PDA

View Full Version : Swapping lan for wifi

Realdeal358
22-02-17, 16:05
Hi
Ive just set up a technomate nano using the latest openvix for my dad while conecting to the internet using a lan connection but unfortunately the only option for my dad to connect is by wifi, I have pluged a wifi adapter which he used on his old sky reciever( which was supplied by sky) into the reciever
But I cant seem to connect to it as all it is looking for is the lan connection, how can I go from a lan connection to a wifi connection?

Stanman
22-02-17, 16:39
Try network and device setup but the wifi module might not work as driver will be needed

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

gerinemo
22-02-17, 16:39
I would imagine it would go along the lines of
plug in your lan cable then go to plugins then drivers and download what ever the driver for your wifi dongle
As it was supplied by sky you may need to use google to find the model or there may be something written on it like a manufacturer /model
when that's done
switch off the receiver and insert the wifi dongle
restart the box and see if it picks it up

this would be for a usb wifi antenna type of thing

I don't have the same box to test for you but I do have an amiko box which had a similar setup for wifi

EDIT : beaten to it by stanman :-)

Edit
Is it one of these boxes
https://accessories.sky.com/catalogue/products/sky-on-demand-connector?section=internet&category=all
as that looks to have an rj45 and as such should be just like a network out
But I would imagine that there is some kind of sky firmware that will force it to connect to a sky server for ondemand ?
and not just a blanket internet access kind of connection

DaMacFunkin
22-02-17, 17:31
No those Sky adaptors work fine with e2 boxes and as long as they are paired to the router you just configure it as a normal lan connection, not wifi.

Realdeal358
22-02-17, 19:57
Thanks for the quick reply everyone, gerinemo it is one of those sky boxes on the link above, damacfunkin I tried to pair it to the router but wouldnt connect yet when I pluged it back into the sky box it paired with the router straight away? Do you think the plugins are the best way forward or am I missing something?

gerinemo
22-02-17, 20:00
Sorry misread your post

Does it by any chance get its power from the sky box like poe ( power over ethernet )
does it light up at all
Do you have an external power supply for it

As a test you could connect the rj45 cable from the sky box and go into plugins and press green to download plugins and see does it connect and let you select which ones to download

Realdeal358
22-02-17, 20:04
I wish it was a rj45 but unfortunately it is a usb connection

gerinemo
22-02-17, 20:17
ah the picture in the link is a lan version

I would imagine it needs the drivers to be downloaded then
so you would have to try find out the maker and see if there are drivers for it in the downloadable plugins

Or get the usb antenna version like in the vid
This is an Irish co that does a few videos on e2 receivers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMMBDR8FUeg
I hope the sponsers dont mind me posting the link on how to connect the dongle from another site but it just gives an instruction on how to connect
You can probably get the dongle from WOS

gerinemo
22-02-17, 20:28
another site suggests that this is a
802.11n USB Wireless LAN Card by Ralink Technology, Corp.

You could see if the drivers in the downloable plugins have a railink driver

May be worth making a backup first though

EDIT :

Just having a quick look
In the download drivers section
7th driver down says

dvb-usb-dvbsky 2.0 r6
usb driver for sky family

May be worth a shot