PDA

View Full Version : 5 years of fun and now red light of death

KoenV
17-02-17, 15:47
Hi Guys,

I have been the happy user of my Vu+ duo for 5 years. at the time i bought it trough a local dealer.
By using the info in all the posts I read here on this forum:p, I was able to flash it with Open VIX.

last week it started behaving badly. when i tried to view a recorded program or simply switch channels it would reboot.
my plan was to flash a more recent version of Vix. i decided to do this the next day and I turned it off.
The next morning the box would no longer boot. the only thing i got was the "red light of death"

As I have no experience with the soldering bolt repairing electronics, I took it to my dealer. I also printed out the sticky to show him the possible solution I found here on the forum.
He opened the box and had a close look and told me that there were no visible signs of damage. he explained to me that when a capacitor has died or dried out, it shows a small bulge. is that true?
anyway he was going to take a further look later in the week.

As I haven't heard from him, I called him to inform about the receiver. he hasn't found the problem, but he was happy to propose a new Mut@nt HD1500.
Hmm, I am wondering if this was his plan from the beginning.

I guess I will have to buy a new receiver. for this I am looking at WOS

the Mut@nt HD1500 I can order from WOS is cheaper including shipping to Belgium then what my local dealer offered me. Obviously I don't have to go to him for the extra service...
I also like the Edison OS Mega because it had 3 tuners
or I could stick to Vu and have a Vu+ solo2.

I think they will all do the same or more than the Vu+duo I had before.

what do you guys think? should I attempt a rescue of my Vu+Duo my self? or buy a new one with WOS? would the Edison be a good choice?

thanks!

Koen

Andy_Hazza
17-02-17, 15:51
I would recommend the Vu+ Solo2 or the Edison OS Mega. The Solo2 is an awesome receiver but the Mega looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bassethound
17-02-17, 15:57
I would very highly recommend the octagon sf4008 its the best box i have ever owned so far and i have had lots

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/octagon

nsw9154
17-02-17, 16:09
Hello :wave: well as i see it you have had 5 good years out of your VU+Dou Receiver but now it's time to move on as their are far better and faster receivers now so i think you should go for a new receiver, i have a Duo2 - Mut@nt HD2400 - Golden Interstar LX3 - Gigablue Quad+ - Extrend ET8500 & ET10k and they are in a different league to the old Duo even the Solo2 leaves the old Duo for Dead (excuse the pun) i have no experience with the new Mut@nt HD1500 but the few people that i know that have one absolutely love it and they might be along later to give you more help :)

and i took that long writing this 2 have beat me to it :D

KoenV
17-02-17, 16:21
well I must say you guys are quick!:eek:

I don't think I will be going for the Octagon. I want to keep Open VIX.

it's between Vu+Solo2 and the Edison Mega
I know Vu but it is more expensive
I never heard about Edison before but the specs are impressive

ruby1303
17-02-17, 16:33
edision os mega best for the money

nsw9154
17-02-17, 16:34
a Open ViX image is being written for the Octagon but it is still being tested but once every thing is working fine it will be released

KoenV
17-02-17, 17:22
I had a USB hdd hooked up to my duo.
I guess I would not have any problems connecting it to either of the two? And play the recorded programs;)

twol
17-02-17, 17:58
well I must say you guys are quick!:eek:

I don't think I will be going for the Octagon. I want to keep Open VIX.

it's between Vu+Solo2 and the Edison Mega
I know Vu but it is more expensive
I never heard about Edison before but the specs are impressive

Don,t diss the Octagon, it runs fine on ViX (see my signature) and their support has been outstanding since FCS and continues to be excellent. Edision has also been around some time and offer good support. As much as you love Vu, they can't even spell customer support :)

v8rick
17-02-17, 18:47
Hi Guys,

I have been the happy user of my Vu+ duo for 5 years. at the time i bought it trough a local dealer.
By using the info in all the posts I read here on this forum:p, I was able to flash it with Open VIX.

last week it started behaving badly. when i tried to view a recorded program or simply switch channels it would reboot.
my plan was to flash a more recent version of Vix. i decided to do this the next day and I turned it off.
The next morning the box would no longer boot. the only thing i got was the "red light of death"

As I have no experience with the soldering bolt repairing electronics, I took it to my dealer. I also printed out the sticky to show him the possible solution I found here on the forum.
He opened the box and had a close look and told me that there were no visible signs of damage. he explained to me that when a capacitor has died or dried out, it shows a small bulge. is that true?
anyway he was going to take a further look later in the week.

As I haven't heard from him, I called him to inform about the receiver. he hasn't found the problem, but he was happy to propose a new Mut@nt HD1500.
Hmm, I am wondering if this was his plan from the beginning.

I guess I will have to buy a new receiver. for this I am looking at WOS

the Mut@nt HD1500 I can order from WOS is cheaper including shipping to Belgium then what my local dealer offered me. Obviously I don't have to go to him for the extra service...
I also like the Edison OS Mega because it had 3 tuners
or I could stick to Vu and have a Vu+ solo2.

I think they will all do the same or more than the Vu+duo I had before.

what do you guys think? should I attempt a rescue of my Vu+Duo my self? or buy a new one with WOS? would the Edison be a good choice?

thanks!

Koen

theres a good post on the repair and people will buy your duo with the red light i thik the bit iss about 19p from maplin

nsw9154
17-02-17, 18:51
I had a USB hdd hooked up to my duo.
I guess I would not have any problems connecting it to either of the two? And play the recorded programs;)

yes your recordings recorded with the Duo will work just fine on any new receiver

Stanman
17-02-17, 20:47
You DUO is fixable, I repaired one 3 weeks ago, the capacitor displayed no viable damage bur replacing it fixed it.

Personally take to a TV repair shop, avoid the unscrupulous seller and buy from WOS.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

0jjones
19-02-17, 12:10
I personally would go for the solo 2 it is really responsive

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

john doe
19-02-17, 13:32
ive just upgraded to the octagon 4k from the solo. if you are paying £199 for solo, then I would go for the octagon 4k instead. I love mine and cant wait for open vix image to come

KoenV
23-02-17, 15:27
Hi Guys,

just to let you know that I just ordered the Edison Mega at WOS
As I live in Belgium, I guess I will have it early next week

thanks again for all your help