PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] First Crash on 027

LanceH
25-01-17, 19:58
After running for a week on 026 without issue, had a crash just 24 hours after couch flashing 027 - the box recovered OK after an auto-restart

Hope it helps...

Andy_Hazza
25-01-17, 20:03
Do you have Kodi Direct installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LanceH
25-01-17, 20:04
No idea what that is - so no. No plugins, no softcams (whatever they are) only the skin (which was fine on 026).

Andy_Hazza
25-01-17, 20:11
Which skin?

LanceH
25-01-17, 20:13
ViXBMC_1080_Confluence which has been great on 026 and allows my wife to read the text on the screen without bins :p

Andy_Hazza
25-01-17, 20:15
hehe. Yeah it is a good skin. I'll get someone to look at the logs as I am on my mobile at the mo.

bbbuk
25-01-17, 21:04
Last few lines:

< 88631.069> Backtrace:
< 88631.070> /usr/bin/enigma2(_Z17handleFatalSignaliP9siginfo_tPv) [0x465B54]
< 88631.072> /lib/libc.so.6(gsignal) [0x7649E1B2]
< 88631.073> -------FATAL SIGNAL (6)

I have had this "fatal signal" odd time. In fact, I have found it to be rare and haven't had it for months now. I'm not on latest vix yet so I don't think it's related to latest vix.

Bangord30
25-01-17, 21:04
I'm confluence and .27. Mines just froze restarting after updating IPTV player.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

bbbuk
25-01-17, 23:06
I'm confluence and .27. Mines just froze restarting after updating IPTV player.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using TapatalkHave you a crash/debug log because your problem may have been due to iptv plugin (or another plugin).

Bangord30
25-01-17, 23:17
Think it was due to it yes. Had to switch off and on at rocker as lost IP and putty couldn't connect. All good now. No biggy. Was just saying 😉

Rob van der Does
26-01-17, 07:42
I've just tested Confluence on build 027 and I can't find any issue.
The crashlog in post #1 shows a 'segfault' which is a driver issue most of the times (and anyway somthing that doesn't provide any info'), so there's nothing we can do about this.

LanceH
26-01-17, 09:13
I've just tested Confluence on build 027 and I can't find any issue.
The crashlog in post #1 shows a 'segfault' which is a driver issue most of the times (and anyway somthing that doesn't provide any info'), so there's nothing we can do about this.

So this could have happened on 026 too? It seems odd that 026 was perfectly stable for a week of "hard" use and 027 fell over after just 24 hours.

Rob van der Does
26-01-17, 09:16
Possibly. It's impossible to say what triggers a segfault and when.

LanceH
26-01-17, 09:28
Possibly. It's impossible to say what triggers a segfault and when.

OK - I suppose my angle was should I revert to 026 or persist with 027. I'll probably stick with 027 unless another crash occurs.

Thanks!

Andy_Hazza
26-01-17, 09:33
028 will be released today.

LanceH
26-01-17, 19:58
028 will be released today.

For info.... trying to update to 028 using image manager fails - something about being unable to stop E2. Using software update appears to work (76 packages updated)

bbbuk
26-01-17, 21:10
@LanceH, As I said I've had this and found it to be vary rare even on older images.

There was no driver change between 026 and 027 so if it's driver issue then it's an ongoing driver issue.

LanceH
26-01-17, 21:17
@LanceH, As I said I've had this and found it to be vary rare even on older images.

There was no driver change between 026 and 027 so if it's driver issue then it's an ongoing driver issue.

The couch update to 028 from 027 fails due to a possible driver issue???

abu baniaz
26-01-17, 21:31
The couch update to 028 from 027 fails due to a possible driver issue???

The warning message has been removed.

What do you man by "couch update" please?

Some of possibilities are:
1. Online update
1. Software update. i.e Menu > Setup > Software update
2. Flash using Image manager. Then do not restore anything
3. Flash using Image manager. Then Restore settings only
4. Flash using Image manager. Then Restore settings and plugins
5. Flash using USB flash drive. Then do not restore anything
6. Flash using USB flash drive. Then Restore settings only
7. Flash using USB flash drive. Then Restore settings and plugins

LanceH
26-01-17, 21:59
I was replying to post #17... not sure what the poster was referring to. Confusing!

For clarity: I tried to couch flash* earlier as per post #16. It failed, it normally works.

Using "Software Update" worked though. So I'm happy. I was simply trying to point out an issue.

All good now.

* Not sure what "Online Update" above is? I assumed I needed to use Image Manager to flash a new build (which has worked previously) - although I tend to use USB to flash if I fancy a fresh box.

abu baniaz
26-01-17, 22:26
Online update = Menu > Setup > Software Update

I shall use that from now on. Previous post to be updated.

Whether you install image by USB or Image Manager, it is still a fresh box as everything on flash memory is changed. Only technicality is the splash file which is on a separate partition anyway.

LanceH
28-01-17, 08:41
Another box lock up and then crash. Back to 026.

Sicilian
28-01-17, 08:53
Another box lock up and then crash. Back to 026.

I'm running four boxes which have gone from 026 > 027 > 028 without issues.

1) What exact plugins have you installed?
2) What exact skin?
3) Have you tried a complete fresh flash of 028 with NO settings or plugins restores?

LanceH
28-01-17, 09:05
I'm running four boxes which have gone from 026 > 027 > 028 without issues.

1) What exact plugins have you installed?
2) What exact skin?
3) Have you tried a complete fresh flash of 028 with NO settings or plugins restores?

1) No plugins
2) 1080 Confluence
3) No

LanceH
28-01-17, 10:09
Appears to be the Confluence skin... tried to select on completely fresh flash and it just loops on the splash screen on ANY build.

Rob van der Does
28-01-17, 10:14
I tried Confluence to reproduce this, but I couldn't.
A debug and/or crash log would help.

LanceH
28-01-17, 10:49
Since the box needs to be reflashed when the GUI restart hangs, and having to restart the box via power off/on (nothing else works) there are no logs.

To be clear, by fresh box I mean I reinitialise the HDD as well as USB flashing 026/028 - either does the same. Apart from setting up the usual initial compulsory settings, the skin is the FIRST thing I tried before ABM and Cross EPG and any other settings. The Confluence skin used to work just fine, but seems to be "sub-optimal" now.

Sicilian
28-01-17, 11:37
It's very unclear what you are doing.

1) Fresh flash build 4.2.028.
2) Complete wizard.
3) Install skin from feeds.
4) Reboot, hold down power button on remote and select restart.

Any crash after doing exactly as above? If so provide crash log please.

Bangord30
28-01-17, 11:40
Confluence seems fine here on my duo 2

Rob van der Does
28-01-17, 11:50
To be clear, by fresh box I mean I reinitialise the HDD as well as USB flashing 026/028
There is absolutely no point in touching your media. It only costs time, and deletes all recordings and otherwise.

BTW: I don't understand how you re-initialised the media; if I understood you correctly the box is in a boot-loop.

LanceH
28-01-17, 14:00
There is absolutely no point in touching your media. It only costs time, and deletes all recordings and otherwise.

BTW: I don't understand how you re-initialised the media; if I understood you correctly the box is in a boot-loop.

In an attempt to resolve the instability of 028 and the apparent issue when I try and download the Confluence skin and select it, I decided to go back to a virgin box. To do this thoroughly, I re-initialised the HDD and USB flashed with NO restores whatsoever. I have NO plugins at all.

Whether I'm on FRESH 026 or FRESH 028, and BEFORE I change ANY settings apart from the very initial ones, Confluence downloads fine, is available in the Skin selector and once selected, the box does its usual GUI restart. Except it just ends up in an infinite loop on the "country lane" screen with the spinner (the Confluence spinner, not the VIX spinner) forever. The only way to get out of this is to power off and on at the rocker switch. Even then, the box only boots up as far as the "Country lane" screen in exactly the same way as when restarting the GUI. In other words, the box is useless until I USB flash the image again. Hope that is clearer?

Again, for removal of doubt, this is a 4 week old box from WoS. As I stated in the OP, for me 026 is rock solid, but not 027/028 - apart from the fact that Confluence now locks the box up, which it didn't used to. Bizarre?

I have my recordings backed up via ftp, so that's not an issue for me...!

LanceH
28-01-17, 15:44
I suppose another question (I'm used to Android and the ability to clear cache, data partitions and so on via Recovery), I'm assuming that having clean flashed and wiped the HDD (perhaps unnecessarily) is there something left behind (possibly corrupted) in non-volatile memory that a clean flash doesn't wipe/overwrite? What exactly does Factory Reset do? Is there a deeper wipe possible? Something is causing problems that flashing isn't fixing.

bbbuk
28-01-17, 18:28
I suppose another question (I'm used to Android and the ability to clear cache, data partitions and so on via Recovery), I'm assuming that having clean flashed and wiped the HDD (perhaps unnecessarily) is there something left behind (possibly corrupted) in non-volatile memory that a clean flash doesn't wipe/overwrite? What exactly does Factory Reset do? Is there a deeper wipe possible? Something is causing problems that flashing isn't fixing.Going by an earlier statement of yours:

I re-initialised the HDD and USB flashed with NO restores whatsoever. I have NO plugins at all.Then there is nothing else that can be done. That is a complete wipe of all data. BTW, re-initialising the HDD/USB isn't required as all the image does format HDD/USB and create a shortcut to HDD/USB (aka mount HDD/USB).

If this is on your Solo2 using Vix 028 with no restore of settings or plugins and no plugins installed at all except downloading confluence skin then I'll try this bit later and report back...

LanceH
28-01-17, 19:11
Going by an earlier statement of yours:

I re-initialised the HDD and USB flashed with NO restores whatsoever. I have NO plugins at all.Then there is nothing else that can be done. That is a complete wipe of all data. BTW, re-initialising the HDD/USB isn't required as all the image does format HDD/USB and create a shortcut to HDD/USB (aka mount HDD/USB).

If this is on your Solo2 using Vix 028 with no restore of settings or plugins and no plugins installed at all except downloading confluence skin then I'll try this bit later and report back...

Appreciate it. The main reason for the HDD "initialisation" is the remnants of the skins are there - which MAY have caused problems. Or not. Anyway, belts and braces... all avenues open.

Rob van der Does
28-01-17, 19:41
I suppose another question (I'm used to Android and the ability to clear cache, data partitions and so on via Recovery), I'm assuming that having clean flashed and wiped the HDD (perhaps unnecessarily) is there something left behind (possibly corrupted) in non-volatile memory that a clean flash doesn't wipe/overwrite? What exactly does Factory Reset do? Is there a deeper wipe possible? Something is causing problems that flashing isn't fixing.
Nope; flashing the box overwrites the flash memory completely.

bbbuk
28-01-17, 20:30
@LanceH,

This is what I did. I USB flashed Vix 028 on my Solo2 with no restore of any settings and accepting initial default installation options (except for choosing 1080 and 50hz). Didn't make any other changes to setup and from plugins > skins I selected openvix-vixbmc-1080-confluence skin which downloaded it. I went into User Interface menu option within menu and selected this skin. The image restarted GUI and started fine - no problems. I then did a full restart of image and it started fine also - no problems.

Is this what you did?

LanceH
28-01-17, 21:08
Exactly that... on 026 and 028. Apart from going through the setup (language etc.) I'm wondering if I've selected the wrong skin? Are there 2 versions? I can't try it at the moment as it's recording some talent show effort...

Andy_Hazza
28-01-17, 22:03
Can you fresh flash 028, do your setup bit and then install the Confluence skin and restart GUI. If this results in the country side looping, can you issue the following using Putty please?

init 4 && opkg update && opkg upgrade && init 6

LanceH
28-01-17, 22:07
Shall try that in the morning... thanks. Telnet or SSH?

Andy_Hazza
28-01-17, 22:13
Telnet please.

LanceH
29-01-17, 14:03
It now appears to fine... however, there is one difference with how I did it. I used a different USB stick. With the previous one, I get the skin error, with the new stick, no errors with the Confluence skin at all. I tried the previous USB stick and no-go, tried the new one straight after and all good. Just to be sure, I reformatted both sticks and copied the same image and recreated the problem or got the skin working repeatedly...

ricfeen
30-01-17, 13:56
@Lance, I have the exact same issue as you were experiencing. I tried many different versions but as soon as i install a skin and try and activate the box retarts but is on the infinite loop on the "country lane" screen with the spinner showing now and again. I was using the blue sly type skin, cannot think of the exact name of it.

I have to flash each time i try this so am running 021 now and using default skin.

LanceH
30-01-17, 19:27
@Lance, I have the exact same issue as you were experiencing. I tried many different versions but as soon as i install a skin and try and activate the box retarts but is on the infinite loop on the "country lane" screen with the spinner showing now and again. I was using the blue sly type skin, cannot think of the exact name of it.

I have to flash each time i try this so am running 021 now and using default skin.

Perhaps try the procedure that Andy Hazza posted in post #38/40?

So far mine's behaving - I still find it odd that the USB stick used appears to affect this...

redsi72
30-01-17, 22:37
@lance, thanks for posting as I am having the same issue.This is all new to me so I am slowly working my way through the posts to find answers. I will give the above advice a go later on.
Since getting my box from the sponsors I must be causing this issue with loading skins! so far I can only get the default skin to work.
Great forum, I have lots to learn.

ricfeen
31-01-17, 20:04
Perhaps try the procedure that Andy Hazza posted in post #38/40?

So far mine's behaving - I still find it odd that the USB stick used appears to affect this...

Ok I wil try that command, but will I ned to run it eac time I change skin. I also tried with a usb drive and a hdd but have same issue. Looping startup screen.

LanceH
31-01-17, 20:12
Ok I wil try that command, but will I ned to run it eac time I change skin. I also tried with a usb drive and a hdd but have same issue. Looping startup screen.

The USB stick I referred to was to flash. I don't leave a USB stick in the box at any time - everything is HDD for me. So - my success came from flashing the box with a new USB stick. The old one causes the looping on GUI restart - it SEEMS.

ricfeen
31-01-17, 21:42
The USB stick I referred to was to flash. I don't leave a USB stick in the box at any time - everything is HDD for me. So - my success came from flashing the box with a new USB stick. The old one causes the looping on GUI restart - it SEEMS.

Ok I understand you now. So you did not run any commands...I also normally only use a hdd.

I'll try and dig out another usb stick, but its unlikely we both and others have all faulty usb flash drives.

ronand
31-01-17, 21:50
There are thousands of solo2 boxes out there and only 3 people reporting a problem so go figure.

LanceH
31-01-17, 22:07
All running these versions of VIX eh? And changing skins?

Thanks for the contribution.

ricfeen
31-01-17, 22:27
There are thousands of solo2 boxes out there and only 3 people reporting a problem so go figure.

Well using a process of elimination it must be down to the VU+ Duo box then.....@LanceH what box have you?

LanceH
31-01-17, 22:46
The one in the thread title.... Solo 2