PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Uno] How to flash latest image - using image manager method - with wifi adapter

timofee
26-02-17, 14:42
Tried to update from 4.2.012 to 4.2.030.

All went ok until I got to the settings restore wizard option. It then said could not proceed without an internet connection. The box booted up and was working, but it had no internet connection.

I'm using a wifi dongle that needs the rtl8192cu driver. Without an internet connection to the box I can't download the driver. I had to restore back to the 4.2.012 image.

Is there a method of doing this update using just the wifi dongle.

Thanks

ccs
26-02-17, 14:44
The rtl8192cu driver is pre-installed, so the dongle should be configurable after the first reboot.

timofee
26-02-17, 22:18
I mistyped in first post - I need the rtl8192eu driver - (not the rtl8192cu version which is pre-installed).

abu baniaz
26-02-17, 22:22
To install items from the plugin server, you need an internet connection. A plugin restore is in essence automatically re-install.

ccs
26-02-17, 22:36
Can't you use an Ethernet connection ?

timofee
27-02-17, 22:57
I will have to get a long cable. Also it will take a little longer to change the settings from wifi to wired, and then back again afterwards.

Anyway, now I know about the problem.

I did not realise that you could not perform the image update method if your box only has wifi internet. I have not seen any warning about this before.

ccs
27-02-17, 23:08
I don't think the rtl8192eu driver has ever been pre-installed (could be wrong), so you'll never have been able to use image manager to update, without having to use an Ethernet connection.

All you need to do is enable the Ethernet connection in network settings and follow the dialogue.

timofee
28-02-17, 19:32
This is an old box, but in a new location. And in the new location the wifi network was the best way to connect.

I've done image manager updates many times before, but this was the first time with a wifi internet connection.

As I said, I can't remember any warnings about the problems with Image Manager when using a wifi connection.

ccs
28-02-17, 19:56
There are no problems with using image manager with a wifi connection if the drivers are pre-installed in the image.

I use it all the time.

Restore new image release => settings restore (no plugins) => reboot => settings restore including plugins.