PDA

View Full Version : Edision os-mega, to buy or not to buy?

Busterroo
26-01-17, 23:45
Hi all,
I have been the very happy owner of a vu solo2 for the past two years, I love vu's, got a zero in the kids room and an se in the bedroom, however I am considering replacing my solo2 with an OS-Mega, am I mad? The spec seems so good for the money. Am I right in thinking I can have 3 sat feeds and one terrestrial connected at the same time? My only negative is the gaudy white writing on the front panel that cheapens the product. Can someone convince me this a good idea and I'll buy one tonight and report back?

kokojnr
27-01-17, 00:18
I've got one and it's my main receiver, the specs is very good value for money.
It's got 3 sat feeds and 1 terrestrial, however I'm. Only using 2 sat feeds on mine.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

Sicilian
27-01-17, 16:51
I can't fault the OS Mega, its my main OpenViX test box atm.

garryboy
27-01-17, 17:10
What's the performance compared to the vu solo2 1300mhz chip, is it a big step up from that?

and also compared to the Arm chip in the mutant hd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sicilian
28-01-17, 08:12
What's the performance compared to the vu solo2 1300mhz chip, is it a big step up from that?

and also compared to the Arm chip in the mutant hd.

Theres no massive difference in speed between all 3 of them. I'd say the OS Mega and HD51 are slightly snappier than the Solo2.

For me its the spec of the OS Mega that makes it stand out. 3 Tuners, 2x Satellite tuner and the 3rd tuner is a multi-tuner that can be used for either DVB-S/S2, DVB-C or DVB-T2. Internal HDD, universal remote :) 512mb flash and 1GB ram. Embedded WiFi too.

maxal
28-01-17, 09:36
Totally agree that's why I bought the Edison OS-Mega

garryboy
28-01-17, 10:41
Ah decisions on what receiver to buy.

Budget is £200. I have twin sat input. Use oscam so Arm is fine for me.

Maxal you have had both the mutant and the Os mega. Which do you prefer.

maxal
28-01-17, 11:16
Hi Garryboy, Yes I have owned Mutant HD51 and I now have the Edison OS-Mega and I prefer the Edison it runs really smooth, has the 3 tuners and I like the remote.

garryboy
28-01-17, 13:58
Thanks maxal.

Busterroo
28-01-17, 14:10
Thanks everyone for the replies, very helpful. I went ahead and ordered the mega off the sponsor. Looking forward to setting it up now.

Busterroo
30-01-17, 20:47
Hi guys, I got my OS Mega delivered today and I'm sitting here fitting the HDD when I realize there is an empty space where the fan should be. I looked at the spec on the sponsors website and sure enough the fan is listed as optional in the specs however there is no option to buy the fan on the site. Is the fan necessary? I'm a tad worried and a bit pissed to be honest if it is.:confused:

garryboy
30-01-17, 21:30
Hopefully it's doesn't require a fan.

My xp1000 is fanless.

The HD supplied will a 5200rpm so won't generate that much heat.

Sicilian
30-01-17, 22:46
Hi guys, I got my OS Mega delivered today and I'm sitting here fitting the HDD when I realize there is an empty space where the fan should be. I looked at the spec on the sponsors website and sure enough the fan is listed as optional in the specs however there is no option to buy the fan on the site. Is the fan necessary? I'm a tad worried and a bit pissed to be honest if it is.:confused:

It's not required, Edision don't even have the fans as not needed.

Busterroo
31-01-17, 00:28
It's not required, Edision don't even have the fans as not needed.

I hope you're right but I wonder why it's listed as an option on the specs, why there is a socket labeled fan on the PCB and why every picture of the OS-Mega features a fitted fan? Even the box on the trailer has a fan.

garryboy
31-01-17, 08:21
Its an optional extra. If it is was a necessity it would not be optional.

I'm sure it would have been tested without a fan before going on sale.

Sicilian
31-01-17, 09:35
I hope you're right but I wonder why it's listed as an option on the specs, why there is a socket labeled fan on the PCB and why every picture of the OS-Mega features a fitted fan? Even the box on the trailer has a fan.

It's, not offered as not needed.

ahu381
26-03-17, 19:42
I am also looking to get one of these boxes. I currently have the OS Mini+ and am wondering if it's worth the upgrade.

Does Kodi run well, i.e are 1080p streams smooth or are they choppy? Streams through 'IPTV player' are slightly choppy on the Mini+, will they be any smoother on the Mega (as it has a faster processor and more Ram)? I would appreciate any info from anyone who has one. Thanks.

Zedabee
27-03-17, 15:22
Kodi really does run great...... I was expecting quite a slow/laggy experience but was very happy to find that it runs absolutely spot on, as smooth as my PC Kodi setup.

and yep, the 1080p sources run flawlessly too, so long as the source can keep up connectionwise

mr.raw
07-05-17, 13:02
Kodi really does run great...... I was expecting quite a slow/laggy experience but was very happy to find that it runs absolutely spot on, as smooth as my PC Kodi setup.

and yep, the 1080p sources run flawlessly too, so long as the source can keep up connectionwise

Can you go from Kodi to Sat without having to quit Kodi?

1999gtv
07-05-17, 13:33
No you have to quit kodi to go back to sat