PDA

View Full Version : New to Linux boxes and need a little help deciding please.

blinkydamo
26-02-17, 22:28
Evening all,

I currently have a Humax Freesat box that is failing and need to replace it, I am currently stuck between the Xtrend ET8500 and the Vu+ Solo 2.

My current setup is a Sony smart tv used for Netflix, a Humax used for Freesat and ondemand (iPlayer) and an Onkyo TX-NR414 for sound and music. I currently have an MSI Cubi sat behind it all serving Plex Home Theater ( the Plex Server is runnign on my Microserver upstairs ). I am looking for a dual sat receiver that can upgrade in the future if needed, full HD but not 4k with picture and sound quality being important as well as speed, I don't like slow devices. I am not bothered if it is techy as I like my tech and work in IT so enjoy the challenge.

So the question I need help with is which is the better purchase, both seem very good and there are loads of reviews for the Solo 2 but I am struggling a little more with the et8500/ Could someone with experience in this area tell me if there is a clear winning or are they much the same apart from the physical visuals? I am presuming that the software can be the same for either device, from what I have seen there seems to be a few but Blackhole seems popular, please correct me if I am wrong.

I hope someone is able to shed some light on this for me to help with the purchase, cheers in advance.

Blinky

abu baniaz
27-02-17, 00:42
Welcome to the forum.

Blackhole is only available to Vu+ receivers.
For Catchup TV, you won't get a good product as offcial devices. However, there are enigma2 plugins that will work.

blinkydamo
27-02-17, 09:30
Ah cheers for the info did not realise Blackhole was only for the Vu+ range. The on demand side of things is a little bit of and issue as the wife is currently off on maternity and watches a lot of the on demand content.

How are the plugins for the Enigma 2 range, are they stable and up to date and cover the full range of channels? ie iPlayer, ITV and channel 4?

Cheers again,

Blinky

djkross
27-02-17, 16:57
IPTVPlayer plugin is a good choice it has iplayer also many other avenues to chose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

obo110x
27-02-17, 19:08
Does your Sony smart TV not have the catch up apps? If not I'd get an LG next time as they are on their OS

blinkydamo
27-02-17, 22:49
Yeah the TV has it but the OS is not very well designed. I bit the bullet and order a Vu+ Solo 2, I managed to get Plex to deliver iPlayer as well so I now have plenty of options.

Cheers for the info all.