PDA

View Full Version : Network Connectivity for new ViX install

MalR
04-02-17, 17:59
Hi All,

I've just upgraded my Solo2 to my first ViX image and everything went smoothly, however i have a couple of questions about the networking side of things.

Before the upgrade I used the Vu+ app on an aging iPad1 to stream radio content only, but now the app cannot see the solo2 box itself to start streaming.
The ipad if on the network (can browse the web) and the Solo2 can see the local LAN, just the both can't communicate.

Also before the upgrade, i used to browse the local network to the Solo2 from a windows machine and copy off recordings.
But now with ViX, windows explorer can't find the solo2 box, even if the IP address is entered manually.

As additional points, from the windows machine (win10) i can happily use OpenWebIF or FTP to connect to the Solo2, no problem.
And other network tools can see that the Solo2 is there, can be pinged etc.
And it seemed like the solo2 connected to the internet to update "stuff" during the setup stage, so i'm confident that the solo2 itself is on the network and it's not a simple <no LAN connection> type of problem.

So it seems to suggest that some port(s) or other are being blocked at the solo2 end stopping the iPad and explorer connections, but i have no idea what.
Having a random look around i can see that most of the network services are not started, but don't fully understand what most of them are or do.
To be honest, the explorer connection is not so important (thanks filezilla :) ), it's the ipad connection i need to re-establish more quickly.

Can anyone give me a helping hand of what to do or where to go next?

Cheers,

mal

Ashley69
04-02-17, 19:00
Try installing samba first.
Do you have a password set for http authentication.

Ashley69
04-02-17, 19:05
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?55376-403-Error-when-on-WAN
Could be a similar problem.

MalR
04-02-17, 21:25
Excellent, that did the trick - just needed Samba.

With my limited Unix knowledge i understood that Samba was basically used for connecting to external storage resources - such as a NAS for example.
So why is it that Samba in this case allows stuff to be shared outwardly?

Is there anywhere which explains in more detail about a few of the other services there - InaDyn, NFS and uShare?

Thanks for your help!

mal