PDA

View Full Version : BBC to air 2011 F1 season in HD

bassethound
13-01-11, 15:48
The BBC has announced that it will broadcast the entire 2011 Formula One season in high definition following a deal with Formula One Management (FOM).

Starting in March, coverage of the Formula One Championship will be shown in HD for the first time on BBC One HD and the BBC HD channel.

F1 will join an expanding lineup of sports broadcast by the BBC in HD, including Wimbledon, all live golf, the Grand National and the Six Nations.

"Along with many, many HD viewers, I'm delighted that we'll have a chance next season to see Formula One in all its glory on television," said Danielle Nagler, head of BBC HD.

"It's fantastic news that FOM has decided to greenlight HD broadcasts, and we're looking forward to sharing with the fans all the races in all their detail on BBC One HD and BBC HD."

The BBC has also announced that Eddie Jordan will return to the F1 presentation team this year in an expanded role as primary analyst. The former F1 team boss will assume more responsibilities in response to fellow analyst David Coulthard taking on commentary duties alongside new lead commentator Martin Brundle.

"It's fantastic that Eddie is rejoining the team, and this year in a more expanded role. He's such a core character with his outspoken views, unrivalled contacts in the sport and his ability to unearth the stories from the paddock," said Ben Gallop, the BBC's head of F1.

"We're also delighted to be broadcasting in HD, something we know fans have been waiting for and it will really add something extra to our coverage for 2011."

Jordan added: "It's been a great two years so far and I'm really looking forward to getting back on the circuit, the 2011 season looks like it has plenty in store for us all. The new setup will give me even more opportunity to get to the heart of the issues in Formula 1 and tell the real stories to the viewers."

Sicilian
13-01-11, 15:49
woohoo, some HD F1, look forward to this :D

bassethound
13-01-11, 15:51
Time to get a bigger tv or a projector

silverfox0786
13-01-11, 16:01
donrt say this i cant afford a new tv lol

bobonthejob
13-01-11, 16:12
Abouts time....i was wondering on this. I saw on the autosport site that Germany were going to do this but was just waiting on this....

This will be great addition to the sport....Come on McLaren :D

bigup7
13-01-11, 16:33
not really into F1 but will be watching it to see some HD goodness :)

vu-duo-user
13-01-11, 19:34
As a petrol head ( an ex mechanic ) this is good news. :)

mauri
26-03-11, 11:59
This is great news, but not for everyone (I mean not for people like me that are outside of the Astra 2D footprint...). :(

I know that Polsat will be transmitting in HD as well, but they do not have english commentary. Is any other HD channel transmitting F1 HD, with english commentary?

cheers

The BBC has announced that it will broadcast the entire 2011 Formula One season in high definition following a deal with Formula One Management (FOM).

Starting in March, coverage of the Formula One Championship will be shown in HD for the first time on BBC One HD and the BBC HD channel.

F1 will join an expanding lineup of sports broadcast by the BBC in HD, including Wimbledon, all live golf, the Grand National and the Six Nations.

"Along with many, many HD viewers, I'm delighted that we'll have a chance next season to see Formula One in all its glory on television," said Danielle Nagler, head of BBC HD.

"It's fantastic news that FOM has decided to greenlight HD broadcasts, and we're looking forward to sharing with the fans all the races in all their detail on BBC One HD and BBC HD."

The BBC has also announced that Eddie Jordan will return to the F1 presentation team this year in an expanded role as primary analyst. The former F1 team boss will assume more responsibilities in response to fellow analyst David Coulthard taking on commentary duties alongside new lead commentator Martin Brundle.

"It's fantastic that Eddie is rejoining the team, and this year in a more expanded role. He's such a core character with his outspoken views, unrivalled contacts in the sport and his ability to unearth the stories from the paddock," said Ben Gallop, the BBC's head of F1.

"We're also delighted to be broadcasting in HD, something we know fans have been waiting for and it will really add something extra to our coverage for 2011."

Jordan added: "It's been a great two years so far and I'm really looking forward to getting back on the circuit, the 2011 season looks like it has plenty in store for us all. The new setup will give me even more opportunity to get to the heart of the issues in Formula 1 and tell the real stories to the viewers."

bassethound
26-03-11, 12:05
This is great news, but not for everyone (I mean not for people like me that are outside of the Astra 2D footprint...). :(

I know that Polsat will be transmitting in HD as well, but they do not have english commentary. Is any other HD channel transmitting F1 HD, with english commentary?

cheers

Look here for a list of all F1 broadcasters in 2011:thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formula_One_broadcasters

bassethound
26-03-11, 12:11
You can also check out liveonsat for all televised F1 in Europe :D

http://liveonsat.com/LJ_misc_motor.php

mauri
26-03-11, 12:22
thnx m8! Seems there are plenty of options! :D