PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive dissapering from mount manager

thejoker
05-03-17, 14:35
Ok I've figured out finally what has been making my box act crazy. The hard drive is disappearing from mount manager, Ive replaced it with a brand new western digital scorpio drive, checked connectors are firmly in place but no joy.

Ive been in touch with technomate who will supply me with a new power and data cable but looking at the cable Im thinking is it definitely the cable, all it is, is copper wires connecting the hard drive to the mainboard.

So its making me think its more of a mainboard issue, I'm on the latest version of VIX and running the usual setup.

Anybody offer any input...?

john doe
05-03-17, 14:38
have you tried with 4.2 030 and if you get same issue

thejoker
05-03-17, 17:31
Yes, Ive just done that today actually and as i type the hard drive is currently not present in mount manager so I can't pause, record or expect my epg to download.

I don't even record that often, what Im going to do is disconnect the internal hard drive and insert a sands 8gb usb drive at the back and run that to see how it goes...

But if the usb drive disappears then what could that mean??

thejoker
05-03-17, 17:32
I've actually just rebooted box and hard drive has appeared and is working so will give it another day on version 30

ccs
05-03-17, 17:37
My ET10K HDD sometimes disappears, it's usually after reflashing, and the solution is to completely power off for 10 minutes.

I always power off like this after a reflash, to avoid it happening.

thejoker
06-03-17, 19:47
No, still happening. Ive disconnected hard drive and removed sata cable from box, just plugged in usb flash drive, initialised and see how this runs...

thejoker
27-03-17, 18:36
Well tested with internal hard drive, with 3 different drives. Well tested with a usb stick. The internal hard drive constantly disappears from mount manager. Box is terrible with an internal hard drive connected.

Runs perfect with usb stick.

Does this definitely mean its a sata cable issue or could it maybe be something in the mainboard. Technomate want £15 for the sata cable but don't want to buy unless i know for sure it will fix it..

john doe
27-03-17, 19:14
Well tested with internal hard drive, with 3 different drives. Well tested with a usb stick. The internal hard drive constantly disappears from mount manager. Box is terrible with an internal hard drive connected.

Runs perfect with usb stick.

Does this definitely mean its a sata cable issue or could it maybe be something in the mainboard. Technomate want £15 for the sata cable but don't want to buy unless i know for sure it will fix it..

can you not take the box to electronic shop to test

thejoker
27-03-17, 22:28
Is there schematics available and I can try to test voltages across pins myself...

john doe
28-03-17, 08:37
Is there schematics available and I can try to test voltages across pins myself...

that should be able to tell you if its the HDD or connection. you may need to contact technomate or find out the voltages.

thejoker
21-04-17, 20:29
Ok box has been running fine with usb stick for a while but now its started to reboot itself especially as soon as i run a crossepg download. Have changed psu, still the same, changed memory stick, still the same. Opened box up and it is quite hot, the heatsink has also come undone.

Do i just need to apply thermal paste and stick it back down?

abu baniaz
21-04-17, 21:40
You use thermal paste when there is a mechanical means of holding cooler in place. Otherwise, you must use a thermal adhesive.

thejoker
30-04-17, 20:51
On the nano 2 super, what component is the heatsink on top of. This artic silver listing says thermal adhesive is not for sticking heatsink on top of cpu, but i thought thats what it was stuck to...

Ive used thermal compound and adjusted placement of it on my box and its made a world of different but its still liable to move like before..

thejoker
06-05-17, 23:14
On the nano 2 super, what component is the heatsink on top of. This artic silver listing says thermal adhesive is not for sticking heatsink on top of cpu, but i thought thats what it was stuck to...

Ive used thermal compound and adjusted placement of it on my box and its made a world of different but its still liable to move like before..