PDA

View Full Version : Stuck At First Flash

micscave
15-05-10, 17:51
Hey all
I finaly got my box today & I'm very new to this Linux caper. I've downloaded the latest dream Elite image 1.3.2. I'm trying to follow Sics tut on flashing with a USB stick. As I understand it, when I unzip the file I should have 3 files but iI only seem to have 1 (DreamEliteBH_VUDUO_132_USB)

Do I put this in vuplus/duo on the USB stick or should there be the 3 files like in the tut ?

Thanks for your time.

catseye
15-05-10, 18:07
Format you usb stick -choose fat32

Download image & unzip/rar file

Then copy & paste downloaded folder to usb stick

Latest DE image should say DreamEliteBH_VUDUO_132_USB

Open up usb folders to check

Should have following

1st folder= vu plus
2nd folder=duo
3rd folder= should see 3 files which are boot , kernel & root

If they are all there then no problems m8

Switch off vu & put stick in front usb slot

SWitch on vu & automatically should installl new image & reboot

Remove stick & amend settings on box to suit

Get you box to communicate with router etc, add e2 settings file etc

micscave
15-05-10, 18:30
Thanks for the reply catseye.
The trouble is that when i unzip the downloaded file, I don't get a folder, just a file named (DreamEliteBH_VUDUO_132_USB)
I'm using windows 7 & Vista, would that have anything to do with it ?

micscave
15-05-10, 19:04
Sorted, I've downloaded the file from the Dream Elite site and it works now. The one from this site didn't so I don't know if there is something wrong with it.

Cheers

catseye
15-05-10, 19:19
Glad you got it sorted

micscave
15-05-10, 20:03
OK I thought I was sorted. I've got the right folders & files on my formated FAT32 USB stick. Switched off the duo & inserted usb stick. I've switched on the duo again & I get the egg timers spinning and then it sticks on the Vu+ your smart linux TV player splash screen with "loading enigma2......" in the bottom right hand corner of the screen & nothing else happens.
It's the same without the usb stick in too.
Any ideas ?

cheers

grtmoby
15-05-10, 20:12
u should remove the usb after it finish loading (before turning the receiver power supply off and then on from the back switch).
I'd suggest to try it one more time and preferable with a diff image like original or vti for example

micscave
15-05-10, 20:25
u should remove the usb after it finish loading (before turning the receiver power supply off and then on from the back switch).
I'd suggest to try it one more time and preferable with a diff image like original or vti for exampleThanks for your reply grtmoby. I thought I was supposed to get some prompts though when i switch the machine on with the stick in to install the image. That dosen't happen & like I say it just hangs on the splash screen

grtmoby
15-05-10, 20:34
How to flash a VU+ Duo using a USB stick

Quick guide how to flash a VU+ Duo receiver with a USB stick. Tools required are just your favourite image and at least a 128mb memory stick formatted FAT32.

1. Format you memory stick on you PC FAT32.
2. Create a directory in called vuplus.
3. Within the the vuplus directory create another folder called duo.
4. Unzip the USB upgrade files into that directory.
5. Power off your VU+ Duo.
6. Insert memory stick into front USB slot.
7. Power on your VU+ Duo and follow the on screen instructions.

8. when prompted to restart the box, turn off the power switch at the back
9. Remove the usb.
10. Power on the receiver.

All should be good... and as i said, try another image and see how it goes with it, may be the one you are downloading is corrupted or so.

Thanks goes to Sicilian here (http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?3-How-to-flash-a-VU-Duo-using-a-USB-stick)

micscave
16-05-10, 02:05
Hey all,
Still no luck with this, I've tried original image 4.6, latest vti image & latest Dream Elite image. When I switch the machine on the same thing happens, egg timers spin then it just hangs on the splash screen with "loading Enigma2......" in the bottom right hand corner

I've formated the stick to FAT32, created the folders and dropped the 3 files into vuplus/duo. I've followed sics tutorial to the letter.
I've also tried 2 different usb sticks.

Any other ideas please.

Cheers

micscave
16-05-10, 04:02
Ok sorted now. it seems like my box didn't like the usb sticks I was using. Tried a third one and flash worked straight away.
thanks for all your help.

Sicilian
16-05-10, 05:17
Sorry my late input in this, was quite busy yesterday.

I have read reports of some USB sticks not working when flashing the VU+ Duo. I'm going to start a thread for members to list working brands of USB sticks.

grtmoby
16-05-10, 07:27
Goooooooooooood....

All is well that ends well, another happy m8 :D

micscave
16-05-10, 11:21
Ha your right there, I was up till 5 am though. OK I was watching the fight but the missus didn't see it like that, she wants to start a Vu+ widows club.

As to which usb sticks didn't work, I used 2 different SanDisk models. The one that worked was a Medion 8gb from Aldi which worked like a beautie.

So do I get the longest flash so far award ? 14 hours I think it was. Also I would just like to say that white is the new black as far as remotes go.
I like the remote it feels nice in the hand and is good quality. I've just gotta stop my 2 year old getting hold of it and giving it a jam coating.

Cheers all

grtmoby
16-05-10, 11:29
love it strawberry pls :)

catseye
16-05-10, 11:50
Ha your right there, I was up till 5 am though. OK I was watching the fight but the missus didn't see it like that, she wants to start a Vu+ widows club.

As to which usb sticks didn't work, I used 2 different SanDisk models. The one that worked was a Medion 8gb from Aldi which worked like a beautie.

So do I get the longest flash so far award ? 14 hours I think it was. Also I would just like to say that white is the new black as far as remotes go.
I like the remote it feels nice in the hand and is good quality. I've just gotta stop my 2 year old getting hold of it and giving it a jam coating.

Cheers all

Agree about the widows stuff & another thing my kids have sussed how to work it so im left reading the paper again!

grtmoby
16-05-10, 12:02
Agree about the widows stuff & another thing my kids have sussed how to work it so im left reading the paper again!

Good they are giving the time to do it :roflmao:

bob1
16-05-10, 12:38
I had the same problem and it took 3 goes to get one to work ,problem is its not my flash drive so i need to get one,is there a list of ones that work?

catseye
16-05-10, 12:45
Have a look here Bob

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?555-Please-post-your-working-brand-of-USB-stick-used-to-flash-your-VU-Duo

satmanbasil
16-05-10, 13:01
Hi mate

Just like to toss a possible cause that some may experience if seeing just the splash screen..... If the receiver is not set to the bird dish is pointing too or channel is encrypted then the screen will stay locked on the splash maybe givin the impression its frozen. A good thing to get used to do is watching your lcd panel on the front of the box as a way of checking its progress. Also if after a while of no pictures apart from splash and after spinner has stopped maybe press your menu button to see if the menu pops up, then you can go about checking your install. Oh and also another good practice is before you flash a new image make sure your VU+ is tuned to a fta channel as by default the receiver reboots to the last channel seen. These are silly things over time i have learnt but have saved me hours of problem solving in the past.

regards
satmanbasil

Stanman
16-05-10, 13:12
I had the same problem and it took 3 goes to get one to work ,problem is its not my flash drive so i need to get one,is there a list of ones that work?

I used the play.com branded one 16GB, it worked a treat, and cheap as well. The only thing is it was bought 3 months ago and they may have changed the supplier.

bob1
16-05-10, 13:13
Have a look here Bob

http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?555-Please-post-your-working-brand-of-USB-stick-used-to-flash-your-VU-Duo

Thanks for that ,don't want to keep buying flash drives to get one that works.

martyd
16-05-10, 14:12
i have loads of them problem is most are cheap unbranded 1gb, but i assume this means nothing as sandisk are pretty good, the problem may lie in the fact most usb pens are not what they appear the market place is flooded in knock offs i had four different model sony stick flash all knock offs but looked kosher.