PDA

View Full Version : General Housekeeping

techygirl
19-02-17, 11:25
Do people have a regular housekeeping schedule or do you just tidy up your systems ad hoc?

I am trying to work out the key things I need to do to keep my boxes problem free. (Mainly the family boxes so I am not dealing with shouts in the middle of footy matches that something has gone wrong.)

Some of the things that I am thinking may need checking/updating/deleting are:

Updating picons
Deleting spent timers
General housekeeping of timers/autotimers to make sure they are on the right tuners (terrestrial/sat) (Nothing worse in the middle of a match the stb changing channels because there is no free tuner.)
Deleting unwanted/watched recordings
Rescanning for new/changed channels
Checking/redoing bouquets (new/obsolete channels)
Update Openvix

Sicilian
19-02-17, 11:29
:rofl:
When I saw this thread in General Chat, I seriously thought this was about cleaning ya house or something :roflmao:

wullboy
19-02-17, 13:32
:rofl:
When I saw this thread in General Chat, I seriously thought this was about cleaning ya house or something :roflmao:

pmsl... so did i Sic...:lol:

techygirl
19-02-17, 14:35
Now now boys - don't stereotype me - I would much rather play with my box than do housework :roflmao:

birdman
19-02-17, 14:48
Deleting spent timersThis is configurable so they go after <n> days.

General housekeeping of timers/autotimers to make sure they are on the right tuners (terrestrial/sat) (Nothing worse in the middle of a match the stb changing channels because there is no free tuner.)I only have terrestrial channels, so they don't change all that often (the ones I actually use hardly ever change).
As for the last bit - set up a recording for the match and you'll know about this problem in advance.

goosegog
19-02-17, 17:47
Now now boys - don't stereotype me - I would much rather play with my box than do housework :roflmao:

nearly choked on my tea!!:D

techygirl
20-02-17, 20:02
This is configurable so they go after <n> days.

I only have terrestrial channels, so they don't change all that often (the ones I actually use hardly ever change).
As for the last bit - set up a recording for the match and you'll know about this problem in advance.

The match issue tends to happen because I have control of the living room and have my various timers set and then either hubby or son comes in and changes channels to watch the match (even though they have their own boxes)

Thanks for the heads up on the deleting spent timers.

abu baniaz
20-02-17, 20:03
I shall move thread to Image support section

abu baniaz
20-02-17, 20:13
Picons:
Ever since we introduced SNPicons, the need to keep up with changes has lessened. When missing picons annoy you, then update them.

You will have to keep an eye on the picon threads that you use.

Channel lists:
If you use ABM, the providers that ABM does will maintain themselves.

Sky UK changes are normally Tuesday and Thursday.

Timers are not tuner specific, they are delivery type specific. If you set a timer on a terrestrial service, the recording only record on a terrestrial service, unless you set alternatives. You cannot move the timer from terrestrial to satellite.

techygirl
20-02-17, 20:46
Thanks. Apart from making sure that I have a list of possible things to keep on top of, I guess I was wondering if other people 'cleaned' their boxes regularly if if they just did things ad hoc when they remembered or when things weren't working.

abu baniaz
20-02-17, 20:55
If you schedule/automate ABM, CrossEPG downloader, EPG importer for the non-UK services, rest of stuff is usually wait until things go wrong.

Extra failsafe thing worth doing is to keep "ready to flash" backup images on a USB flash drive. If something goes wrong and you are not at home, they can pop the USB flash drive in and flash it.

birdman
21-02-17, 01:51
The match issue tends to happen because I have control of the living room and have my various timers set and then either hubby or son comes in and changes channels to watch the match (even though they have their own boxes).In which case when the, "No free tuner" comes up they can go back to their own box· It appears to be their problem, not yours - you should, politely, point this out to them.

danlou
21-02-17, 09:10
Does one have to run Update Config file in Service Searching Menu or does ABM take care of that when run?

Ashley69
21-02-17, 12:05
Does one have to run Update Config file in Service Searching Menu or does ABM take care of that when run?

You have to do it yourself.

techygirl
23-02-17, 22:28
How long and how many backups do people keep? I have my boxes set to backup weekly and I always do a backup before I update.

Do you tend to just keep one/a couple of working backups or do you keep quite a few.

Also the same question re Images - how many do you keep?

birdman
24-02-17, 03:09
How long and how many backups do people keep? I have my boxes set to backup weekly and I always do a backup before I update.I do them daily at 22:00 and keep 10.

Images are only done manually and occasionally (before I do something I might wish to get back from - if I remember) and I keep 5 (was 2).
[The option for how many you keep is only visible once you turn on a schedule, but it remains active if you switch the scheduling off afterwards - arguably a mis-feature....]

Tkr001
25-02-17, 23:13
I only do backups before updating. I find it easy enough to set up from scratch in the unlikely event I need to do so.