PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo 4k with OpenVix freezing

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 13:13
I have vu+Solo 4k box with OpenVix. Box/Vix completely froze when setting up a new skin in OpenVix. I downloaded it ok, it was during the set up that it went wrong. I was following the tutorial video so I think I did everything correct. I'm getting the tree image with "Please Wait..." Have had this since yesterday. Switching off the box does not reset...Please help

ccs
04-03-17, 13:16
2 questions to start with.

Which version of ViX are you on?

Have you used telnet before?

ccs
04-03-17, 13:24
If you are familiar with telnet, and it will connect to the box after it has frozen, simply delete the folder then new skin is stored in.
It should be in /usr/share/enigma2/.....

The other solution is to reflash the image.

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 13:45
2 questions to start with.

Which version of ViX are you on?

Have you used telnet before?

Hi, thanks for answering.

Vix 4.2 030. (Just see now that Vix 5.0 is available so I guess I should try that....)

I don't even know what telnet is so I'm guessing NO!

Sorry, I really don't know much about this stuff at all and I'm wondering if the VU box was a mistake as a result..

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 13:47
Not familar with telnet, is this a software that I should download and plug into box??

Was going to reflash but was afraid I'd just do more damage:confused:

ccs
04-03-17, 13:53
Telnet is a program you run on a pc which allows you to connect to your box.

Reflash the latest image with a settings restore is your simplest option.

john doe
04-03-17, 13:54
Hi, thanks for answering.

Vix 4.2 030.

I don't even know what telnet is so I'm guessing NO!

Sorry, I really don't know much about this stuff at all and I'm wondering if the VU box was a mistake as a result..

what skin was you setting up?

Vu are very good receivers. i have used Vu for many many years with no problems (you have a good receiver there). people complain/moan when they don't understand how to do something or something goes wrong. the forum is here to support.

if you have a backup I would use this first. if not I would flash the new openvix 5 images (if out for solo4k) and take from there. Telnet (is a program) where you can send commands to the receiver, that diagnosis, send information or receive information etc etc. if you are not familiar with telnet, leave this for the moment & reflash and start again. if you have problems come back

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 13:58
Ha ha, I'm in little doubt that my incompetence will be a bigger problem than the box :D Although, I'm pretty sure that something went wrong here with software.
Will flash Vix 5 now and let you all know how I get on.

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 13:59
Thanks. Reflash, I can do but what do you mean by a settings restore? I'll try this first

ccs
04-03-17, 14:04
You really need to take regular backups of your box, so that when you find yourself in the situation you are in now, you can restore your system back to how you had it, without having to start again from scratch.

john doe
04-03-17, 14:06
Thanks. Reflash, I can do but what do you mean by a settings restore? I'll try this first

when you flash and setup a box and have it the way you want, its always a good ideas to backup your image and setting . buy pressing blue button/going to Vix/back up manager and image manager, and using green button to back up everything, in case something happens you can always go back and restore the last image, you can set this up automatically to do when a new image comes out.

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 14:51
when you flash and setup a box and have it the way you want, its always a good ideas to backup your image and setting . buy pressing blue button/going to Vix/back up manager and image manager, and using green button to back up everything, in case something happens you can always go back and restore the last image, you can set this up automatically to do when a new image comes out.

Ah, ok, that makes sense. However, I get the feeling that this could be a regular occurrence which is somewhat worrying. Coming from a sky box, in fairness I never had these kind of problems.

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 14:53
Ah, ok, that makes sense. However, I get the feeling that this could be a regular occurrence which is somewhat worrying. Coming from a sky box, in fairness I never had these kind of problems.

Most likely a user setup error. I have the Vu+ Solo4K and is working flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 14:53
So, I just flashed Vix 5 and went through the set up. Everything seemed to go ok and I got the message that it was ready to use, I got a screed with the tv guide bar at the bottom (blank) and then I got a colourful bubbles OpenVix screen which said "please wait". Unfortunately, I'm still waiting 30 minutes later...Could it be something during set up that I did wrong or is there a problem with my box?

ccs
04-03-17, 14:55
It's waiting for you to setup from scratch. Does the menu button work?

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 14:55
Hi Andy_Hazza,
Yes, you're probably right in fairness. I really feel that I'm well out of my depth with setting this up...But where can I gain the knowledge to set this up correctly?

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 14:57
I just flashed the new Vix 5 software from scratch. Buttons were working fine, went through the set up but then it froze again, just after telling me that it was ready for use

ccs
04-03-17, 14:59
..... so the menu button isn't working?

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 15:01
Sorry john doe, the skin I was setting up was called Blue HD I believe... The skin is only just that though isn't it? Just colouring and theme of the same menus, etc....

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 15:03
..... so the menu button isn't working?

Well no, not now. No button is working now at all.

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 15:05
Hi Andy_Hazza,
Yes, you're probably right in fairness. I really feel that I'm well out of my depth with setting this up...But where can I gain the knowledge to set this up correctly?

We've all been in this situation buddy. An official sky box is plug n play whereas these e2 boxes have so much more to offer. You'll get to grips with it I'm sure and don't be afraid to keep flashing the receiver and trying different things out. My advice is just setup the basics first and setup ABM (AutoBouquetsMaker) & CrossEPG and then just introduce things gradually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

satellite dummy
04-03-17, 15:09
Thanks for the advice. I knew Sky was designed to be simple and I knew I'd have a bit more to do with the VU but my god, I had no idea how much more! ABM and CrossEPG - more new terms for me! I think the title "novice" would not explain how far behind I am with this stuff! Is there anywhere I can get a fool's guide to all this satellite box lingo, terms, etc. I would love to learn but don't know where to start!

john doe
04-03-17, 15:12
Sorry john doe, the skin I was setting up was called Blue HD I believe... The skin is only just that though isn't it? Just colouring and theme of the same menus, etc....

follow Andys suggestion. start with the important things first ABM, then Cross epg. the bubbles on the screen will show if the flash was successful. once the load up page done you should see the setup wizard, asking to setup DHCP, and your satellite setting 28.2, 05 etc, depending what you on. once done all that, the box should reboot, this is when you can start settuo ABM, cross epg and the rest

all comes with experience, took me a day or even more when I first started, now can setup a box in in no time

satellite dummy
06-03-17, 10:01
Hi everyone, Ok I reflashed my box with OpenVix 5.0 and spent some time "playing" with the menus. It's working now anyway! I've managed to find the Auto Bouquets Maker and set up some channel lists (ABM is just the ordering of the available channels is it??). Then I managed to do a scan (of some sort) and now I have some of the available channels. I know there are more available but I can't figure out how to download/scan them in....? I have also managed to do a Vix back-up so hopefully all this is saved should I have to reflash again! Thanks for all your help so far, I'm making some progress but a long way to go yet :eek:

john doe
06-03-17, 11:09
Hi everyone, Ok I reflashed my box with OpenVix 5.0 and spent some time "playing" with the menus. It's working now anyway! I've managed to find the Auto Bouquets Maker and set up some channel lists (ABM is just the ordering of the available channels is it??). Then I managed to do a scan (of some sort) and now I have some of the available channels. I know there are more available but I can't figure out how to download/scan them in....? I have also managed to do a Vix back-up so hopefully all this is saved should I have to reflash again! Thanks for all your help so far, I'm making some progress but a long way to go yet :eek:

if you use ABM theres no need to manual or auto scan, just use ABM and this will do bring channels up.

go into ABM, config - setup to expert mode, schedule scan yes, time of scan to start- this is when ABM will auto update channels (pick a time that when you are not watching tv, example 3:00am.

repeat how often - daily or weekly up to you. keep all non... yes - place bouquet at top = extra debug yes. press green t save.

go to providers and go to Sky uk set to yes, go to sky uk are and use custom and the area you live. setup rest how you want. press green. now go to scan and this will scan all channels.

satellite dummy
07-03-17, 10:57
Thanks for that! I haven't done it yet but will at first opportunity. I had set up APM in Simple mode I think and definitely didn't do the schedule scan....so the APM brought up the channel name but not the channel names themselves. Will let you know how I get on. Cheers