PDA

View Full Version : SSD v HDD (Internal Option)

John57
12-02-17, 17:06
Afternoon All

Just a general question regarding adding an internal hard drive within a modern sat receiver for recording TV programs and epg data.

Are there any so called "performance" benefits be those, reliability, cost, or speed improvements when deciding on adding internal SSD or a standard HDD drive not least as the costs of SSD are not so prohibitive now as in the past.

Regards
John.

roy0110
12-02-17, 17:39
theres no real benefit in using a SSD.
standard HDD should have a better lifespan than SSD.

adm
12-02-17, 17:44
Afternoon All

Just a general question regarding adding an internal hard drive within a modern sat receiver for recording TV programs and epg data.

Are there any so called "performance" benefits be those, reliability, cost, or speed improvements when deciding on adding internal SSD or a standard HDD drive not least as the costs of SSD are not so prohibitive now as in the past.

Regards
John.

Comparable cost?? You may want to fit a 2T byte+ hard disk to a PVR and you will be hard pressed to find a SSD of this size for £70

PVR functionality only requires the lowest hard disk performance (speed wise) even when recording 8+ programs. To record a HD program only requires around 2G bytes per hour whereas the cache RAM of a hard disk can handle 2G bytes in a couple of seconds. The recommendation for hard disks is for a low spin speed and low power HDD to keep the heat and noise down.

I doubt that there is any benefit from installing a SSD.

John57
12-02-17, 18:11
roy0110 /adm

Thank you both for your input updating to a SSD does not seem to warrant the extra cost when you really can secure a standard HDD for around £70.
I find your recommendation really sensible "The recommendation for hard disks is for a low spin speed and low power HDD to keep the heat and noise down.

Once again, many, many thanks
John

ccs
12-02-17, 18:29
standard HDD should have a better lifespan than SSD.Is that right?

Andy_Hazza
12-02-17, 18:56
Is that right?

I wouldn't have thought so personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willo3092
12-02-17, 18:59
I use SSD's because they don't generate any heat or noise. I record to a NAS mainly anyway.

John57
12-02-17, 19:01
From what I have read SSD "should" have a better life span then a standard HDD because it has no moving parts sort of makes sense

Ashley69
12-02-17, 19:19
http://uk.pcmag.com/storage-devices-reviews/8061/feature/ssd-vs-hdd-whats-the-difference

John57
12-02-17, 19:27
Ashley69

I really good link, many thanks for sharing.

adm
12-02-17, 19:32
From what I have read SSD "should" have a better life span then a standard HDD because it has no moving parts sort of makes sense

SSDs have a limited number of erase/write cycles and in older SSD devices there may have been problems with the life expectancy compared to that of a traditional HDD. Modern SSD should not have these problems unless perhaps you have a habit of filling the majority if the disk with recordings that you want to keep for a long time leaving only a small portion for day to day temporary recordings etc. The wear algorithms on these disks try and average out the number of erase/writes to each block of memory so that one area of the memory doesn't reach its erase limit before another.

Both types of disks are likely to outlast the life of the box - people send their boxes to landfill when upgrading to something better/different as the technology moves on. I guess that power supply problems are more likely to determine the death of both types of disks more than day to day PVR use over a period of many years.