PDA

View Full Version : What's special about the Kingston USB flash drives.

blackvenom
19-01-17, 12:29
So I need to re-flash my Edision OS Mini Twin Sat as I can't do an online update due to a kernel conflict. In the guide it says to use a Kingston USB flash drive no bigger than 8GB.

Now I don't have a Kingston 8GB drive so wondering what's special about them? Don't want to brick my STB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashley69
19-01-17, 12:47
You don't have to use a Kingston but it's recommended that you use a decent named brand (sandisk etc) not the cheap chinese oness of eBay.
Using a smaller sized one is said to be more reliable but not sure why. I've used a 64 go to flash my boxes.

DaMacFunkin
19-01-17, 12:59
It comes down to chipset and timings really, also build quality over a period of time, i use an integral 2gb stick for flashing everything in my house, i have never found a media device or stb that hasn't recognized it.

joysleep1
19-01-17, 14:19
It comes down to chipset and timings really, also build quality over a period of time, i use an integral 2gb stick for flashing everything in my house, i have never found a media device or stb that hasn't recognized it.

I use a toshiba 4gb or 8gb stick i think. No problems with that

blackvenom
19-01-17, 22:11
Thanks folks. I'll have a look in my box and see what's available [emoji1360]

Rob van der Does
20-01-17, 06:09
There are several issues to be considered:
1- Most (all??) USB devices use a slightly different USB sub-protocol. Although they should be compatible, this is not always the case.
2- Not all boxes accept all USB-device sizes for flashing (the same applies to every device: always make sure your smart-phone will actually work with 128GB SD card before buying one, it is in the specs). Using a small (2/4/8 GB) USB stick ensures compatibility (although some boxes may accept larger ones).
3- The FAT32 formatting doesn't always work out well, whether pre-formatted or done by a Windows computer. The attached program ensures proper formatting.

blackvenom
20-01-17, 09:04
Thanks Rob. I have a number of branded USB drives which work well everywhere else so fingers crossed I won't have any issues.

No1gooner
20-01-17, 11:14
Use can always just flash using image manager, no need for USB just do it through the box, make a settings backup first then go into image manager press yellow for downloads and download latest image, once done go into your image backups and just hit restore on the latest image you just downloaded.

Rob van der Does
20-01-17, 13:05
'Couch flashing' requires a fine working box under ViX (or any other image that supports live image restore). USB-flash doesn't; it always works on any box in any (firmware) condition.

No1gooner
20-01-17, 13:57
Presuming the OP is on 4.2 and just wants to update to the latest 026 because of the recent kernel change then as I have a os mini like the OP I couch flashed from 016 to 026 fine.

Rob van der Does
20-01-17, 14:09
Yep, absolutely.

blackvenom
22-01-17, 07:19
Couch flash done and working a treat [emoji1360]