PDA

View Full Version : Cable split 3 ways

redrage
17-01-17, 20:57
Hello,

I need to split my cable feed three ways ( currently split 2 ways ). When I do this using a 3 way splitter the picture on on my edison mini dvb-c keeps pixelating ( Its fine on a two way split ). So I'm guessing the issue is signal due to the 3 way split. Is there any sort of booster I can use to rectify this ? Thanks in advance

Mark

Andy_Hazza
17-01-17, 21:25
Better off doing loopthrough. Cable into tuner A, loopthrough cable from A to B, B to C.
Peeps tend to use Attenuator's for cable to help with signal issues etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redrage
17-01-17, 21:35
Hi, thanks for the info and please excuse my ignorance.

So if I keep my two way split, I have one cable going to my router, then could I plug the other cable into my edison then loop it to another box ?

Andy_Hazza
17-01-17, 22:01
Yeah so keep your two way as it is and then cable from splitter to Tuner A. Then you would have short loopthrough cables, and they would go from Tuner A to B, Tuner B to C.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe_90
18-01-17, 02:01
An attenuator is the last thing you should use if you have low signal issues. A three-way splitter reduces the incoming signal by probably 5 - 6db. A two-way splitter reduces the incoming signal by about 3db (3db = 50% signal loss).

DaMacFunkin
18-01-17, 08:21
Also he is talking about looping to another box, not another internal tuner.
There are amplified splitters you can use, many are cheap Chinese ones and you might need to change your end connectors, note I wouldn't use one inline with your modem, just your TV.
Extra note if you mess with connectors make sure you do a good job, some cable frequencys are really susceptible to noise.

redrage
18-01-17, 08:54
Also he is talking about looping to another box, not another internal tuner.
There are amplified splitters you can use, many are cheap Chinese ones and you might need to change your end connectors, note I wouldn't use one inline with your modem, just your TV.
Extra note if you mess with connectors make sure you do a good job, some cable frequencys are really susceptible to noise.

So it is possible to loop from a tuner in one box to a tuner in a different box without any extra amplified splitters etc ??

DaMacFunkin
18-01-17, 09:54
Possible maybe, but you may end up loosing signal if it is a long cable run.

Joe_90
18-01-17, 14:06
Just be aware that if you loop from one box to another you will lose signal entirely if you switch off the first box or put it in deep standby. If you normally keep the first box in operation or in normal standby, then the signal will loop ok.

redrage
27-01-17, 10:36
Ok,

So... Sucessfully looped from Edison to Tivo box with the original two way splitter still being used. But, now the heart TiVo light is flashing, I believe means things like on demand services won't work / not connected to the network. Normal tv seems fine. So I was wondering for the on demand services to work does the TiVo box need a direct feed and not looped from another box or could this be a signal issue ?

Thanks in advance.

DaMacFunkin
27-01-17, 12:06
It needs to be able to send data the other way, because you are looping through another tuner it can't do this so yes in this situation you would need to direct feed.

redrage
27-01-17, 12:29
Hmmmm, is there any way around this as when I use a three way splitter the signal loss is to much. I can't loop from Tivo to Edison box as there is no output on the Tivo tuner.

redrage
30-01-17, 13:32
I'm guessing that's a no then :D

joysleep1
30-01-17, 14:45

maybe a powered spliiter

redrage
30-01-17, 14:50
maybe a powered spliiter

Can you link me up to a decent one please ?

Bangord30
30-01-17, 15:06
Or a Konig brick booster? If not the same thing lol

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

joysleep1
30-01-17, 15:29
Can you link me up to a decent one please ?

Sorry i do not know of any good splitters that are out there. I am sure someone else would be able to provide you with a link

kokojnr
13-02-17, 00:56
Did you ever get this sorted?
I'm thinking of doing same

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

redrage
13-02-17, 09:32
Did you ever get this sorted?
I'm thinking of doing same

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

No, currently I have it looped but the Tivo box has a constant flashing light because of this, a 3 way split just loses too much power unfortunately.

kokojnr
13-02-17, 09:50
Shame really, was thinking of moving my redundant box to the bedroom.
I'm guessing virgin will charge to come out and do the wiring.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk

redrage
13-02-17, 17:11
Best part of £100 I think

kokojnr
13-02-17, 17:22
Best part of £100 I think
I will pass on that one lol.

Sent from mobile using Tapatalk