PDA

View Full Version : Telnet/Putty help please

champs4life
09-02-17, 17:37
Hi can anyone tell me how to setup telnet/putty and use commands with the receiver?

Also where receiver is hanging/crashing alot is using putty/telnet only safe option of restarting the receiver without physically doing it?

Thanks.

timofee
10-02-17, 14:53
I have an old version Putty here and you just enter the IP, set port to 23, tick telnet and press open. Then you have to put in root/password.

I find with enigma boxes it is easier to use DCC. You can do telnet and FTP commands in a single session.

ccs
10-02-17, 14:58
Lots of guides, including Putty, here....

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?301-ViX-Team-Images-Guides-Here

champs4life
10-02-17, 19:24
How would you restart receiver with putty though?

Is putty only way to safely restart receiver where it hangs/crashes?

abu baniaz
10-02-17, 19:42
Restart Enigma2/GUI

init 4 && sleep 10 && init 3

Reboot receiver

init 4 && sleep 10 && init 6

birdman
10-02-17, 20:00
The latest version of OpenViX has a terminal/command-line capability built in to OpenWebIF (although I think it doesn't install fully/properly, that can also be sorted out via OpenWebIF).
So you'd just need a Web browser.

champs4life
10-02-17, 20:18
So would it be best to use the commands in telnet or openwebif? Really confused

What command would I use then where box hangs/crashes as I dont want to turn box off at the back anymore?

champs4life
10-02-17, 20:19
Also what are the main important commands?

abu baniaz
10-02-17, 20:31
Finish one topic before starting another.

Are you able to issue "telnet" commands to your receiver?

Are you now able to restart/reboot the receiver using "telnet" commands?

birdman
11-02-17, 03:54
Also what are the main important commands?If you've managed to login, and have done so because the enigma2 GUI is hanging, then:

reboot

is the simplest.

If you want to, you could try

init 4
init 3

(wait a few seconds between the two). This will be quicker (as the system doesn't need to reboot, just the GUI restarted).

champs4life
11-02-17, 15:30
I am having serious issues with my PC so can't check anything as of yet.

When it's sorted will update here.

Thank you for the input.

malcolmp
02-05-17, 11:26
So would it be best to use the commands in telnet or openwebif? Really confused

What command would I use then where box hangs/crashes as I dont want to turn box off at the back anymore?

I second that request. I can't find anywhere that helps me when the box just locks up and the only why to restart is the on/off switch!

ccs
02-05-17, 11:28
I second that request. I can't find anywhere that helps me when the box just locks up and the only why to restart is the on/off switch!
If the box has crashed and telnet doesn't get in (give it a minute or two), then the only option is to use the on/off switch.

There is unlikely to be any disc activity to cause corruption.

malcolmp
02-05-17, 12:03
If the box has crashed and telnet doesn't get in (give it a minute or two), then the only option is to use the on/off switch.

There is unlikely to be any disc activity to cause corruption.

Thanks for that, "(give it a minute or two)" does that mean that Telnet may connect after a short while? and I don't understand your last line, do you mean it is likely that disc activity caused corruption?

ccs
02-05-17, 14:03
Thanks for that, "(give it a minute or two)" does that mean that Telnet may connect after a short while? and I don't understand your last line, do you mean it is likely that disc activity caused corruption?
It's impossible to say, if the box is running really slow, it's possible telnet will eventually connect, it all depends what's going wrong.
If enigma has crashed, then telnet should still work, allowing you a clean reboot.
If Linux has crashed, then the box is probably totally dormant, like it is before going into deep standby.

Switching off the power when there is disc activity could cause disc corruption - that's why using the on/off switch should be avoided if possible.

Even a box without any discs could still need a reflash to repair potential corruption.