PDA

View Full Version : Os mega set up guide

Ian l
09-03-17, 23:12
Hi all.
Bought the os mega and wondering is there any set up guides on here ? Getting rid of s.. and setting up this weekend. New to this and don't want to mess box up.got openvix installed.and a internal hard drive. Is it a case of follow set up wizzard?
and would like to have an epg on it but bit unsure where and how I get that from ?
Thanks
Ian

0aceone0
09-03-17, 23:43
Hi all.
Bought the os mega and wondering is there any set up guides on here ? Getting rid of s.. and setting up this weekend. New to this and don't want to mess box up.got openvix installed.and a internal hard drive. Is it a case of follow set up wizzard?
and would like to have an epg on it but bit unsure where and how I get that from ?
Thanks
Ian

xxxxxxx

I am after openatv image as I cannot get kodi 17 to work on vix. Like you I am new to this

kokojnr
10-03-17, 00:23
I've got OS MEGA with VIX and Kodi works flawlessly on it.
Search the forum and you will see instructions of putty command you need to run, to enable kodi work

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

kokojnr
10-03-17, 00:28
See post #19 on this thread to get kodi working http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?t=55048

Ian l
10-03-17, 08:15
Thanks. But not after kodi info...it's setting up box guide I'm after ?it will have my 2 sat cables into back.info on set up and what sat to set to and an epg to use
Thanks

Andy_Hazza
10-03-17, 08:49
Guides can be found here >> http://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/guides-and-tutorials/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashley69
10-03-17, 08:49
There are loads of info and guides on this forum. Take time to go through the forum
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?301-ViX-Team-Images-Guides-Here

kokojnr
10-03-17, 08:50
There is a guide on VIX website though it's a bit dated,
Connect your sat cables to the box and follow the on-screen guide.
Do not do any channel scan until you finish, then use ABM to scan.
CrossEPG is good for your daily EPG update

garryboy
10-03-17, 10:06
If it's a UK sky dish you are using you want to set up tuner config as simple. 28.2e and disceq off. Do the same for both tuners.

Once done that then Autobouquets maker to get your channel list. Pick sky UK and enter your region I use custom Scotland west. Pick swap channels as yes and start scan.

Then you need to set up cross EPG. You need to save it to your Hard drive or preferably a USB stick.

Select opentv provider and press ok on sky UK so you get a tick on it.

Then you can download the epg

Ian l
10-03-17, 10:18
Thanks this all helps. Openvix was put on when bought.
Got an 8gb flash drive to. I believe that is for the epg ? And should I put that in before I set up ?
And also live north Wales near Chester so which region is best ??

garryboy
10-03-17, 10:25
Yes but you have to mount the USB stick. Press blue button then vix then go to mounts.
Press setup up mounts and on your USB stick push the right arrow till it changes to /USB

Then when you go to the Cross EPG setup you can select USB as your location for storing the EPG

ccs
10-03-17, 10:32
..... it's got an internal hdd, so the epg can be stored there.

Ian l
10-03-17, 10:34
OK thanks. So is it best using usb or hard drive for epg ?

garryboy
10-03-17, 11:25
I use my USB stick. Then Box doesn't have to spin up hard drive to read the data. I find it quicker.

ccs
10-03-17, 11:47
EPG is stored in memory, and written to epg.dat (once a day, I think, but you can change it) and read back in when the box is rebooted.

So it shouldn't be any quicker.

Andy_Hazza
10-03-17, 12:16
You not got an internal HDD on your OS Mega?

Andy_Hazza
10-03-17, 12:17
EPG best stored to your HDD, ditch the usb flash drive.

Andy_Hazza
10-03-17, 12:19
I use my USB stick. Then Box doesn't have to spin up hard drive to read the data. I find it quicker.

Don't confuse yourself with EPG & Picons. Picons will spin the HDD, the EPG is best stored to your HDD.

Andy_Hazza
10-03-17, 12:20
OK thanks. So is it best using usb or hard drive for epg ?

HDD always.

Ian l
10-03-17, 12:24
Yes got 500 gb hdd but thought flash drive was where epg would be stored/updated ?
Confusing with different answers...

garryboy
10-03-17, 12:48
I'm well aware of the difference between picons and EPG.

Been using USB stick for my EPG since 2011 never had any issues with it. As 2 of my boxes don't have HDDs

There are a lot more experienced users on here than me though. So if Andy says HDD then listen to him.

I learned to do all this setting up myself so I suppose ita personal preference with stuff like that.

garryboy
10-03-17, 15:12
http://www.openvix.co.uk/openvix-builds/Guides%20and%20Tutorials/How%20to%20setup%20CrossEPG%20for%20Sky%20uk%20on% 20ViX%203.0.pdf

Andy_Hazza
10-03-17, 15:14
Yes got 500 gb hdd but thought flash drive was where epg would be stored/updated ?
Confusing with different answers...

Never store EPG to flash. You can store Picons to flash if receiver has enough internal flash space. EPG to HDD is good.

garryboy
10-03-17, 16:18
I think he was meaning his USB Flash drive as opposed to the internal flash.

Ian l
11-03-17, 00:20
Yes was suggesting epg on usb flash. But think it best on internal hard drive by the looks of it.
Thanks all.
I may be back if struggle to set up ...

abu baniaz
11-03-17, 00:44
It does not matter if you use a USB flash drive or internal mechanical HDD for the EPG.

Your storage device must be connected/available to the receiver at start up, shut down, reboot.

yatman
11-03-17, 22:55
message deleted