PDA

View Full Version : Mut@nt HD51 PLUS Kodi 17

twol
12-03-17, 17:15
After a huge update over the last 2 weekend, Kodi 17.0 is now capable of running on the HD51................ depending on the Image.
The EMMC has been reworked to contain room for 4 images plus a Kodi swap file.

From comments, it runs apparently faster than the Vu+ Ultimo 4K Kodi implementation........ so something to look forward to....................

I have just run an image build, so will let you know what I think later!!!

For those daring people that run the HD51 multiboot (not the multiboot plugin frig) you will have to clean flash the receiver, due to the reflash of the EMMC.

There will also be changes necessary to ViX to support this change.

As other receivers update their drivers it is likely (eg Octagon) will also support this change :)

garryboy
12-03-17, 17:41
Exciting stuff. Look forward to your thoughts on it Twol.

What will be involved to have it running on vix. Will it be a plugin installation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dfox
12-03-17, 17:44
Excellent news, so does this mean we need to run multi boot software or can we just use vix?

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

twol
12-03-17, 18:07
The next ViX image version "should" contain everything (it works for me).
As usual you just install the mx3 kodi plugin.
Apparently it works/has worked without the swap file, but obviously this "may"/will effect speed.

So far with (I have to say) minimal initial tests, it is really fast...... and appears as good as a dedicated Android Kodi media streamer I used a few months ago (and this was really high end).
flipping between Vix Image & Kodi is also painless.
Only issue I have currently is with the screen in Kodi(overscan) but that should be fixable :)

Will try loading up a few things tomorrow like video libraries.

garryboy
12-03-17, 18:15
Thanks Twol. Look forward to trying it out.

dfox
12-03-17, 18:16
And is the mx3 kodi plugin available to download in the plugin feeds as usual or do we need to load ourselves? I am looking forward to this, I was just about to buy a 4k fire tv box but will hold off.

twol
12-03-17, 18:38
For the VU+ (now) and HD51 should be after next ViX build and feeds update.... but you should wait for a Vix team update:)

So far I am really impressed with the Kodi plugin (and the positive responses on another forum)........ but early days!! :)

What I really like is the way a swap file has been added, to help with Kodi.

Andy_Hazza
12-03-17, 18:48
Having a swap file is like going back in time. Eeewwww.

danlou
12-03-17, 19:22

Having Kodi on these boxes is moving forward with the times :p

Andy_Hazza
12-03-17, 19:25
hehe. Yeah its a good start.

twol
12-03-17, 19:26

Then fast forward, its back again for good reason ... its called using the facilities available on a box to their best advantages ... not because its short of something :):)
Some 4K receivers also have a big EMMC but have no clue what to use them for ....... and before you jump in I am not just talking about Vu+

If this works well, and we need to see how people that have used Kodi for some time respond...... then it will be real positive.
Will it replace dedicated boxes? I have no idea - it shouldn't because Kodi boxes should be set up for Kodi and the interface should be better ........ but ........

Andy_Hazza
12-03-17, 19:28
Yes you are, but hey ho who gives a ......... hehe

twol
12-03-17, 19:35
Yes you are, but hey ho who gives a ......... hehe

No, I am actually talking about Octagon and what they "may" come up with ... lots of talk, lots of promises regarding Kodi, and now it's all set up on the OE-A ... any receiver can probably support Kodi if the drivers are available ... so an interestng situation:):)

maxal
12-03-17, 19:36
Hi Andy, a question about swapfiles, I have swapfile setup om my Edison OS-Mega and Octagon SF4008 both running Openvix 5.0002 do I really need it?

Andy_Hazza
12-03-17, 19:40
Hi Andy, a question about swapfiles, I have swapfile setup om my Edison OS-Mega and Octagon SF4008 both running Openvix 5.0002 do I really need it?

Why oh why? Take em right off. They'll do harm than good matey. In harm I mean slow the receiver down. Swap File were created for receivers like the Vu+ Duo, Vu+ Solo etc where the receiver lacked memory. Take the Swap File off buddy.

maxal
12-03-17, 19:51
Ok will do Andy thanks for the advice.

twol
12-03-17, 20:30
Why oh why? Take em right off. They'll do harm than good matey. In harm I mean slow the receiver down. Swap File were created for receivers like the Vu+ Duo, Vu+ Solo etc where the receiver lacked memory. Take the Swap File off buddy.

Absolute agree!!! These swap files are for a different time:)

twol
15-03-17, 14:17
So taken me a couple of days getting the hang of all this (getting old:) ), but I am still impressed both by the Kodi platform and the unbelievable variety of content.
The bad news ..... expect to take a few soft crashes every so often. Once set up with repositories, it normally takes me 3 attempts to load the Kodi plugin (it loads and then returns to plugin menu).... but eventually gets there :)
Good news ... once up it stays reasonably stable and seems in general surprisingly fast.

Can play my videos from my NAS boxes directly through uPnP, but if I add the server directly it builds up the video library with information but doesn't play them (black screen/no sound) ..... guess I will fix eventually?:)

Overall, B+ :)

Now all I have to is either wait for Octagon to get their drivers sorted for Kodi or switch the 2 receivers over (Lounge -> Office)

garryboy
15-03-17, 16:10
Thanks Twol for sharing your thoughts.

Look forward to giving it a go.

dfox
15-03-17, 18:01
Thanks for this, looking forward to trying it out. Soon hopefully

dfox
22-03-17, 20:00
Really impressed with kodi on this box. Excellent.

dfox
24-03-17, 22:13
When playing films I have a horizontal coloured line across the top of the screen. not brilliantly visible on this pic but does anyone know if this is a kodi setting issue or something I need to change on the box?