03-17, 15:23
... my hdd has the bigalloc feature, so if I start using the latest kernel/release of ViX on my et10k, I may see problems. Interesting.

Sicilian
18-03-17, 15:37
... my hdd has the bigalloc feature, so if I start using the latest kernel/release of ViX on my et10k, I may see problems. Interesting.

It will run fine if you format it or don't format it.

Once again, if your not having an issue ignore this thread.

Sicilian
18-03-17, 15:55
A way to check if hdd free is being detected correctly. Or if slightly out this will show.

1) Menu > Information > Devices > Note FREE space.
2) Press Record button > Select Enter Recording Duration and press OK on the default 5 mins.
3) When recording is complete, Menu > Information > Devices > Note FREE space.
4) Reboot.
5) Menu > Information > Devices > Note FREE space, check if FREE space is still the same as before reboot or has increased. If increased re-formatting with build 5.0.004 should stop this.

On receivers I tested was slightly out on some, nothing to worry about. If you reboot daily or use deep standby daily users will properly never notice.

kokojnr
18-03-17, 16:21
Will the 5.0.004 build resolve the problem with "pause and FF" on EDISION OS mini+ ?
I have both the MEGA and MINI+

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sicilian
18-03-17, 16:29
Will the 5.0.004 build resolve the problem with "pause and FF" on EDISION OS mini+ ?
I have both the MEGA and MINI+

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Yes, see here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?55991-Timeshift-Black-screen-issue-affecting-some-boxes-fixed-in-5-0-004

ccs
19-03-17, 14:15
I'm not sure if I dare post this.:)

I've just tried out the hdd check (above) on 4.2.026 ET10K.

The first time, the free space actually went up after the 5 minute recording - I guessed it could be .trashcan being tidied,
so I deleted everything in .trashcan and waited until the free space had settled down to 532.8GB.
This took 30 minutes, free space was slowly being released for all this time.

I then recorded the 5 minute programme and free space went up to 542.57, and was the same after a restart.

Movie list went down from 530GB to 529GB free, and 529GB after a reboot.

OpenWebIf reports the same (wrong) free space value of 490.1 in "box info" all the time.

I waited 10 minutes, tried again, recorded the programme, and free space went down from 542.57GB to 542.39GB, and the same after a reboot, which sounds right.