PDA

View Full Version : flash

alan1812
03-03-17, 22:20
solo 4k can you flash openvix 5 via blue button vix image manager yellow button download vix 5 and flash

abu baniaz
03-03-17, 22:29
no .

alan1812
03-03-17, 22:33
why ?
will image manager not let you do it
what would happen if I tried it

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 00:34
why ?
will image manager not let you do it
what would happen if I tried it

Try it, but it won't do anything. Couch flashing for the ARM receivers isn't available on ViX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willmoore
04-03-17, 08:56
I have asked the question regarding couch flash on the Mutant hd51 several times without being given a clear answer. One Vix Beta tester said it was going to happen but ..............

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 08:59
It could potentially brick the receiver, thus the reason it has been removed from all ARM receivers.

duoduo
04-03-17, 11:17
If there is the potential to brick receivers it shouldn't have the ability to show up in image manager. There will be forum members who don't visit the forum as often as others who might try to update this way.

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 11:26
The Couch Flash facility doesn't work.

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 11:29
Also duoduo, don't confuse yourself. You can still download images within IM via the Blue button, which you could then store to a usb flash drive and then Blue button to Restore.

ccs
04-03-17, 11:47
Also duoduo, don't confuse yourself. You can still download images within IM via the Blue button, which you could then store to a usb flash drive and then Blue button to Restore.

Add me to the confused list.:)

DaMacFunkin
04-03-17, 11:52

Andy, your on the beta tester roster, can you not ask why the arm boxes running OpenVix don't have the option to save image backup to Fat32 USB Stick like on OpenBH?

garryboy
04-03-17, 11:57
Same here I'm just about to update to 5.0.

I was planning in downloading image from openvix.co.uk. Transfer to USB and flash from front of box.

What's the other method. Your on about Andy?

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 12:06
Same here I'm just about to update to 5.0.

I was planning in downloading image from openvix.co.uk. Transfer to USB and flash from front of box.

What's the other method. Your on about Andy?

Because Couch Flashing can't be used with ARM receivers, you can however insert a usb flash drive to the rear for example (permanently) and in IM you can change the location to save images to your usb flash drive and then restore.

duoduo
04-03-17, 12:08
I think what he is saying his dl the latest image from IM directly to a USB and then flash.

garryboy
04-03-17, 12:16
Is that what normal image manager does. Downloads image from server and flashes by pressing Blue button.

Do you mean I need to download image from openvix.co.uk. Transfer the zip file to images folder on the USB stick. Insert it into box and Then use image manager to restore that image.

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 12:28
garryboy, we are talking about ARM receivers (e.g. Vu+ Solo4K, Vu+ Uno4K, Octagon SF4008 etc) that can't be "couch flashed" like the Mips receivers (e.g. Vu+ Solo2, Edison OS Mega, Mut@nt HD2400) so as a work around you could have a usb permanently inserted to the rear of the ARM based receiver, then change the location of where the Images are stored to the newly inserted usb and via Blue button, ViX, Image manager, Yellow button >> Your images will be downloaded to the usb, then you can restore via the Blue button. Then after it has flashed you just need to remember to delete the image from the usb.

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 12:29
BTW, when I say ARM couch flash like Mips receivers, its all about the Ofgwrite tool.

Ashley69
04-03-17, 12:33
You don't use image manager. Turn off box completely. insert usb stick into box. Turn box back on whilst pressing power button on box. This will flash the box with new image.

Ignore this. May have got my wires crossed.

ccs
04-03-17, 12:33
ViX, Image manager, Yellow button >> Your images will be downloaded to the usb, then you can restore via the Blue button.so you can still blue button restore from usb, but not from hdd?

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 12:35
The Ofgwrite tool uses live flash and that is the problem when it comes to the new ARM based receivers.

alan1812
04-03-17, 12:37
I tried it blue button vix image manager yellow button downloaded vix 5 to hd and pressed ok on 5.0.001 and it flashed ok done a restore when asked and back on all ok

duoduo
04-03-17, 12:42
Which receiver?

alan1812
04-03-17, 12:45
it is a vu+ solo 4k

duoduo
04-03-17, 12:49
So now I am confused, so your saying you have dl Vix 5.0 from image manager and then couch flashed?

alan1812
04-03-17, 12:51
yes and that is how I have done it for almost a year but I was told the other day not to do it as it will not work so that is why I asked
that is how I did it on my vu+ duo so I thought it was the same

ccs
04-03-17, 12:52
So now I am confused, so your saying you have dl Vix 5.0 from image manager and then couch flashed?

I suspect he's been lucky that it works.

duoduo
04-03-17, 12:52
Can Vix team confirm this is safe?

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 13:24
When you have downloaded the image to the usb, when I say Restore, I meant you would then restart your receiver to flash the image. The method I am mentioning is a way to stop inserting, removing, inserting usb flash drives. This method will never replace the true "couch flashing" experience that is Ofgwrite tool, but unfortunately with ARM we can't do this.

duoduo
04-03-17, 13:24
I suspect he's been lucky that it works.

Perhaps but he is saying it's worked for him without issue

duoduo
04-03-17, 13:25
When you have downloaded the image to the usb, when I say Restore, I meant you would then restart your receiver to flash the image. The method I am mentioning is a way to stop inserting, removing, inserting usb flash drives. This method will never replace the true "couch flashing" experience that is Ofgwrite tool, but unfortunately with ARM we can't do this.

Alan1812 has done couch flash though

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 13:27
I'm using a modified version of IM, but that is my own choice, and if I brick my receiver then I have to face that consequence.

alan1812
04-03-17, 13:34
ok I will use a usb from now
but as I said every time I have had a green flashing symbol for updates I have downloaded via image manager pick the image I just downloaded press ok on remote and it go's to Ofgwrite tool and flash's then I restore if possible and I have always done it this way but not anymore

Andy_Hazza
04-03-17, 13:46
ok I will use a usb from now
but as I said every time I have had a green flashing symbol for updates I have downloaded via image manager pick the image I just downloaded press ok on remote and it go's to Ofgwrite tool and flash's then I restore if possible and I have always done it this way but not anymore

When you have a green flashing light, you can just update via Menu > Setup > Software Update and update the image that way.

alan1812
04-03-17, 13:49
yes I know that but that's the way I have always done it that's just my choice but couch flashing as always worked fine for me but I will be downloading to usb from now on

garryboy
04-03-17, 14:06

To be honest Andy thats a fair bit different from what you said above and hope you can see how I was a little bit confused by what you were saying about the blue button restore. .

I'm aware that the Arm receivers cant be couch flashed.

Il stick to USB flashing my HD51 until there is a formal change to be couch flashing procedure.

kennyboy
04-03-17, 22:14
You don't use image manager. Turn off box completely. insert usb stick into box. Turn box back on whilst pressing power button on box. This will flash the box with new image.

Ignore this. May have got my wires crossed.

this is the correct way ive always flashed my solo 4k by this method, as we all know things get broken sometimes when updating ota or im, use the usb port at the front press the little button to the left it is called power button dont get confused about the blue circul.

duoduo
05-03-17, 10:08
How long should it take on solo4k for the flashing process to take? Been saying flashing image on front screen for about 5 minutes, feels like something has gone wrong here?

alan1812
05-03-17, 12:44
How long should it take on solo4k for the flashing process to take? Been saying flashing image on front screen for about 5 minutes, feels like something has gone wrong here?

have you sorted it it should only take a few minutes to flash could be down to usb pen drive

duoduo
05-03-17, 12:58
No mate, it will be the USB. I can't for the life of me find my reliable one lol.. It started the process but then got stuck, tried a few times but same outcome so have now stopped don't want to damage box.

garryboy
05-03-17, 14:35
Flashed my HD51 via USB. Saved setting backup to Hd.
Was back up and running in 5 mins

Ragnarok
16-03-17, 15:52
As long as it doesn't touch the boot loader I can't see why this would be unsafe. The USB flashing can then be a backup if it doesn't work.

Can anyone confirm if the boot loader is safe?

On my solo 4k open ATV 5.3 to 6.0 couch flashing appeared to work for me although did restart to use a flashing utill!! However it never actually flashed the new image. when it rebooted I was still on the old image!!! I was still on the latest 5.3. USB flashing worked though.

If you have to use a Usb Couch flashing will never work as you must get up to press the power button behind the flap to start the flashing process. though deep standby is handy so you don't miss the flash prompt. you press that power button once to power up again when the flashing prompt comes up.